Skip to content

Best England football song?

Causes me constant agony but I will tentatively go with..

1. This Time (1982)
  2. World In Motion (1990)
  3. Three Lions (1996)
  4. Back home (1970)
  5. World Cup Willy (1966)

Could have any of those at no.1 though

Comments

• 25 years since Three Lions. How time storms on.

• Best football songs:

1. Barmy Army - 'Sharp as a Needle'
    2. I, Ludicrous - 'We Stand Around'
    3. The Fall - 'Kicker Conspiracy'
    4. Half Man half Biscuit - 'I Was a Teenage Armchair Honved Fan'
    5. Sultans of Ping FC - 'Give Him a Ball and a Yard of Grass'
  • "Oh let me gaze upon your curves
    Instead of Ipswich Town reserves
    Swerving the Checkatrade with you"

• edited June 2021

World in Motion 100%

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    World in Motion 100%

It caused me me great pain typing 2 next to WIM but I've done it now and have to live with my actions

• LX1LX1
    edited June 2021

@peterparrotface an absolute joy but best forgotten, like one of the most talented teams who flopped in 88

• “How can you lie there and think of England when you don’t even know who’s in the team?”

• This Time
    World in motion
    Englands Irie Black Grape

• Vindaloo - Fat Les

• @ChasHarps said:
    This Time
    World in motion
    Englands Irie Black Grape

Forgot England's Irie. A much under rated song overshadowed by the popularity of 3 lions. Great shout

• I don't even recall any songs for the last couple of tournaments (though I don't live there any more). Is it a thing of the past?

• Three Lions. No debate to be had

• World in Motion by a country mile for me

• World in Motion for me too.

I’ve got a soft spot for this song, although it doesn’t quite fit the thread criteria...

• Three Lions aside, I love Born in England by Twisted X. It was the winning song in a competition that radio DJ Christian O’Connell hosted back when he was hosting for Xfm. Great song.

• Any song that includes footballers singing or rapping should be automatically disqualified.

• @drcongo said:
    Any song that includes footballers singing or rapping should be automatically disqualified.

Ha! The exact opposite for me!!!

• I watched the BBC programme last night on this tournament's song for England which has been recorded by award winning wrap artists, Krept and Konan. They are 2 black wrappers from South London. The artists came across really well and their approach to the composition was thought provoking, although the featured interviews were a bit 'Vox Pop' in nature. My only problem, when hearing the final version, is that I could not understand a single word they were saying, apart from identifying the occasional player's name!

It is possibly an age thing, or a cultural view, but I cannot relate wrap as a 'musical' form and for me to appreciate the importance (or otherwise) of any lyrics, I need to be able to understand them. It therefore left me unable to judge whether the effort they clearly put in had succeeded.

• Can anyone remember the Ant and Dec and James Corden abominations? Absolutely, and unequivocally terrible

Apologies if I've reminded anyone of them who'd managed to forget

• I'm a wrap artist.

I paint tortillas...

• Wasn’t there a Spice Girls one too? Or was that the cricket World Cup?

• There was, it wasn't awful as it goes.

Certainly doesn't deserve to be put in a bracket with the two aforementioned disgraces

• Yeah good shout...written by Ian McCulloch and Johnny Marr. At least a minute too long.

Not sure the words could be more meaningless but I did like the next Bunnymen album that came out a year later.

• I'd managed to live 23 years without ever seeing or hearing that. You bastards.

• @peterparrotface said:
    Yeah good shout...written by Ian McCulloch and Johnny Marr. At least a minute too long.

Not sure the words could be more meaningless but I did like the next Bunnymen album that came out a year later.

A minute too long seems very generous to me. Whatever happened to Echo, whoever he or she was when at home.