Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

I don't think we've already got one of these? Anyway, Gaz is speaking about departures and recruitment plans tomorrow.

Comments

• I know we have a strong squad of players under contract but who knows who else will leave before the season starts but hopefully we will do our business early. Last year we did a lot of our business late and I'm sure it was a contributory factor to our slow start to the season.

• Will update this throughout the summer, but here's where we're at with the squad at the moment.

• How many additions are we expecting (excluding additional signings to compensate for any out goings)? I’m gonna go for 10 signings with a small majority made up of development squad signings.

• As it stands we can make five senior signings, but there's got to be a good chance Freeman leaves and Blooms retires, which would free up room if Bayo and Burley don't stay. Still a little bit complicated at the moment!

• My personal opinion is Freeman to a L2 side on a permanent, Bayo stays for a final season and Blooms stays but perhaps unregistered initially? He still has something to offer on the playing side of things.

• edited May 2021

But I'd say the main needs are:

Senior CB cover
    Another LWB option (preferably a winger by trade)
    At least one box-to-box midfielder (ideally Adeniran)
    A striker to play off Ikpeazu (ideally Muskwe)
    A third goalkeeper (probably U21 as I'm assuming we see Anderson as number 2 material)

• Would it be a massive surprise if the interview with Ainsworth tomorrow concluded with the announcement of a signing?

• So, at the moment we can sign 5 players max who are born before 01/01/2000. This could possibly be increased to eight players if the EFL accept the proposal from the players union thing to have the squad limit at 25 across all three EFL divisions, but it is unclear about whether this will actually happen. Lets presume Akinfenwa and Burley will sign new contracts, which I think will probably happen, that means 3 new signings max who are over that dob. This is going to be a long haul really....

However, with that said, we can still make unlimited signings of players who count as an u21. Hopefully we can pick out Mehmeti-esque players who are ones for the future...

• @Chris said:
    Would it be a massive surprise if the interview with Ainsworth tomorrow concluded with the announcement of a signing?

Not at all!

• Aware this stuff is repeated across various threads, just catching up, but the tweet above looks like a fairly direct reaction to people calling out the Fred statement

• And before someone comes along to remind us the Couhigs own the club and we aren't entitled to know anything I'll just say I'll believe that when the trust stops asking for money.

• edited May 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:
    As it stands we can make five senior signings, but there's got to be a good chance Freeman leaves and Blooms retires, which would free up room if Bayo and Burley don't stay. Still a little bit complicated at the moment!

*four senior signings - I'd missed McCleary off the list

• @Chris said:
    Would it be a massive surprise if the interview with Ainsworth tomorrow concluded with the announcement of a signing?

Ainsworth drops his mic and Fred is standing behind him.

• Left out by solksjaer tonight... Anyone spotted him at Beaconsfield services?

• edited May 2021

Says we won't just be restricted to frees this summer - as expected.

• Reports from Leicester suggest that Muskwe has signed a contract extension. Very disappointing for us if true. He was the 1 player above all others I was hoping we could bring in. I guess a loan is still not out of the question, although I'd think Leicester would hope for another Championship move.

• Yes that's not good at all.
    Unless they're simply triggering the deal to increase his value. But then that doesn't suit us either!

• Plenty more fish in the sea that Gareth can hook!

• Adeniran officially released by Everton. He should get a Championship move, but I'm sure we'll be waiting in the wings...

• We have had a low bid turned down by Crewe for 22 year old striker Owen Dale

• Played predominantly on the right of a front 3 but scored 10 OP goals in 20/21 - Ainsworth might see him as someone he can convert into a centre-forward (although versatility is always welcome).

• That said, Blackburn, Ipswich and Sunderland have also been linked, so we'd do well to get him...

• Still can’t believe we are offering fees these days - not sure we’ve done that with any regularity since the halcyon days of Sean Devine and Darren Currie.

• edited June 2021

I'd really like us to go for Stephen Humphrys as a rotation option for Uche - reasonably comparable physically and in terms of work rate and individual ability (scored a very Uche-like goal from outside the box for Southend in the 4-3). He'd be useful for bottom end Championship sides, so I'd be amazed if he's still at Rochdale come the end of the window.

• agreed re Humphrys. Also interested in where George Moncur might end up.

• edited June 2021

He had a goals record of about 1 in 2 this season for an average side in terms of creativity.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    He had a goals record of about 1 in 2 this season for an average side in terms of creativity.

I take it you’re referring to Stephen Humphrys @ReturnToSenda. I couldn’t find his goal stats but did note that he is still under contract at Rochdale.

George Moncur is triple tainted, having played for Colchester, Peterborough and Luton but 10 goals from midfield for the latter (Hatters) are not to be sneezed at.

• @Wycombe85 said:
    Reports from Leicester suggest that Muskwe has signed a contract extension. Very disappointing for us if true. He was the 1 player above all others I was hoping we could bring in. I guess a loan is still not out of the question, although I'd think Leicester would hope for another Championship move.

Real shame. I had Muskwe nailed on to return permanently. Fingers crossed we can get another loan for him