Skip to content

Sweden's Wycombe tribute act

Had 15% possession in their 0-0 draw with Spain last night. You have to say that's magnificent ? ? ?

Comments

• Isak could do a decent job up front for Wycombe.

• Isak looked a hell of a player.

• Yeah, he's a serious talent. Probably won't be sticking around at Real Sociedad for much longer.

• Co-commentator in the game said "the result is only going to go one way if you only have 19% possession." Obviously never watched Wycombe play.

And yes, Isak looked immense for Sweden. Don't know why they took him off as they barely had a look-in up front after that.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Co-commentator in the game said "the result is only going to go one way if you only have 19% possession." Obviously never watched Wycombe play.

But let’s not forget that, to our great delight, we were around the 50:50 mark a couple of times at the end of last season. It was wonderful to behold.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Co-commentator in the game said "the result is only going to go one way if you only have 19% possession." Obviously never watched Wycombe play.

And yes, Isak looked immense for Sweden. Don't know why they took him off as they barely had a look-in up front after that.

@MindlessDrugHoover said:

That was Danny Murphy wasn't it?
    Never rated him as a co-commentator or pundit.
    Credit to Sweden, defended really well. As for Spain, proof that not only possession stats but also number of passes (419?!) counts for nothing in the end.

• Contrast Murphy with Emma Hayes, who did the Poland - Slovakia game. Really showed the value of getting an actual coach in as a co-commentator.

• 419 was just the first half I think, up in the 900s

• @peterparrotface said:
    419 was just the first half I think, up in the 900s

See people on the beach complete that many passes in a game of keepy uppy. Never asked if they were World Cup winners.

• 829 passes completed with 85% possession isn't exactly abnormal, especially against a side sitting in a very low block pretty much all game. It's not the same kind of passing as the Spain of 2008-2012 either; there's a lot more verticality to their play.

• Verticality. Love that one @ReturnToSenda. Hope not to have to use it too much at the Park next season!

• @micra said:
    Verticality. Love that one @ReturnToSenda. Hope not to have to use it too much at the Park next season!

I mean, we are set up to play that way!

• Not the Spain way, I mean getting the ball forward quickly (if not quite as quickly as we used to).

• I read this thread title and envisioned an ABBA-style band singing songs about the Chairboys.

Disappointed.

• Sorry @ReturnToSenda, I thought it meant the ball being up in the air. Towards the end of last season, with two excellent wingbacks, we weren’t set up that way.

• Shame Emma Hayes has such a dreadful monotone delivery which makes me want to listen to nails scratching a blackboard in preference, as what she has to say is quite interesting and very well informed; unlike many of the ex=pro pundits.

• Seems Switzerland have been studying Gazball too.