Skip to content

Fred to Luton

Comments

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Not saying he has, because I don't know, but even players with previously impeccable character can act out if trying to force a move - but trying to force a move in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing imo, if it's a progressive move for the player.

Did you see anything from Fred to suggest he was 'forcing a move'?

No, and also we're not a club to stand in the way of a player wanting to progress - Rob said as much when we turned down the bid in January, and no club at this level can afford to be like that - but the way it was announced was a bit off as I think everyone has noticed. Hopefully Gaz will provide some kind of clarity today.

• Clubs will soon ditch you when you are of no further use, so it's only fair players look out for themselves.

But if all Fred has done is heard of interest and told his agent to proceed, that's no issue at all.

If only our normally top class media guys hadn't been... clearing up and reorganising the office that day...

• I was going to say we must have a filing cabinet or something that leads to Narnia, but time in the real world stops when you're in Narnia, so they can't even use that as an excuse.

• What time is the Matt Hancock Gareth Ainsworth Q&A?

• Thankfully this random person on the internet didn't have any papers to shuffle on his desk and made us all a Fred highlights reel. Maybe the club could ask him for a copy?

• edited May 2021

@drcongo said:
    What time is the Matt Hancock Gareth Ainsworth Q&A?

They haven't said. They're speaking to him today, so I'm hoping the video is out today too.

• If it's any consolation, the media team missed Bodger's 80th birthday til the day after so maybe they really have been trapped in a filing cabinet.

• How do relegation clauses work? Do they have a minimum figure that one would have to receive a bid of in order to trigger the clause?

• That goal reel makes me, once again, wish we'd tried Fred out as a central striker more often.

• @drcongo said:
    How do relegation clauses work? Do they have a minimum figure that one would have to receive a bid of in order to trigger the clause?

I think that's pretty much it

• The interview with Gaz pretty much says that's what happened. In his contract it must've said if we got relegated he could go for a fee, which Luton matched, and there's nothing we could do. The only worry would be if it was a release clause and perhaps he went for nothing, which might explain the undisclosed fee... but I'm sure that's not the case.

• I really couldn't see the club agreeing to a £0 relegation release clause. Would be utter madness.

• edited May 2021

Undisclosed fee means undisclosed fee, not 'He went for free, but we're too embarrassed to admit that'. Completely standard practice.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Undisclosed fee means undisclosed fee, not 'He went for free, but we're too embarrassed to admit that'. Completely standard practice.

I'm sure not in this case, but I know for a fact a number of undisclosed fees are players that were signed for cash, being pretty much given away to either balance the books/ fallen out of favour with a new boss.

• @prufrock_91 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I'm sure not in this case, but I know for a fact a number of undisclosed fees are players that were signed for cash, being pretty much given away to either balance the books/ fallen out of favour with a new boss.

Yeah, that can happen, but like you say usually only in a time of great financial need / when there's a new manager.

• I know that I'm reading a lot into what GA has said in the interview but makes me wonder if, had we NOT been promoted, Fred could have left at the end of last season?
    Maybe be should be being more thankful for the opportunity to have seen him develop this past season into a Championship player, rather than some of the ranting that has gone on about why we have a right to know the size of the transfer fee and what an insult it's been not to have written a glowing testimonial.

• Have to say if there was a relegation release clause in his contract, Fred worked as hard as anyone to avoid it triggering

• Well said @bookertease .
    Still sad about it but you have to take these opportunities if and when they come around.

• Watched the interview

Ahhhhh what a guy as always.

All is well.

• Without wishing to be negative about the club, it does feel like Gareth has reacted to the departure of Fred with considerably more class than whoever writes the Twitter feed.

• @bookertease said:
    Have to say if there was a relegation release clause in his contract, Fred worked as hard as anyone to avoid it triggering

This.

• @DevC said:
    Without wishing to be negative about the club, it does feel like Gareth has reacted to the departure of Fred with considerably more class than whoever writes the Twitter feed.

Or whoever told them what to write.

• The only thing I would say that after the Matt Phillips (England) call up embarrassment I hope that Fred’s relegation clause was not from ANY division. Would it be fanciful for the clause to be written with the intention that he could go on the cheap if we got relegated from division 1.

• edited May 2021

@Chris said:

@DevC said:
    Without wishing to be negative about the club, it does feel like Gareth has reacted to the departure of Fred with considerably more class than whoever writes the Twitter feed.

Or whoever told them what to write.

Good point. Amazing how many are quick to blame the messenger and not the person giving them the message. Having said all that though it does appear to me that some are picking holes that are NOT visable to my eye at least.

• It does make me smile that a terse Twitter announcement has caused such consternation we surely are the W. I of football forums

• @OxfordBlue said:

@bookertease said:
    Have to say if there was a relegation release clause in his contract, Fred worked as hard as anyone to avoid it triggering

This.

My mad.

• I don't think Fred is that big a loss. A couple of goals and a few assists for an attacker is not a great retrurn at any level.

Millwall fans didn't like him because he kicked up a fuss, perhaps he was doing the same here? Official website didn't make a big song a dance about it.

Perhaps the funds raise will go towards Muskwe?

• @drcongo said:
    Thankfully this random person on the internet didn't have any papers to shuffle on his desk and made us all a Fred highlights reel. Maybe the club could ask him for a copy?

Had forgotten the comedy goal at 44secs!

• edited May 2021

@Malone said:

@drcongo said:
    Thankfully this random person on the internet didn't have any papers to shuffle on his desk and made us all a Fred highlights reel. Maybe the club could ask him for a copy?

Had forgotten the comedy goal at 44secs!

The rise of the Rochdale 'keeper that day is quite something. Had a bit of a mare - notably coming rushing out to try and claim a long throw, only for Bayo to easily nod straight over him - and I think actually got dropped not long after, now in the Spain squad for the Euros after a brilliant season for Brighton.

• Not sure if anyone else has covered this angle, but the way I see Wycombe and the managements recruitment policy has been to attract players who have either been overlooked by other clubs or have potentially been willing to take a drop in wages as a chance to reenergise their career.

To help support that it seems the clubs have been leading the way in putting a very strong support system in place for the players to help them mentally as well as physically.

I see a key part of that being never to stand in the way of a player if a team from a higher division comes knocking or we put things in place so it is mutually beneficial (longer term contracts for players, release clauses etc.

Whatever there is, as well as protecting the clubs future on the pitch, if we don’t let players progress when a genuine step up is available to a player (we are league one again you have to remember) then it could be to the detriment of being able to get other players in down the line.

We need to give players that chance to progress - both within the club (under 21’s to full squad) as well as bidding farewell as and when opportunities arrive.