Skip to content

Iconic goals

Among current players who have scored a fair few for us, what do you see as their most iconic goal? Not necessarily the most important goal only, but the one which sticks in the mind for any combination of brilliance, significance and even celebration.

For me:
JJ: Direct corner to complete Lincoln hattrick.
Bayo: First goal away to Southend 2018-19.
Blooms: This season against Derby (major points for the sheer delight of the celebration).
Stewart: Late equalizer in 4-3 win over Southend 2019-20.
McCarthy: Freekick against Walsall.
Alex Samuel: Last minute winner away to Accrington 2018-19.
Scott Kashket: Winner against Southend (same 4-3 as above) 2019-20.
Wheeler: Winner against MK Dons 2019-20.

Comments

• Strongly disagree with the Wheeler selection

• Wheeler v MK was definitely his most iconic but not his most significant.

• Well, significant/historic

• Got to be the play-off final for Stewart as well, surely?!

• edited June 2021

It's subjective - any combination of brilliance, significance, celebration. Just what sticks in the mind for you personally.

For Stewart, his defensive moments stand out for me so much more in that final. The goal was obviously one of the most vital in our history, but just like JJ's penalty, I did not choose it owing to not necessarily satisfying the other elements for me.

The reasoning behind this is that if we go for significance/importance only, there is far less room for debate.

• edited June 2021

Iconic clearances/blocks would be a good too. Who was it Darius pulled off that absolutely ridiculous one on the line against? I mean, that could apply to several, but this was particularly 'How did he do that?!'. Possibly v Ipswich at home? It was at the Valley End.

• edited June 2021

I wish the club would release season highlights of best saves, blocks and JJ corners every year. It would be so much easier to find those moments!

• edited June 2021

100% would buy the JJ corner box set

• Feeling uncomfortable joining this thread after @ReturnToSenda and @Shev seemed to have a room.

Gape at Chesterfield is the winner for me.

• If we are talking all goals (and cheating by using an ex-player) Fred v Fleetwood was wonderful. Significant, brilliant and a very memorable celebration. It ticks every box. Gape's more or less does too, though Fred's was a better strike.

• @Shev said:
    If we are talking all goals (and cheating by using an ex-player) Fred v Fleetwood was wonderful. Significant, brilliant and a very memorable celebration. It ticks every box. Gape's more or less does too, though Fred's was a better strike.

Except that so few saw it live. Struggling to see how anything in an empty stadium can be iconic. The crowd reaction is such a major factor

• Coming to a thread near you soon:

Iconic VAR moments…

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Shev said:
    If we are talking all goals (and cheating by using an ex-player) Fred v Fleetwood was wonderful. Significant, brilliant and a very memorable celebration. It ticks every box. Gape's more or less does too, though Fred's was a better strike.

Except that so few saw it live. Struggling to see how anything in an empty stadium can be iconic. The crowd reaction is such a major factor

That's a fair point. I think the only counter to it is that those playoffs perhaps placed the focus more squarely on the squad unity, with all the loud shouting and chanting, and the wild celebrations felt like a culmination of that team support over the two legs.

• @bookertease said:
    Coming to a thread near you soon:

Iconic VAR moments…

All I know is that the best one would win by an armpit.