Skip to content

OT - Ollie Robinson

124»

Comments

• Not been through it myself but close loved ones have...hard decisions all the way round. Good luck old bean.

• Every possible positive wish from me too, @micra.

• You know where I am Micra if you need me. Good luck mate

• Good luck Micra!

• Thumbs up to all you lovely people. The news has come as a bit of a shock after being in remission for 15 years but I’m sure that, whatever treatment I opt for, I shall be around for a while yet. I take inspiration from the lovely gentleman I referred to earlier and all the friend and family well-wishers.

@HolmerBlue - yes, the Old Oak was our venue for several years until they stopped serving food a couple of years ago. As you probably know, it has now been beautifully refurbished and serves very good quality food. Four of us had lunch there last Tuesday and it was excellent. Two of us had fish and chips. It was the best we’d had for years. I would like our little group to go back but, sadly, two or three people apparently expect something like the Crown at Hazlemere where they do three courses for a ridiculous £7.99. Needless to say, it’s not quite the same quality!l

• edited June 2021

Bit late to this but all the best Mr Micra. This place wouldn't be the same without you and your thumbs.

• All the best Mr Micra and long may we continue to have your wonderful witty style of writing.

• That’s very kind, guys. Didn’t know until today that you were Scottish @MindlessDrugHoover. Have a feeling you’ll be getting a point on Friday but then I did predict that England would beat New Zealand in the second Test. Should be a good scrap though.

• Hi Micra, only just caught up with your news. I am sure you will make the right decision and I wish you a speedy return to full health. The Gasroom needs you.

• Very kind words @glasshalffull. Much appreciated.

Right on cue, I’m going to boast now and refer back to my post above where I thought Scotland would get a draw against England. Thought your boys were magnificent @MindlessDrugHoover.

• I thought there was a bit of the Oxford v Wycombe about the England v Scotland match, and a couple of Oxford supporting mates agreed - plucky all-for-one-and-one-for-all underdogs putting the wind up the supposedly more cultured opposition who seemed incapable of really pressing home their play-for-player advantage. A lot of England fans were saying what a terrible match it was without really giving Scotland credit for stopping England doing what they're capable of.

But now MOTM Billy Gilmour has tested positive for Covid, so any hopes for winning tomorrow are fading fast.

• Yes, that Gilmour news is a real blow.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    I thought there was a bit of the Oxford v Wycombe about the England v Scotland match, and a couple of Oxford supporting mates agreed - plucky all-for-one-and-one-for-all underdogs putting the wind up the supposedly more cultured opposition who seemed incapable of really pressing home their play-for-player advantage. A lot of England fans were saying what a terrible match it was without really giving Scotland credit for stopping England doing what they're capable of.

But now MOTM Billy Gilmour has tested positive for Covid, so any hopes for winning tomorrow are fading fast.

Except in the playoffs the plucky upstarts fell just short against their cultured cousins.

• Only just catching up on all the threads and horrified to see some difficult news for you @micra. Val and I wish you all the best. You are a Legend Sir.

• All the very best @Micra - my Dad has been living with same diagnosis for around as long as yourself it appears, we saw him for tea yesterday, in his 80's now ...it was a wonderful Fathers Day afternoon.

• Thanks guys for your very kind words. I have finally got round to reading all the bumf about alternative treatments and, subject to clarification re timing etc, I’m leaning towards chemo. I had a hormone injection on 3 June which functions for three months. If chemo is the choice, I’m hoping it will be possible to delay the start of treatment until September as we have a couple of short breaks with good friends (carried over from last year) booked for late July and mid August.

I’m expecting a phone call from the senior oncology nurse this afternoon. But first it’s off to the dentist for the first check-up for about two years!

• I meant to add a plea to all older male Gasroomers (50+ say) to request regular PSA tests (via your GP). And insist on feedback afterwards. I failed to do so a couple of years ago and a significant spike was missed.

• England rampant in Cardiff.

• I was going to post this in the Euro thread, but the (deserved) success of New Zealand in the World Test Championship (cracking game In the end) shows what can be achieved with proper application, playing to your strengths and working together despite limited resources.

• @bookertease said:
    I was going to post this in the Euro thread, but the (deserved) success of New Zealand in the World Test Championship (cracking game In the end) shows what can be achieved with proper application, playing to your strengths and working together despite limited resources.

Reminds me of a "small town" Buckinghamshire football club!?

• Delighted for New Zealand, everybody's second team I think. Especially against India, an incredibly arrogant team who think they just have to turn up to win. I watched the England t20 win, just wish we could win a test match !