Skip to content

VAR

Comments

• @WanderingDays said:
    The Spain penalty was absolutely stonewall! How can you dispute that after watching the clip above?

In fairness, we should probably consider that the Spain player might have ankled the Poland player in the foot and not the other way round.

• @MorrisItal_ said:

@micra said:
    Getting lively at Hampden Park. Is the Co-commentator Lee Hendrie on speed or, more likely, the guy from Homes under the Hammer (? Dion Dublin).

Homes under the Hammer, 30 minutes of painting bedrooms magnolia interrupted by two visits from sweaty estate agents

It's vaguely entertaining.

Until you start thinking through the concept of people purposely buying up extra properties out of sheer greed, while some poor person somewhere has to live hand to mouth to pay their mortgage.

Pretty horrible really.

• All consequences of Thatcher's greed is good policies. At the expense of harmonious communities.
    One of the small pleasure's I enjoy, is when you see those landlords with their 2nd or 3rd house whingeing when they cant get the rent out of their tennants.

• Those tv shows always make it look like the landlord is pretty much powerless to do anything for months and months, or even years, letting some ponce rack up 10s of grand of debt.

In reality it seems pretty certain they'd find a way to "persuade" those tenants out.

• I have the same regard for 'landlords' who buy property to rent out, as the vermin who steal out of charity boxes.

• Wales down to ten for a shocking challenge from Ampadu, not dissimilar to the Poland one. Game's gone.

• Perhaps those less tactically naive than me could explain why at 85 minutes and 1-0 down..centre forwards don't close down defenders who are just pinging it about along the back line...

• edited June 2021

@Wendoverman said:
    Perhaps those less tactically naive than me could explain why at 85 minutes and 1-0 down..centre forwards don't close down defenders who are just pinging it about along the back line...

Cause that would give them a great big gap to play out into. Wait for the pressing trigger (heavy touch, player receiving on weak foot / right by touchline etc), then engage.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Perhaps those less tactically naive than me could explain why at 85 minutes and 1-0 down..centre forwards don't close down defenders who are just pinging it about along the back line...

Cause that would give them a great big gap to play out into. Wait for the pressing trigger (heavy touch, player receiving on weak foot / right by touchline etc), then engage.

Or both teams were quite happy with the result as it stands.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Wendoverman said:

Or both teams were quite happy with the result as it stands.

Yeah, that too!

• @micra said:
    Where would we be without stairs going up to the bedroom?

In a bungalow like you & me mate!

• Just you @EwanHoosaami. We’re split level (because of slope) and have a five step ‘staircase’ ! I’m planning to get a mini stannah type stairlift installed before too long because we are both struggling a bit, especially going up. Not sure if you’ve been supporting the Wanderers long enough to have known him but, back in the ‘seventies and ‘eighties, the club had a groundsman/kitman/spongeman/general factotum named ‘Jock’ Sheppard and in 1984 he installed a handrail - solid as a rock - and we are eternally grateful !

Apologies for digression. I know I’m in the eternal (infernal?) VAR thread.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@WanderingDays said:
    The Spain penalty was absolutely stonewall! How can you dispute that after watching the clip above?

In fairness, we should probably consider that the Spain player might have ankled the Poland player in the foot and not the other way round.

It happens - VAR confirmed as much by endorsing this penalty decision:

• How does VAR not even review the Russian penalty?

• If VAR can't overrule that then it really isn't fit for purpose

An embarrassingly woeful penalty decision

• And then doesn't give an absolutely blatant one to France

Absolute joke

• Ref in the France game doing his best to counter all the praise his colleagues have received so far. Although the French players arguing strenuously that Lloris is somehow entitled to punch people in the face was a bit off too

• Italy benefit from Arnautovic armpit offside. Off goes the game.

• Aah...Italy and Austria getting a taste of Stuart Atwell and british var...long wait and massve disappointment

• Horrendous 3rd umpire decision at the T20 cricket finals tonight, when the umpires essentially got the laws wrong. Luckily the better side still won.

• That result capped a great day @Chris.

• @Chris said:
    Horrendous 3rd umpire decision at the T20 cricket finals tonight, when the umpires essentially got the laws wrong. Luckily the better side still won.

Was that the Cox catch and Bell-Drummond collision? I had the TV on but no sound. I thought it might have been given as a 6 and when it was assumed the laws were applied correctly….

• That's the situation.

The relevant law (19.5 Fielder grounded beyond the boundary) says that the extra fielder only counts if the umpire considers that it was the intention of either fielder that the contact should assist in the fielding of the ball which clearly wasn't the case.

• Agreed, Bell-Drummond was doing his best to avoid Cox.
    Having said that in 30 plus years of playing and watching, that’s the first time I have ever seen that.

• VAR fans should have a look at the Wolfsburg sending off that's just happened vs Sevilla.

• That’s Fred levels of nonsense that.

• VAR needs to be adjusted so that it is clearer to everyone (fans, players and Management) involved. Like with Cricket and Rugby, the communication between the on-field official and TMO/3rd Umpire is open for people to hear the communication. If that happens, no one can come back to the officials and ask "How did they get that decision?!"
    Also, the official is only shown 1 angle of an incident, surely with all of the cameras in the stadium, the fans / officials can show multiple angles to sell or assist them in making a decision which also happens in Rugby and Cricket.

• Odd game to choose to watch, Eric? Out of interest why?

• I was watching the BT Sport show where they cover all the games and switch to wherever something significant has just happened

Really enjoyable way to watch the games IMO