Skip to content

Euro 'prediction' competition

Comments

• I actually think England have some great young players but I’m not sure about Southgate who reminds me of an assistant manager at a provincial building society

• England tend to beat who they should beat (Iceland aside) but struggle against really top sides. Have we beaten Germany, France, Italy, Portugal, Netherlands, Spain, Argentina or Brazil in the knockout stages of a tournament since 1966? I can only think of penalties over Spain in 1996.

Obviously the past is not an infallible indicator of the future - after all, Spain were underachievers until they suddenly were not, winning three tournaments on the spin. I just don't feel like anything has really changed as far as England's place in the football galaxy. Really good players, perhaps even one or two 'world class', but missing those X factors which would help us overcome the really talented sides. Our two most iconic tournaments since 1966 (to my mind) both involved Paul Gascoigne, and I don't think that is a coincidence.

• England beat Holland 4-1 in Euro '96 as well.

• @Cyclops said:
    England beat Holland 4-1 in Euro '96 as well.

If we include group games then we also beat Germany in 2000 and Argentina in 2002. I limited it to knockout as it would eliminate any 'down years' for those countries a little more. If they make the knockouts, they are a force to be reckoned with.

• Oh yes... that wasn't in the knock out stage was it? My apologies.

• As far as losing to those countries in the knockouts, off the top of my head:

West Germany 1974
    Argentina 1986
    Germany 1990
    Germany 1996
    Argentina 1998
    Brazil 2002
    Portugal 2004
    Germany 2010
    Italy 2012

• @Cyclops said:
    Oh yes... that wasn't in the knock out stage was it? My apologies.

What a fantastic win it was, though!

• 5 of those 9 were on penalties, too. Sigh.

• Poland stuffed us out in the "qualifiers" for the '74 World Cup, so we never even got to West Germany. But you are right - England's record in the big games is not good at all.

• The sad thing is that there are major "what might have beens" for all nine.

5 shoots outs.
    1 Hand of the Devil.
    1 taking Bobby Charlton off too soon in 1970 when 2-0 up.
    1 audacious lob over Seaman when we had initially led (2002).
    1 missed equalizer when the ball was over the line (2010)

The last one is the least agonizing, as we lost 4-1, but the game could have unfolded differently had it been allowed. Not too upset about Italy either, as we were pretty negative, and seemed to play for pens.

• We need quality in depth, passion without fear and some luck (you always need that) or we'll continue to win nothing.

• The Southgate interview today didn’t inspire me. He commented that England being 1-0 up against Croatia in the first match meant that they could take Kane off as they didn’t need another goal. Mathematically correct obviously but wouldn’t it be nice to just go for a bigger margin.

• edited June 2021

I can't believe he mentioned Sancho's lack of tournament experience as, seemingly, some kind of excuse for not playing him. Er, how many tournament games had James, Mings, Rice, Phillips, Bellingham, Mount, Foden and DCL played before this summer, Gareth? He should be starting on Tuesday.

• Really don't rate Southgate. We had a very favorable run to the semi's in 2018, then got knocked out by an average team not to mention getting beat by Belgium twice. I said before the tournament started we'll scrape through the group and get knocked out in the last 16. Can't help thinking this squad is wasted on Southgate.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I can't believe he mentioned Sancho's lack of tournament experience as, seemingly, some kind of excuse for not playing him. Er, how many tournament games had James, Mings, Rice, Phillips, Bellingham, Mount, Foden and DCL played before this summer, Gareth? He should be starting on Tuesday

Did he cover how playing "JLingz" for a game and half as a warm up for his trip to Benidorm was supposed to help with that?

• @StrongestTeam said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I can't believe he mentioned Sancho's lack of tournament experience as, seemingly, some kind of excuse for not playing him. Er, how many tournament games had James, Mings, Rice, Phillips, Bellingham, Mount, Foden and DCL played before this summer, Gareth? He should be starting on Tuesday

Did he cover how playing "JLingz" for a game and half as a warm up for his trip to Benidorm was supposed to help with that?

Maybe... Haven't seen the whole thing.

• There's been some very funny tabloid reactions to England drawing nil nil to Scotland. I'm not sure who to give the trophy to.. @ReturnToSenda or @drcongo

• @drcongo claiming Stones is the most skilfull header of the ball in history wins it for me

• Southgate seems to suffer the same obsession for holding midfielders that Paul Lambert did.
    We have some exciting talent, but am afraid Southgate seems terrified of letting them of the leash to attack.

• He has never been a great manager has he. Hopefully he is just holding it up his sleeve for the knockouts. But i have my doubts

• @LX1 said:
    There's been some very funny tabloid reactions to England drawing nil nil to Scotland. I'm not sure who to give the trophy to.. @ReturnToSenda or @drcongo

Best not give it to me as I'd only do a Sergio Ramos

• @LX1 said:
    @drcongo claiming Stones is the most skilfull header of the ball in history wins it for me

He is the poorest central defender we've had for many years.

• Can we start a GA to England thread yet? I miss those.

• @mooneyman said:

@LX1 said:
    @drcongo claiming Stones is the most skilfull header of the ball in history wins it for me

Steve Foster or Terry Fenwick were no Franco Baresi's !!

• @ChasHarps said:
    Southgate seems to suffer the same obsession for holding midfielders that Paul Lambert did.
    We have some exciting talent, but am afraid Southgate seems terrified of letting them of the leash to attack.

This is so true. Under Southgate we are risk adverse I can only imagine an early experience has effected his confidence like his mum making him wear two sets of undercrackers to school.

• @MorrisItal_ said:

@ChasHarps said:
    Southgate seems to suffer the same obsession for holding midfielders that Paul Lambert did.

This is so true. Under Southgate we are risk adverse I can only imagine an early experience has effected his confidence like his mum making him wear two sets of undercrackers to school.

Surely he wasnt on the 'Real ale' at school !!

• @MorrisItal_ said:

@ChasHarps said:

Either that or managing one team at club level and getting them relegated.

• @mooneyman said:

@LX1 said:

Yet drcongo claims he deliberately strikes the post with Robin Hood accuracy!

• Robin Hood Robin Hood
    Riding throught the glen
    Dr congo drcongo claiming unintentions again
    Feared by his expectations
    Mocked by logic
    Doctor congo
    Doctor congo
    Doctorcongo

• @LX1 said:

I have no idea what is going on, but I've no opinion on John Stones whatsoever.