tried to attach this to other thread but wouldn't let me sorry

Poll not found

Comments

• Imagine not including Vindaloo

• Imagine including England's Irie

• @Kim_il_Swan said:
      Imagine including England's Irie

Just don't come home too soon Kim

• Anyone else remember the B side to “ Back home” ?
      “Cinnamon Sticks”

• @Kim_il_Swan said:
      Imagine including England's Irie

And not Eat my goal. Or the one with Terry Venables and a brass band.

• I remember the 'B' side to This Time, 'we'll fly the flag'
      I had the 1982 album, which had Mike Reid's Bulldog Bobby on it.

• We'll fly the flag was a British Airways advert wasn't it? I'll have to dig that out, emotional song.

• Yes it was, there was also a track called 'cant get a ticket for the world cup' by Wesley Magoogan, who has an interesting musical career.

• I got the vinyl off ebay years after. 'fly the flag' brilliant

The year is 1982. The world is waiting for England
      To go go to Spain and win the Cup
      The World is waiting there for us
      And I know you're gonna share it too

• edited June 2021

Scotland’s majestic ‘We have a dream’ is only bettered by its highly optimistic B-side ‘Wrap up the Cup’

https://open.spotify.com/track/6l3bmCNskWlHpmHgpDTzV3?si=o3EPl60hRCeVJPLCCDYoEA&dl_branch=1

• Good to see World Cup Willy and 'Back home' gaining support. Also apologies to curry fans who like Vindaloo and have shown support for 'Others: (and sundries).

• LX1LX1
      edited June 2021

Three Lions ahead at the momemt. The Gasroom has a younger average age than I expected. Surely 'World in Motion can't be beaten?

• I'm not very young, you should see me try and get out of bed in the morning... but its Three Lions all the way for me ! Not even close

• If it had been ‘best’ England song, yes definitely World in Motion. ‘Favourite’ though, for me, is ‘Three Lions’ as it captured the mood and optimism of that summer perfectly. I can remember people who had zero interest in football happily joining in renditions of it.

• Three Lions, on the back of things like fever pitch, new stadia, the poshing up of the premier league and a few other bits that have had variable impacts was one of the first mainstream "England songs" that actually involved people who genuinely like football and looked at what it was like for fans, it really hit the spot in 96 and only escalates every time we allow ourselves to believe a bit before glorious failures. Ian Broudie is also a bit of a legend and picking two people who can't really sing is actually ideal if you want fans to sing along.
      Yeah World in motion is a classier song and cooler.

• Quiz question. Can you remember the official song of Euro 96?

• It was the spice girls one wasn't it?

• Simply Red

Another absolute abomination

• We’re in this together, for-evvvveeer

My eyes are open my love is strong

• Back Home…first record I ever bought…Newcastle 1970

• Has to be Three Lions. Not that the singing at Edgbaston influenced me in the slightest. The references on The Best Song thread and the videos did though.

• And three lions is definitely the best England football song…that’s why the crowds sing along to it…surely part of the definition of a great football song is that the crowd can sing along? And I don’t hear them singing World In Motion.

• @peterparrotface said:
      We’re in this together, for-evvvveeer

He just keeps repeating ‘forever’ and ‘together’ in a more hysterical fashion as the song progresses. It’s almost as bad as Simply Red’s ‘Fairground’, which is in my Top 5 Worst Songs Ever Written.

• @arnos_grove said:

@peterparrotface said:
      We’re in this together, for-evvvveeer

He just keeps repeating ‘forever’ and ‘together’ in a more hysterical fashion as the song progresses. It’s almost as bad as Simply Red’s ‘Fairground’, which is in my Top 5 Worst Songs Ever Written.

I couldn't be more with you on this.