Skip to content

Euros General Thread

Comments

• edited June 2021

Your quite right @Malone we all see the game differently (and it would be extremely boring if we did!) I personally think Foden is already the best English midfielder and can only get better.

As I said previously, Grealish is a good player, but I think the likes of Mount, Rice, Foden and Henderson are more suited to international football. In addition Bellingham and our old friend Eze have massive potential.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Surely the whole Scottish squad should have e to self isolate ?? They have been with him all the time, certainly more than 2 English players

This is absolute bollocks. The Scottish training camp is in England. They should all be obeying the same rules. Or are you telling me that no one in the Scottish squad came into contact with Gilmour. Ducking nonsense

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@HolmerBlue said:
    Surely the whole Scottish squad should have e to self isolate ?? They have been with him all the time, certainly more than 2 English players

This is absolute bollocks. The Scottish training camp is in England. They should all be obeying the same rules. Or are you telling me that no one in the Scottish squad came into contact with Gilmour. Ducking nonsense

Indeed, which is why half the Scots squad have been deleting stuff off social media. Yeah, he hugged two of our players and they only isolated as a precaution, but then he sat next to someone presumably for hours on the team bus and mixed with the whole squad after. Sounds like they are hoping it's contained rather than doing anything about it, I believe they call that the Johnson.

• It may give Southgate a chance to pop another defensive midfield player into the starting 11.

• @drcongo said:
    In my head the Vauxhall Belmont was only available in metallic green.

Not forgetting 90 day blue and doom blue. Anyone in the vehicle trade will know what I mean.?

• edited June 2021

Chilwell and Mount have to isolate until Monday (yet the Scotland squad can carry on as normal ?). Foden into the 10 role and Grealish to the left, hopefully.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    It may give Southgate a chance to pop another defensive midfield player into the starting 11.

The dream Hendo Phillips Rice combo.

• @Malone said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    It may give Southgate a chance to pop another defensive midfield player into the starting 11.

The dream Hendo Phillips Rice combo.

Let's see if we can get some extra fullbacks in too

• Grealish set to start tonight ?

• Indeed, here we go...

• Talk of Maguire and Henderson being involved. Hmm...

• Reading these comments makes me hate Southgate even more.... He's a young PC Hodgson in reality

• I see we're setting up for superspreader semis and final.

• Saka set to start as well. Very good player, but it hardly goes along with Southgate not wanting to put too much pressure on inexperienced players. He clearly doesn't rate Jadon Sancho, which should be a sacking offence in itself.

• It's a dead rubber now and they probably all know he won't actually pick any of them in the knockout games. Not massive pressure.

• edited June 2021

It's not really a dead rubber - you want to win every game at a tournament, none of this 'it would be better to finish 2nd' nonsense (which it actually wouldn't). Momentum is huge and we currently have approximately none.

• England fans dream of creative players being let off the leash.

England managers dream of Jordan Henderson getting back to match fitness.

• @Shev said:
    England fans dream of creative players being let off the leash.

I'd probably have Henderson in over Rice at the moment because I think he's more proactive and our build-up play gets 'stuck' in midfield, but he's played, what, an hour since February? I hope I'm proved wrong, but I have my reservations.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Shev said:

I'd probably have Henderson in over Rice at the moment because I think he's more proactive and our build-up play gets 'stuck' in midfield, but he's played, what, an hour since February? I hope I'm proved wrong, but I have my reservations.

Rice, Henderson and Phillips have all had good games at points where they get up and down the pitch and get passes forward, the question seems to be wether we always need two of them, what their instructions are and what sort of shape they are in. Can't help thinking when we are failing to create anything and getting bogged down wether a Foden or Bellingham would be better in there and more able to contribute further forward. Constantly requiring two to sit in when you are short further forward seems to suggest you fear your defence is a bit crappy.
    Anyway, sure it'll all be fascinating this evening..

• For me what we need is the players on the pitch...whoever they may be...playing it forward in a positive manner to a lurking Kane at the top of the pitch rather than back and sideways! I daresay we will run riot tonight in advance of a dire penalty shoot-out loss in the first knock-out game! :smiley:

• @StrongestTeam said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Shev said:

Rice, Henderson and Phillips have all had good games at points where they get up and down the pitch and get passes forward, the question seems to be wether we always need two of them, what their instructions are and what sort of shape they are in. Can't help thinking when we are failing to create anything and getting bogged down wether a Foden or Bellingham would be better in there and more able to contribute further forward. Constantly requiring two to sit in when you are short further forward seems to suggest you fear your defence is a bit crappy.
    Anyway, sure it'll all be fascinating this evening..

Phillips' role v Croatia was ideal, hopefully see that again tonight (probably won't)

• I'd stick Calvert Lewin up with Kane, at least he'd be a target

• I'd drop Kane. He was completely anonymous in the last game.

• @drcongo said:
    I'd drop Kane. He was completely anonymous in the last game.

He wasn't getting any service, but I still think he doesn't look fully fit / has his club future on his mind (one is possibly a result of the other). But he'll start.

• I thought it was worse than lack of service. He kept strolling deep into midfield despite the fact that he doesn't have the pace to get back up front if England get the ball. At one point he was an extra holding mid.

• And when I say strolling, I mean strolling. So slow.

• Kane is always a bit of an oddity. Will boot 30 goals a season if fit, yet so often looks absolutely bereft of mobility.

City and talk of a 100m bid suggests they're not too worried.

I can't work out if Kane is the sort of player where injuries and ability will see him drop like a stone post 30, or whether the lack of actual mobility means there isn't as much to drop. Will be an interesting watch if he does move.

• We have a tough job tonight to try and engineer a 2nd place finish, and avoid the dangerous looking Group F winners.

A draw would do it, if Croatia can beat Scotland 3-0! (presuming it's not on head to head records etc, @ReturnToSenda will know for sure)

• Yes @drcongo, he reminded me of Trevor Aylott.
    As MON said, warm up Trevor you’re coming off.

• "warm up Trevor you’re coming off" never fails to make me laugh.