Skip to content

Best fictional tv football

Jossie's giants by a country mile for me.

But different generations.. Different drinks

Comments

• Gregory's Girl

I did enjoy Jossie's Giants though. Football's just a branch of science

• The football scene in Kes pretty much sums up what it was like to play football in school in the 70s why can’t we produce actors like Brian Glover anymore .

• Striker

• Mike Bassett is obviously up there

• What was that programme on Sky One?

• Are we just pretending that Dream Team never happened?

• Club de Cuervos

• Dream Team is best confined to the dustbin imho

• for anyone not brought up in the 80s

• The Manageress, not just for the lovely Cherie Lunghi but also for Warren Clarke who became a Chairboys season ticket holder.

• Footballer's Wives. Close the thread.

• I can’t remember much about “The Manageress”, but I do recall our very own the late Warren Clarke was in it.

• Beat me to it, Mr P

• Can’t say I ever watched it, or that I’ve even heard of it before, but this looks amazing

• Ted Lasso is an absolute joy.

• And this looks like some top Subbuteo shithousery

• Dream Team for me.

• Bostocks Cup, an absolute classic.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Ted Lasso is an absolute joy.

It really is. I went into that show expecting to hate it but loved it.

• Barnstoneworth United.

• Anyone else remember 'Murphy's Mob'

• @drcongo said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Ted Lasso is an absolute joy.

It really is. I went into that show expecting to hate it but loved it.

I’ve avoided that so far, but I’ll give it a go now.

• The series Mike Basset: Manager was good fun. Wycombe featured heavily as they filmed it at the training ground and used Adams Park for all the away matches (Griffin Park for the home games).
    In the series itself Wycombe managed a 2-0 victory over Wirral County in a game which saw Basset and the team chased out of AP by the travelling fans but we were beaten 2-1 in the return fixture.

• edited June 2021

What was that programme that ran for about six episodes a few years ago, based around a rather run-down lower league club and the characters who supported it (including a few recognisable lower league fan stereotypes)?

Edit - just looked it up. "Rovers" from 2016.

• Loved Dream Team for all its silliness, Renford Rejects, Manageress, Jossies giants all gold and as above Ted Lasso has no right to be as good as it is coming off the back of a few ads and a fairly thin premise but is very watchable.

• edited June 2021

@PhilSlatter said:
    The series Mike Basset: Manager was good fun. Wycombe featured heavily as they filmed it at the training ground and used Adams Park for all the away matches (Griffin Park for the home games).
    In the series itself Wycombe managed a 2-0 victory over Wirral County in a game which saw Basset and the team chased out of AP by the travelling fans but we were beaten 2-1 in the return fixture.

The film is amazing, if you write out the squad on the back of a fag packet you will end up calling up Benson and Hedges. If anything it's too close to the Graham Taylor England setup for comfort. Didn't see any of the series though.

• @our_frank said:
    Barnstoneworth United.

This. Sums up the heart and soul of fanatically following your often terrible local team.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    What was that programme that ran for about six episodes a few years ago, based around a rather run-down lower league club and the characters who supported it (including a few recognisable lower league fan stereotypes)?

Edit - just looked it up. "Rovers" from 2016.

That was good. My mate supports Gresley Rovers in Derbyshire and said it was uncannily close to real life.