Skip to content

Wycombe players who've gone on to play at major tournaments

edited June 2021 in Football

Not even necessarily play - just be included in a squad. I don't think there'll be any at the Euros, but we must have had a few in the past?

Comments

• LX1LX1
    edited June 2021

Think Chuck Moussadik made the Morocco squad in 94

• Wikipedia tells me that Kenny Swain managed England U-16 from 2004-2014 and in that time they won the Montaigu Tournament twice in 2008 & 2011.

• Ray Wilkins played in several international tournaments and then went on to play for Wycombe Wanderers.

• @floyd said:
    Ray Wilkins played in several international tournaments and then went on to play for Wycombe Wanderers.

By that logic I'm counting Garath McCleary (Copa América, played against Messi).

• Andre Boucaud played 10 games on loan for Wycombe before being in the Trinidad and Tobago CONCACAF Gold Cup squads in 2013 & 2015.

• Mark Rogers probably the only player to play in an international tournament while at Wycombe?

• Delroy Facey is another ex-loanee who went on to play in the Gold Cup (for Grenada in 2011.)

• Damian Markman and Kevin Betsy played in tournaments didn't they?

• Was Guppy involved in backroom staff with O’Neill and Republic of Ireland at a tournament?

• Both Marvin McCoy and Keiran Murtagh were in the Antigua and Barbuda squad for the 2010 Caribbean Cup while Wycombe Wanderers players, although I'm not sure how major a tournament it was. Also in the squad was a 19 year old Josh Parker.

• Yeah, I mean the World Cup and the five continental competitions basically. I swear there was someone involved at the last Euros.

• edited June 2021

Richard Keogh! That's what kicked off the ex-player news thread.

• @Chris said:
    Delroy Facey is another ex-loanee who went on to play in the Gold Cup (for Grenada in 2011.)

And Leon Johnson was also in this squad while a Wycombe player (as was Anthony Straker who had been on loan earlier in 2011.)

• @LX1 said:
    Think Chuck Moussadik made the Morocco squad in 94

Nope, he didn't.

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/marokko-team/wm-1994-in-den-usa/2/

My schoolmate at the time was sure he would have gone if he'd played at Wembley in the play off final though.
    That O Neill favoured a heavily ill Hyde instead, probably said it all!

• Dion Dublin, on loan at Wycombe in 1988, made 2 appearances before signing for Cambridge. Went on to get 4 England caps. Doesn't quite meet your criteria tho as he was surprisingly left out of Hoddles world cup squad.

• I didn’t realise that Dion Dublin is a doctor, according to something I saw online when checking his playing record. Prolific goal scorer though. Have seen him on a property renovation programme on morning TV but he didn’t come across as “doctor material”.

• Tom Heaton was on standby at the last world cup

And Jason Roberts played in a few world cup qualifiers, as did Martin Rowlands

• Thanks @Chris. I have to confess to a degree of disingenuity there as the reference I saw did mention the nature of the award. It referred to work with young people but not the distinguished contribution to sport.

• @micra said:
    Thanks @Chris. I have to confess to a degree of disingenuity there as the reference I saw did mention the nature of the award. It referred to work with young people but not the distinguished contribution to sport.

I’ve been waiting for someone (one of the downthumbers surely) to correct my error in referring to my disingenuity rather than my disingenuousness. It’s a shame that these guys choose to stay mute.

• @Doob said:
    Dion Dublin, on loan at Wycombe in 1988, made 2 appearances before signing for Cambridge. Went on to get 4 England caps. Doesn't quite meet your criteria tho as he was surprisingly left out of Hoddles world cup squad.

Just the one appearance I thought and that was against Telford. He was on loan to us from Cambridge and we were interested but Cambridge said that they had plans for him. The following week he went to the Theatre of Dreams for a £!m GBP

• @micra said:

@micra said:
    Thanks @Chris. I have to confess to a degree of disingenuity there as the reference I saw did mention the nature of the award. It referred to work with young people but not the distinguished contribution to sport.

I’ve been waiting for someone (one of the downthumbers surely) to correct my error in referring to my disingenuity rather than my disingenuousness. It’s a shame that these guys choose to stay mute.

You know the rules by now

• Horgan scores!

• Not a major tournament but Daryl Horgan has just scored his first international goal for ROI in their friendly against Andorra. He also provided a great cross for Ireland’s 3rd goal in their 4-1 win and only came on as a sub 15 minutes from the end.

• I really do think he will come good for us too, over next couple of years

• Cue he is sold in 4 weeks!

• edited June 2021

Happy for the man. He has scored against Andorra - but can he do it on a wet Tuesday night in Morecambe?

(Only half joking. I do think Morecambe are better than Andorra).

• Shame not at Stoke last season!

• First Wycombe player to score an international goal since Aaron Pierre in June 2017 (which is more recent than I thought it would be).

• @glasshalffull said:
    Not a major tournament but Daryl Horgan has just scored his first international goal for ROI in their friendly against Andorra. He also provided a great cross for Ireland’s 3rd goal in their 4-1 win and only came on as a sub 15 minutes from the end.

Top talent. I still can’t see him with us next season. Don’t know why