Skip to content

Fred to Luton

Comments

• @Wendoverman said:
    People not getting a game. People not on the bench. No details about injuries. Fees. Departures. Transfer silence until July. Ignoring Dave Tarpey. If there is one thing we have all learnt on the Gasroom it is that there is never an innocent explanation for anything...

Are you even a real Wycombe fan if you're not angry about something?

• Just saw the club advertising for a first team recruitment analyst

As a big fan of the book Moneyball which showed some of the pioneering work in this field I’m genuinely excited by this. We are taking recruitment really seriously and this has to be cool.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Just saw the club advertising for a first team recruitment analyst

As a big fan of the book Moneyball which showed some of the pioneering work in this field I’m genuinely excited by this. We are taking recruitment really seriously and this has to be cool.

Loved Moneyball and there is no doubt analytics is the fashion but is a degree in statistics, big data and algorithms really the way? Where’s the romance? Now a bloke in a camel hair coat puffing on a woodbine whilst watching a player for twenty minutes before calling the chairman to advise arranging a meet in a boozer away from prying eyes. Those were the days.

It’ll be Cajun burgers, decent beer, clean toilets and high speed wi-if before you know it. Oh and championship football.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@LX1 said:
    What a scumbag. Like Luke O'Nien, he will regret it for the rest of his life poor lad.

If this isn't a parody, and it can be difficult to tell, I'd caution slagging him off too much until we know facts but I'm struck not only by the short statement but also the absence of well wishes from some players who are normally very vocal on social media.

The O'Nein thing sounds nice but he's having a great time up there , is on good £, well liked by all but the rabid elements and we'd take him back in a heartbeat along with several other clubs.

A poor disappointed late night reaction. I take it back.

• Reading that club statement and the general lack of love in the air, it’s pretty clear he had a clause of some sort and went for the money. Fair enough - hope it works out for him.

He was fantastic in the final third of the season but not exactly pulling up any trees before that.

• I think Fred will have to hit the floor running or he may struggle at a less forgiving club. I hope he is the bright spot in a struggling and ultimately doomed Luton team! ?

• Do Luton fans have a reputation for getting on their players' backs?

Been mentioned a few times but I'd never heard that. My mate who supports then certainly isn't like that

• Is this that difficult?

“Fred had three spells at Wycombe, making over 100 appearances and scoring 19 goals.

He was a key part of the team reaching the League Two playoff final during his first loan spell in 2014-2015. He returned again on loan in 2018-19 to help us consolidate in League One, before signing a three year deal with the club in July 2019. We will always be grateful for his performances, the undoubted highlight being winning the penalty at Wembley that led to our first promotion to the Championship.

We wish him all the best in his career.”

• Spot on @Chris. The club would do well to remember that us fans are not part of any handbags, and would prefer the kind of announcement you outlined.

This is a player leaving to further his short career, not someone cheating on us.

• Gaz is speaking about departures and recruitment tomorrow. Let's see what he says then. Interesting choice of pic by the club with their tweet announcing that...

• @mooneyman said:
    Fred probably wants Championship football NOW.

Some saddo has inserted a false entry on Wiki saying he's moved to Luton for £2.5m! I think £500k would be a more accurate valuation.

Do you post on the FB group out of interest?
    There's a guy repeatedly bandying about 500k on there as well

• @Shev said:
    Spot on @Chris. The club would do well to remember that us fans are not part of any handbags, and would prefer the kind of announcement you outlined.

This is a player leaving to further his short career, not someone cheating on us.

As a matter of curiosity @Shev how do US teams announce departures? How did the Patriots release the news of Brady’s move? I get the odd update from my LV Raiders app and it is no more than “Mike Mahoosive, Centre, a second round pick in the 2019 draft has been traded to the Chicago Bears”. It seems only when a player retires that a fuss is made.

• @eric_plant said:
    Do Luton fans have a reputation for getting on their players' backs?

Been mentioned a few times but I'd never heard that. My mate who supports then certainly isn't like that

I sit next to a bloke at Wycombe who doesn’t get on the players backs. However there is that bloke in the terrace who shouts “you’re shit” at JJ at least twice a game. Maybe a sample size of one isn’t quite big enough.

Either way, I think all league clubs have an element among the fans that’s less forgiving, though I’ve not really heard of Luton being any more or less so than any other club.

• edited May 2021

@drcongo said:

@eric_plant said:

I sit next to a bloke at Wycombe who doesn’t get on the players backs. However there is that bloke in the terrace who shouts “you’re shit” at JJ at least twice a game. Maybe a sample size of one isn’t quite big enough.

Either way, I think all league clubs have an element among the fans that’s less forgiving, though I’ve not really heard of Luton being any more or less so than any other club.

Fan goonery peaked for me about 15mins into our first season back in league 1, game 2, away at Doncaster, when Bayo miscontrolled one ball.
    One absolute genius started shouting some abuse, and then held court with anyone who'd listen around him about how "this is why Wimbledon got rid, can't do it in league 1" and all manner of utter nonsense.

• There's a little hysteria about Fred going IMHO. Fred was certainly a player who blew hot and cold, and when he was hot he was excellent. The last 12 games showed he has the ability to be a championship player for sure. But was he integral to our upcoming league 1 season, no. Do we still have a great chance of returning to the Championship without him, yes. Do we have players in the squad capable of filling his shoes, sure. Are we in a fortunate position of having money to spend and confidence that we can use that to recruit positively, absolutely. Do I think GA would have prefered him to stay, probably but not at any cost.
    And as for the media team not doing a Red Arrows fly past to mark his leaving maybe they are just having a break and will get something done later.

• @drcongo said:

@eric_plant said:

Cool, thanks for explaining

• @Malone said:

@mooneyman said:
    Fred probably wants Championship football NOW.

Some saddo has inserted a false entry on Wiki saying he's moved to Luton for £2.5m! I think £500k would be a more accurate valuation.

Do you post on the FB group out of interest?
    There's a guy repeatedly bandying about 500k on there as well

No don't use it and never will.

• @Manboobs said:

@Shev said:
    Spot on @Chris. The club would do well to remember that us fans are not part of any handbags, and would prefer the kind of announcement you outlined.

As a matter of curiosity @Shev how do US teams announce departures? How did the Patriots release the news of Brady’s move? I get the odd update from my LV Raiders app and it is no more than “Mike Mahoosive, Centre, a second round pick in the 2019 draft has been traded to the Chicago Bears”. It seems only when a player retires that a fuss is made.

I'm not totally sure on the team front. Brady's move was a unique, massive story, and from what I remember the team wished him well. With a roster of 53, wearing helmets on game days, I don't think there is usually as much fan attachment to the rank and file.

I could be overreacting with Fred, but whatever went on behind closed doors, we were not privvy to it as fans, so my preference would be a tribute - or at least the same treatment as other outgoing players. If we don't know the context of the beef, it feels a little like being a tennis net for someone else's beef.

• One more thing about Fred (and sorry if someone has mentioned this): He is not a huge miss if we stayed in the second tier, but he absolutely tore up L1 at times. I may be misremembering, but didn't our downturn in our promotion season more or less coincide with him being out, and when he came back he gave us a spark again? I specifically remember him giving a Tranmere defender twisted blood before crossing for Bayo to nod home our second goal in that home game near the end of the truncated season.

I have every confidence we will replace well, as usual, but it is certainly more serious news as a L1 side than a Champo side.

• @Shev said:

@Manboobs said:

@Shev said:

I'm not totally sure on the team front. Brady's move was a unique, massive story, and from what I remember the team wished him well. With a roster of 53, wearing helmets on game days, I don't think there is usually as much fan attachment to the rank and file.

I could be overreacting with Fred, but whatever went on behind closed doors, we were not privvy to it as fans, so my preference would be a tribute - or at least the same treatment as other outgoing players. If we don't know the context of the beef, it feels a little like being a tennis net for someone else's beef.

Thanks. As others have speculated, I wonder if the lack of tribute is a Couhig (US) philosophy, linked to the club being bigger than any player and nostalgia being linked to a losing mentality whereas the belief should always be we expect to finish first. With that approach then choosing to leave becomes an act of betrayal of said belief.

• @Shev said:
    One more thing about Fred (and sorry if someone has mentioned this): He is not a huge miss if we stayed in the second tier, but he absolutely tore up L1 at times. I may be misremembering, but didn't our downturn in our promotion season more or less coincide with him being out, and when he came back he gave us a spark again? I specifically remember him giving a Tranmere defender twisted blood before crossing for Bayo to nod home our second goal in that home game near the end of the truncated season.

I have every confidence we will replace well, as usual, but it is certainly more serious news as a L1 side than a Champo side.

He's one of a number of our players who can exist in the championship, but is a star player in league one.
    Not sure the downturn was that linked to him, although it wouldn't have helped.

Think it was more having a run of playing the best teams back to back for a long period.

Not even sure we'd have played Fred up top where he's best and it always felt a little bit of a shoehorn job at left wing back.
    We definitely need a strong signing or two now though.

• @Manboobs said:

@Shev said:

@Manboobs said:

@Shev said:

Thanks. As others have speculated, I wonder if the lack of tribute is a Couhig (US) philosophy, linked to the club being bigger than any player and nostalgia being linked to a losing mentality whereas the belief should always be we expect to finish first. With that approach then choosing to leave becomes an act of betrayal of said belief.

Not something, I would disagree with. If Fred made it clear he wanted out and not see his contract out. I dont see why the club should go out of there way to give a sparkling tribute.

• Seen many people say that 'Fred was unplayable on his day, but that so often happened', which I think is far from the truth.

He ticked by last season, even at the start when so many claimed he was off the boil, pretty well. We didn't play a particularly attacking style, but he always did his job, tracked back and offered when we could go forward.

I'm sad because I feel he'd have offered a lot in a side that will, hopefully, really go at League One.

Saw Neil Harman point out that Gaz would've been annoyed by his 'insouciance', which I think is absolutely reaching. GA brought him back to the club on 2 separate occasions, and was moulding him into a pacy, hard-working LWB.

To label him as almost mercurial is to paint him with an extremely stereotypical brush.

• You don't mould an attacking midfielder into first a selfless channel runner and then a dynamic wingback if you're worried about a player's insouciance. Fred to me was the consummate professional - prepared to do the less glamorous side of the game, tracking back and running through brick walls for teammates and, in the end, being converted into a far less sexy role than he was brought in to do. Even when we were playing Bayoball and he was running the channels with little hope of getting ball-to-feet he still played with a smile on his face. Even when he was consigned to five minute cameos for much of the season he still seemed to have a positive attitude. And he seemed popular with his teammates - certainly in the way they mobbed him whenever he scored or assisted a goal.

Insouciance? If there's any member of the squad not displaying that, it was Fred.

• I had to look up ‘insouciance’. Casual lack of concern, indifference. Not so. I’d say Fred has a delightfully laid back disposition and a ready smile. Loved the moment when he crash landed on a prostrate Harry Kane and a flicker of a smile crossed his face as he rose to his feet.

But it’s true what Bayo said - that you had to make him angry to get him fired up.

• Fred would certainly be one of the last players you'd put in the bag egg category!

• @Malone said:
    Fred would certainly be one of the last players you'd put in the bag egg category!

True. Anyone suggesting otherwise is going dow a different and unwelcome path in my opinion. Fred has shown great attitude and learning in his time with us.
    Will be interesting to follow his progress with the Luton manager

• edited May 2021

Not saying he has, because I don't know, but even players with previously impeccable character can act out if trying to force a move - but trying to force a move in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing imo, if it's a progressive move for the player.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Not saying he has, because I don't know, but even players with previously impeccable character can act out if trying to force a move - but trying to force a move in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing imo, if it's a progressive move for the player.

Stuart Beavon and Jermaine Easter spring to mind in forcing moves.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

Did you see anything from Fred to suggest he was 'forcing a move'?