Skip to content

EFL to switch to Puma balls in 2021/22

Bringing to an end 45 years of Mitre. It just doesn't feel right at all :(

Comments

• Poor pumas.

• There are less than 50,000 breeding pumas left in the world.

• What's happened here then? Why would mitre let this go? Money I'm guessing.... Does feel odd that it won't be a mitre ball ..

• Everything comes to an end even life itself.?

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Everything comes to an end even life itself.?

Unless you're a Turritopsis dohrnii.

• Somebody google, please.

• Am I the only one that 1) didn’t know Mitre made the match balls, and 2) didn’t care?

• @drcongo said:
    Am I the only one that 1) didn’t know Mitre made the match balls, and 2) didn’t care?

No. I don't think you are. I'd never given it a thought in years. Probably since the year they had a bal with the red stripe around it.

• Are they still round and white ?

• From what I can see Mitre still sponsor the FA cup so if we draw a Premier league team they would have played league games with Nike we would have played league games with Puma and for the cup we kick off with a Mitre. It just seems like a lot of balls.

• @drcongo said:
    Am I the only one that 1) didn’t know Mitre made the match balls, and 2) didn’t care?

It seems surprising that it's only been one make all those years.
    But yes, not something to give too much thought to!

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

@ValleyWanderer said:

Even that will shrivel up when the sun becomes a red giant.

• @mooneyman said:
    There are less than 50,000 breeding pumas left in the world.

This may be behind the EFL's decision to promote their balls

• I assume Puma was able to get its child and bonded labourers in Pakistan to stitch faster and cheaper than Mitre was.

• @mooneyman said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:

@ValleyWanderer said:

Even that will shrivel up when the sun becomes a red giant.

And Matt Bloomfield will still be turning out in the blue quarters.

• It's nice that there will be a new excuse for sour grapes managers.

"Everyone knows we would have beaten Wycombe today with the mitre ball."

• They might even be all made in the same factory as with some own-brand groceries

• @Wendoverman said:
    I assume Puma was able to get its child and bonded labourers in Pakistan to stitch faster and cheaper than Mitre was.

I think you’ll find that Puma make their products in Cambodia and it’s a common fallacy that they work in sweat shop conditions, most of the sweat evaporates.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/business/2017/jun/25/female-cambodian-garment-workers-mass-fainting

• edited June 2021

There's also a campaign to boycott them because of their association with the Israel FA: https://www.palestinecampaign.org/campaigns/puma/

The days of Mitre were a simpler time...

• "Mitre are a proud British company but Puma are owned by the Germans. It beggars belief that the EFL would disrespect our war dead in this way. The Stuart Surridge compromise is our only hope. Sickened by the thought of a poppy on a German ball.".

Coming soon from Tony Parsons, Dougie Brimson et al.

• @arnos_grove said:
    "Mitre are a proud British company but Puma are owned by the Germans. It beggars belief that the EFL would disrespect our war dead in this way. The Stuart Surridge compromise is our only hope. Sickened by the thought of a poppy on a German ball.".

Coming soon from Tony Parsons, Dougie Brimson et al.

As someone who is married to a German national I can confirm that never a day goes by where we don’t discuss the war