Skip to content

VAR

Comments

• edited June 2021

Well that's an absolute piss-take (Croatia - Czech Republic game)

• Lovren is a great comedy device, regardless of rights and wrongs of decision

• Not much different to some of those follow through reds we got, control where you are swinging your arms.

• Never a pen, Croatia were done

• Getting lively at Hampden Park. Is the Co-commentator Lee Hendrie on speed or, more likely, the guy from Homes under the Hammer (? Dion Dublin).

• @micra It's Dublin, but that's a great description ?

• And for the pen it looked like they both had their arms up and Lovren just jumped higher/earlier. I get that you don't have to deliberately smack someone in the face for it to be a foul, but was there anything particularly careless going on?

• So what is the actual rule? You can break someone's nose as long as you didn't mean it? I am asking in all seriousness, as I don't know the rule. I hear a lot of pundits talk about intent, but to me there are a lot of fouls which are fouls regardless - remember the Swansea player waterskiing on the Brentford player in the playoff final?

• You just have to be glad it's not like the "good old days", where players would absolute shatter through someone having skimmed the ball slightly, and be screaming "I GOTS THE BALL" in the face of anyone who even looked at them.

• @micra said:
    Getting lively at Hampden Park. Is the Co-commentator Lee Hendrie on speed or, more likely, the guy from Homes under the Hammer (? Dion Dublin).

On speed?
    The opposite I'd say, it's more like some kind of sedative, maybe a ketamin, some kind of trance induced sleepy relaxed delivery

• @Malone said:
    You just have to be glad it's not like the "good old days", where players would absolute shatter through someone having skimmed the ball slightly, and be screaming "I GOTS THE BALL" in the face of anyone who even looked at them.

Oy. Don’t dis my entire football career*…

*in the interests of full disclosure basically one full season - usually at left back - for a works team in a london midweek evening league. (I also chose to play in rugby boots, which was a surprisingly effective way of unsettling any right-sided winger - unless they were quick in which case I never got anywhere near them

• In the Premier League that contact with Stirling is given as a penalty almost every time,by VAR(which is why its ruining the game).
    At the Euro's it's not even checked.

Debate...

• Not checking that at all was bizarre.

As was the "ref" saying it was a trip, but he "made too much of it".
    I refer you to the trip part Walton.

However, if we're relying on a 50-50 call late on v Scotland, with our resources, we really have only ourselves to blame.

• edited June 2021

Another terrible VAR intervention in the Spain v Poland game

Justice done when Spain missed the penalty

What an absolute blight to the game VAR is

• edited June 2021

The Poland defender planted his foot right on the Spain player's, taking him out of a phase that was still live - irrelevant that the ball had gone. When has that not been a penalty? Stonewaller.

• Players collide accidentally all the time. There is contact between players all the time.

I reckon that would not have been given for about 95% of the time I've been watching football

If you want to study slow motion replays to retrospectively award fouls for contact like that good for you.

It's not for me though, and I think it's ruining football

• I wouldn't listen to anything he has to say

• edited June 2021

Not on this occasion, but those get given frequently without VAR, because they're fouls.

• What for me was a nonsense about the incident was it was almost identical to the contact on Stirling last night except slightly higher up - so on ankle rather than toe - and yet last night they didn't even review it.
    Personally neither were penalties but IF VAR must be used than can someone give me an explanation that is understandable about the two totally different interventions?

• Sterling kicked the defender!

Not a penalty in a million years

• edited June 2021

Just seen the Spain pen again and it's even nastier than I thought - over the ball and right onto his ankle, arguably could have been a red for endangering the safety of an opponent.

• @micra said:
    Getting lively at Hampden Park. Is the Co-commentator Lee Hendrie on speed or, more likely, the guy from Homes under the Hammer (? Dion Dublin).

Homes under the Hammer, 30 minutes of painting bedrooms magnolia interrupted by two visits from sweaty estate agents

• Where would we be without stairs going up to the bedroom?

• Am I on the right thread?

• @LX1 said:

“Right! Where do we start?”

I usually start by turning over.

• edited June 2021

Here's the Spain penalty incident for anyone who didn't see. Not a foul? Decide for yourself... I was slightly wrong about "over the ball", but that's a horrible tackle - if you can even call it a tackle.

• @micra said:
    Where would we be without stairs going up to the bedroom?

In a caravan.

• The Spain penalty was absolutely stonewall! How can you dispute that after watching the clip above?