Skip to content

Euros General Thread

England 0-0 Scotland halftime. More horseshoes than the Grand National. Grealish please!

Comments

• It’s just like watching Rochdale.

• England get a free kick just because Kane has no second gear.

• England take off their best player for their most over hyped.

• Jack Grealish surely the Nick Freeman of England ?

• Harry Kane is actually rubbish isn’t he.

• @drcongo said:
    Harry Kane is actually rubbish isn’t he.

He was tonight. Surely you should bring on Calvert-Lewin not Rashford though.

• I don’t think England have any intention of scoring though.

• This game does not deserve a goal.

• @drcongo said:
    I don’t think England have any intention of scoring though.

No plan B!

• Really huge step back in terms of performance. Set up a team to not lose rather than win. Slow tempo, big players not doing it, all round a poor poor showing against a team we should be beating.
    After watching France, Belgium and The Netherlands we are no where near

• I wouldn't pay to watch that rubbish.

• England qualify.

• Dire stuff. Time to move on from Kane.

• Me before Euros: "I have really gone off international football"

Casually catching a couple of games involving fun teams: "You know what? This is quite entertaining!"

Watching England v Scotland: "I have really gone off international football."

• Its not the selection or formation...the seemongly top drawer players we had on the pitch did not deliver...which is shocking really. No invention no inspiration. Yet again we need to win last group game.

• Can only assume England were trying to give Scotland a chance of qualifying.

• edited June 2021

The thing that astounds me about PL and international Cowardball: Players will run full speed, stop on the ball, turnaround and pass it back rather than take someone on going forward, but they will try all kinds of risky, fancy tricks to work it back to their keeper going back. It's like those jet fighter pilots who get discombobulated about which way is up.

• Dare I say a draw suited both teams

• We’ll go through even if we lose the next game. In practical terms it’s a better result for England than Scotland.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Jack Grealish surely the Nick Freeman of England ?

Sorry mate - Nick Freeman is the Nick Freeman of England. Simple formula:

1. England did not pick Nick Freeman.
    2. England will not win Euros.

:wink:

• I thought it was very charitable of the commentator to say “England give it away” every time Grealish gave it away, which was nearly every time he touched it.

• @Shev said:
    Me before Euros: "I have really gone off international football"

Casually catching a couple of games involving fun teams: "You know what? This is quite entertaining!"

Watching England v Scotland: "I have really gone off international football."

POTD

• England are through (4 points) and Scotland live to fight another day…the draw suited both teams

• It would be easier to take performances like this if I could think of a viable successor to Southgate. I'm still struggling.

• It’s the age old story. Why can players such as Foden, Kane and Sterling look world class for their clubs and bang average for England. It’s cos they have better players with them at club level and at an England level we don’t have the coaching or the players to deliver.

• If England meet Sweden we will have a 0-0 followed by the first ever drawn penalty shoot out. I suppose they can send half of each team through to the next round. Engden? Sweland?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    It would be easier to take performances like this if I could think of a viable successor to Southgate. I'm still struggling.

Graham Potter might be a shout but probably not immediately. Otherwise most of the exciting English coaches - Appleton and Martin stand out - are lower down the pyramid.

• edited June 2021

But that's assuming a need for English coach, of course. I see the merits of it, but it shouldn't be a hard and fast rule (which I don't think it is, even if the Capello years probably put the FA off).

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    It’s the age old story. Why can players such as Foden, Kane and Sterling look world class for their clubs and bang average for England. It’s cos they have better players with them at club level and at an England level we don’t have the coaching or the players to deliver.

The cast may change, but England always seem to revert to an unadventurous, boring style which is difficult to break down (hence all the penalty shoot outs) but easy to defend.

As I said in a different thread, we have not beaten a top table nation in the knockout stages since the 1966 final. Here are the nations we have beaten in a knockout game in that time:

Paraguay 1986
    Belgium 1990
    Cameroon 1990
    Spain (pens) 1996
    Denmark 2002
    Ecuador 2006
    Colombia 2018
    Sweden 2018

8 knockout wins in 55 years. All respectable countries, but none of them were major forces at the time we played them - even Spain had not yet found that consistency.

• We won't win the Euro's (or anything really) so to me THE MOST important game we HAD to win was against Scotland. I have always in the past supported the 'other' home nations but recently have seen the dislike (hatred?) they clearly have for us and now I really (and I mean really) only support England. Very poor performance from us, no passion, energy or national pride. Sadly, the England of old has returned. Replace Gareth with Gaz!