Skip to content

Ex- Wycombe players released by their current clubs

Comments

• Scowen is 28 and hasn't played for us for 6 years.
    There's no guarantee he provides what you remember him providing.

• Chances are he would though.

• edited May 2021

Not that I think we should have a policy where we don't sign anyone over the age of 25 - which I think Barnsley still have, although it's worked for them - but I hope, and think, we'll sign younger players as far as possible.

• I’m sure that’s the way forward @ReturnToSenda.

• @Chris said:
    Chances are he would though.

I love Gape, Thompson, Adeniran, O'Nien etc but josh scowan is easily the best centre mid we've had in the last 10 years. He was a class above

• @OnOurWay said:

@Chris said:
    Chances are he would though.

I love Gape, Thompson, Adeniran, O'Nien etc but josh scowan is easily the best centre mid we've had in the last 10 years. He was a class above

He was undoubtedly brilliant for us but never played above Lge2 for us. Where as Thompson and Adeniran have been brilliant at times two divisions above.

Very difficult to compare players but we have had the following midfielders in the last 10 years who I feel have made a huge impact and been a cut above.

Kadeem Harris
    Matt Phillips
    Eberechi Eze
    Luke Onien
    Josh Knight
    Curtis Thompson
    Dom Gape
    Dennis Adeniran

For me Thompson and Scowen are too similar to consider signing Scowen. We need a scoring CM who covers ground and can win his fair share of headers. Adeniran would be perfect and we have a chance of moving him on for substantial profit

• I want Adeniran but does it have to be an either or? I liked Alex Pattison and thought some of the comments on his departure especially on the Facebook page were a little unfair . However if we could get a Josh Scowan for a Alex Pattison wage it would be a great bit of business.
    Remember Bloomfield is retiring as well so it’s a chance for real competition in the middle.

• I don't get the we can't have him because he we already have so and so. Injuries, suspension, if good players become available we shouldn't just rule them out because we have similar. I'd happily have Luke and Josh back, but I'm sure they will get other options elsewhere probably on more money, and yes, money does come into it for the players

• Scowen might have played in League 2 for Wycombe but he has played more games in the Championship than all but three of the Wycombe squad.

• I know it was in League 2 but that Wood/Scowen/Murphy/Cowan-Hall combination is still one of the best midfields weve had since the O'Neill days.

• @Chris said:
    Scowen might have played in League 2 for Wycombe but he has played more games in the Championship than all but three of the Wycombe squad.

Luckily in Gareth we have a manager generally superb at judging the big calls right.
    I wonder how many of us have watched Scowen since he left us.
    Had he been released from Sunderland for financials or because they don't think he's that hot at league one level anymore?

• Remember, Thompson was released by Notts C because they didn't think he was that hot.

Looks to me that almost the entire Sunderland squad have been underperforming over the past few years and maybe a manager like Ainsworth, and a culture - from players to fans - like we have at Wycombe, could revitalise many a player.

• If we are genuinely to challenge to get out of League 1, we are going to need a proven goalscorer. I understand Tony Horseman is not currently signed up with anyone. OK he has never played for us above Isthmian League and is knocking on a bit now but class never dies and I am confident that Ainsworth can revitalise him.

Either that or we could trust Ainsworth to pick the best available players this summer whether or not they have played for us before or indeed whether or not we have ever heard of them.....

• Not like you to poo-poo fanciful conjecture, Dev.

• edited May 2021

I'm not normally one for bold predictions, but Uche will get at least 15 goals in League One as long as we keep this system (and he stays fit, of course). But also, we got out of League One with our top scorer getting ten goals (two of which were penalties) - a good spread of goals and a strong defence are just as important.

• City won the Premier League this season with a 13
    -goal top scorer, and Cheltenham won League Two without a single player getting into double figures. We have finally got a striker with 15-20 goal potential - and if Muskwe were to sign, he'd be even more of one - but we don't need one.

• Good point @ReturnToSenda . Perhaps we don't need Bodger after all then. I wonder what happened to Keith Searle.... I hear Danny Senda is about to get the tintack at orient . I wonder if he could still do a job at RWB?

• Aaand now I'm beginning to think that might have been a joke that went right over my head...

• One thing we have (ideally) needed for a while is goals from midfield.

• edited May 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Aaand now I'm beginning to think that might have been a joke that went right over my head...

What would make you think a DevC comment might be a windup, or diversion?

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Aaand now I'm beginning to think that might have been a joke that went right over my head...

What would make you think a DevC comment might be a windup, or diversion?

I use this simple rule: "Has it got words in?"

• I was looking at the list of players released just by Championship clubs and there are dozens. plus I feel sure, by as many released from the other leagues. Getting to know all about them seems to be what is needed and I am sure the management team are doing just that. Bringing up names that are familiar is easy as already suggested. and makes a good thread of opinions but I doubt if it carries much weight, even if they are looked at.

• Totally agree @wingnut. That scurrilous Gordon Ainsworth fellow deliberately ignores all our good advice.

• @wingnut said:
    I was looking at the list of players released just by Championship clubs and there are dozens. plus I feel sure, by as many released from the other leagues. Getting to know all about them seems to be what is needed and I am sure the management team are doing just that.

The interview process at Wycombe is very quick. Question one: Can you play football? Question two: Do you believe that Christ died for our sins? Yes and yes and we have a new signing!

• Why the thumbs down? A number of articles have said that there is a strong Christian ethos in the team. I'm not a Christian myself but if it gets us back in the Championship then I'm all in.

• I think the thumbs down might be that it's not specifically a Christian thing - it's just a respect for whatever faith anyone brings in.

Personally I find all religion a bit silly and can't quite believe that in 2021 it still gets treated more seriously than horoscopes and crystals. However, the WWFC ethos of respecting and supporting people in whatever they want to believe seemed to also extend all the way to the wacky 5G conspiracy theories of Josh Parker, and I have to applaud that inclusiveness. People are different.

• I thought the @Kim_il_Swan comment was quite funny.

• Did you give it a thumbs up then @Wendoverman?

• @mooneyman said:
    Did you give it a thumbs up then @Wendoverman?

I hadn't...but I have now if that's what is required.

• @Wendoverman said:

@mooneyman said:
    Did you give it a thumbs up then @Wendoverman?

I hadn't...but I have now if that's what is required.

You seem to be rather tightfisted with your thumbs up. Hopefully your more generous sharing your crisps!