Skip to content

Comments

• edited June 2021

We wouldn't have got him on a free, let alone if he's still under contract. But at least he shouldn't end up with that lot.

• I guess Leicester are protecting their own interest which may not be 100% the same as Josh’s.
    I would be very surprised if Josh made it to the Leicester 1st team in the near future and he is 23 now so that chance is slimming. Josh needs a longer term platform to build his ability further if he’s going to grow further. Which I think he still can.

• He's a great player but he's miles away from Leicester's first team isn't he?

• If Leicester know a few teams are keen on him they are probably hoping one will stump up some cash for him

• Maybe it's because Leicester know how much cash Peterb*rough got for Toney.

Tricky business making transfer sums public isn't it.

• Leicester have plenty of centre backs who would be before Knight in the picking order, about 3 more players. Whilst Knight could chance it and try making his way into the team, I just don't think it would happen. Knight is a solid Championship player at best, and it will be best appropriate for him to seek football there. We probably won't get him back - he'll be a sought man in the Championship.

• edited June 2021

I think he'll go on to play in the Premier League, but I'd be very surprised if that was for Leicester.

• @drcongo said:
    Maybe it's because Leicester know how much cash Peterb*rough got for Toney.

Tricky business making transfer sums public isn't it.

Yes, had Ivan Toney's transfer fee been undisclosed then Leicester would have allowed Knight to join Peterborough on a free transfer (even though that article seems to suggest that it is Knight himself who wants to keep his options open)

• It's difficult to know if future Josh has a future in the Premiership. I remember when Mike Williamson was with us, and similarly with Steve Taylor, they looked ready made for the Premiership. Their reading of the game was next level and neither had to rely on athletic ability at our level as they were always in the right place. Roger Johnson also did well at the higher level but his reading was never as good as the other two. Josh still has a lot to learn in that department compared to Williamson and Taylor at a similar age. IMHO of course.

• Some players do a solid enough job for years in the Championship then get promoted and can't handle it, or get immediately replaced as the manager doesn't believe in them, others flourish alongside better players and use different attributes, it's often more about the protection and coaching they get than natural talent. I love the idea that we all know who is at what level but that is mostly BS.

• edited June 2021

That definitely plays a big part - half the Sheffield United and Leeds teams wouldn't have got a Premier League break with other managers - although some just seem destined to end up 'in the gap' where they're too good for the Championship but not quite good enough for the Premier League, Dwight Gayle being a prime example.

• Darren Huckerby was a classic "too good for the championship" player

• Really good comments. It is interesting to think JJ, Bayo, Bloomers, Gape, Scottie, Freeman, Curtis (briefly) and Stewart were all with us in L2 in the promotion season, and not only turned out to be capable of making the step up to L1 (which was doubted in some cases) but all went on to make appearances in the Championship, with varying success, but at least some positives on all fronts. Great coaching and togetherness goes a long way!

On the other hand, players who have left us recently have often more or less sunk without a trace (Paris is an obvious example to me).

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Josh Knight is not in the same league as Ben White

• edited June 2021

That's totally wrong @fame_46.
    There's no way every pro has the technical ability to play Premier league!

For starters there's conference players who are pros and not all of them have the ability to play in the league.

• @fame_46 not so sure about ANY player in the pro game being Premiership capable. I think technically the gap can be closed but mentally some players are just not up to it. We’ve had players with us who have played at a higher level who make a pass and see their team mate stand there and admire. Similarly we’ve had players of great technical ability who simply can’t read a pass or never seem to be in the right place.

• How do you measure and define ‘class’? Some players ooze it and you know could play at whatever level they wanted.

As a matter for debate (and recognising most of his career wasn’t at the top level) would Simon Garner (probably the best Wycombe player I’ve ever seen) be seen as a Championship footballer in this day and age?

• edited June 2021

I think there is some truth in what fame_46 is saying. I feel alot of what makes a good player great is the belief they have and the environment they are in. For example, in our team we had good league 2 players.... Some (when others questioned the possibility) stepped up and were top players in league 1.... And you know what??!! Some of those players we had in league 2..... Played for us in the championship! To varying degrees of success granted... But I think I get the point that he/she is trying to get across.

• Many of us rued the fact that we had to let PCH go with the situation we were in at the time. Loved by many Wycombe fans..... But frustrated many too.... BUT undeniable that he had talent and could change a game when on form.... Look at him now he's left Wycombe.... Dropped down a level... Or two....and now been released and looking for a new deal

• @fame_46 said:

@eric_plant said:
    Josh Knight is not in the same league as Ben White

@fame_46 said:

Most players fall away when they move from under 23s to the first team. Looks like Josh has the minerals based on last season to step up. No reason he can’t play in the premier league if he keeps developing at his current rate.

Genuinely puzzled by ‘the minerals’.

• "stones"?

• Another optional word for "balls" "bollocks" "bottle"

• @Alexo said:
    Many of us rued the fact that we had to let PCH go with the situation we were in at the time. Loved by many Wycombe fans..... But frustrated many too.... BUT undeniable that he had talent and could change a game when on form.... Look at him now he's left Wycombe.... Dropped down a level... Or two....and now been released and looking for a new deal

I always got the feeling Paris was one of those players who needed the arm-round-the-shoulder treatment, which Ainsworth is highly adept at, while another manager just sees someone sulking. He could blow hot and cold but he remains one of my favourite players of the last decade and I hope he finds himself a club where he can regain his form.

• My favourite random stat about the famous Bean goal: it prevented the following set of results from that season:

Carlisle 3-3 Wycombe - PCH 94th minute header to equalize.
    Wycombe 3-3 Carlisle - PCH 93rd minute header to equalize.

Surely that would be a first? A pair of headed equalizers deep in injury time for 3-3 draws against the same opponents? So many qualifying factors there.

• PCH and Harriman would have been useful in that L1 season...but I suppose the money came in too late?

• @shev It’s good, but my even favouriter stat is that Bean scored in the penalty shoot-out at Wembley long before those t-shirts saw the light of day. Ironically, so many more “were there” that day. And he didn’t even run all the way to where his family were sitting...

• You're supposed to score in a penalty shootout though. Its not the same. Where I stand is right in line with Beanie's shot, and its my second favourite Wycombe moment after realising it had become full time in Bristol Rovers v Mansfield