Skip to content

Club to appoint recruitment analyst

13»

Comments

• I don’t really know how it works in practise in truth. Let’s say Gaz Room is 20 and is Aston Villa youth system. I assumed how it worked in the old days was that a AV youth coach would think that Room had something but be aware that he probably will not get another AV contract. He has dealt with GA a call and they chat about Room’s skills and character. If GA likes the sound of him , he gets a mate in the Birmingham area to watch a youth game to have a look and if good a more formal scouting visit to a game takes place. If still good they talk to young Gaz or his agent and maybe a deal happens.

What happens now? (I have no idea what Wyscout is)

• edited May 2021

@Croider said:
    What League 1 clubs don't have an analytics 'department'

It's one thing having a performance analyst, but I'm not sure that many have a recruitment analyst. I'd guess about half, but I haven't looked through every one. Most will have a 'head of recruitment', but that's not necessarily as data-focused as this role. Even some Premier League clubs (probably most notably Man United) are still lagging behind on the data/analytics front - just because you have that within your structure doesn't mean you're doing it well (hopefully we will).

• Like @glasshalffull and doubtless many others I am very pleased that you are back posting regularly on the Gasroom @ReturnToSenda. Can always depend on you to provide interesting comments and insights. You really do have your finger on the pulse.

• He's getting wise to who is in it for the wind ups too ;)

• Sure> @ReturnToSenda said:

@DevC said:

>

Well, one of the key purposes of this approach is to identify and recruit the players best suited to your individual system, philosophy etc. -

That's all very well but what happens if your manager also has a plan B?

• I

@Wendoverman said:
    Sure> @ReturnToSenda said:

@DevC said:

>

Well, one of the key purposes of this approach is to identify and recruit the players best suited to your individual system, philosophy etc. -

That's all very well but what happens if your manager also has a plan B?

I fully expect we’ll be something like the Harlem globetrotters of league one with opposition players standing about bemused after the switch to plan B goes out

• Hopefully the players are intelligent enough to be able to adjust to a plan B as well. If they are super intelligent then that may even stretch to a plan C ?.

• Well I suppose "First team recruitment analyst" certainly sounds more impressive than "scout".

• @Doob said:
    Well I suppose "First team recruitment analyst" certainly sounds more impressive than "scout".

It's also not the same thing

• Detective superintendent sounds better than night watchman.

• Clough and Taylor were doing 'moneyball' in the 70s, it just didn't have a name then.

Excellent news we are investing in this.