Skip to content

Public Service Broadcasting New Album

In a break from football I seem to remember that there are a few other PSB fans on here so they have a new album out and I think I’ve watched the promo video for the first single about twenty times.

Comments

• edited June 2021

YDOM (As Harold Steptoe would've said...)

If I'd ever wondered what the love children of Kraftwerk and Depeche Mode might sound like, you've just provided me the answer.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    YDOM (As Harold Steptoe would've said...)

If I'd ever wondered what the love children of Kraftwerk and Depeche Mode might sound like, you've just provided me the answer.

Very different to their other stuff and they were the two bands I first thought of but I still think it’s great.
    I don’t know what to say about the video someone compared it to a Latvian carpet commercial of the 1970s but in a good way.

• Haven't listened to them for ages but really liked The Race for Space

• For a bunch of tweedy nerds they are spectacular live, I saw their last tour and the entire stage was made up to resemble an old mining colliery. Even better, they had the fantastic Jane Weaver supporting.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    For a bunch of tweedy nerds they are spectacular live, I saw their last tour and the entire stage was made up to resemble an old mining colliery. Even better, they had the fantastic Jane Weaver supporting.

Every Valley

• They have a gig coming up in Aylesbury I think I noticed the other day. Not an avid fan, but I do like them. Could imagine them being very impressive live.

• @Wycombe85 said:
    They have a gig coming up in Aylesbury I think I noticed the other day. Not an avid fan, but I do like them. Could imagine them being very impressive live.

I might well go

• Saw them a few years ago at a festival and they reminded me of early Human League, which is no bad thing. The Race for Space was/is superb.

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    I don’t know what to say about the video someone compared it to a Latvian carpet commercial of the 1970s but in a good way.

Is there a bad way?

• @drcongo said:

@MorrisItal_ said:

Is there a bad way?

I did read something about a creative director in one of the communist era Baltic states that used subversive advertising as his form of resistance to the state apparatus.

• On second hearing, there’s a bit of Propaganda in there too... Very relaxing and addictive late night groove.

• If you like Propaganda, and the darker end of Depeche Mode, check out Minuit Machine, a synth-pop duo from Paris.

• A great combo of archives and music and excellent live. (I also saw them with Jane Weaver). One if the old coal board films they use I recognised from my school days when we were shown it as part of careers...to illustrate what a great life it were down t'pit. The War Room EP is also very good.

• I saw them at Rock City on their last tour. Wasn’t sure how it would work but very good. Love that new track - LP out in September by the looks of it.

• I also enjoy the work of Public Service Broadcasting. However, point of note @MorrisItal_, PSB will always stand for Pet Shop Boys in a musical context.

• @YorkExile said:
    I also enjoy the work of Public Service Broadcasting. However, point of note @MorrisItal_, PSB will always stand for Pet Shop Boys in a musical context.

What have I done to deserve this it’s only an acronym

• Technically it's an initialism.

• In before @micra gets there - it's an initialism, not an acronym ;)

• I see the Gasroom is Being Boring again.

• @drcongo said:
    In before @ReturnToSenda

VAR check

• @micra will be so proud...

• @drcongo said:
    Technically it's an initialism.

FYI

If it is important to you to distinguish between acronyms (NATO, NASA) and initialisms (FBI, TGIF) then by all means, do so. But if you are speaking to or writing for a general audience, it’s not an error to generalize all words and labels created from initials or parts of words under the broad term acronym

• I'm with you @Morris_Ital but it's become a Gasroom tradition to pick up on it.

• @drcongo said:
    I'm with you @Morris_Ital but it's become a Gasroom tradition to pick up on it.

No worries Doc actually my grammar is shockingly poor but I make up for it with great looks and a sparkling personality

• GLaaSP

• @Chris said:
    GLaaSP

Sorry Chris that went straight over my head

• @MorrisItal_ said:

@drcongo said:
    Technically it's an initialism.

FYI

If it is important to you to distinguish between acronyms (NATO, NASA) and initialisms (FBI, TGIF) then by all means, do so. But if you are speaking to or writing for a general audience, it’s not an error to generalize all words and labels created from initials or parts of words under the broad term acronym

With you all the way @Morris_Ital I call all
    blocks of initial letters acronyms. Don’t hold with this new-fangled initialism malarkey.

However, not having previously heard (or heard of) Public Service Broadcasting, I have to say that I much prefer the Pet Shop Boys. It’s like comparing tinsel with tapestry if the clips on here are typical of Public Service Broadcasting - what a ludicrous name for a pop group.

• Don’t dismiss them immediately @micra - this is quite different to their previous output. The name arises from their sampling of public service broadcasts and other spoken word that fit into the theme of the particular LP.

Actually, that does sound pretty terrible!