Skip to content

Fred to Luton

Comments

• I guess we will have to wait to 31st of August to see whether this was a good piece of business or not. Everything else is just speculation

• Only just got home, and not having been online all day have just seen this, gutted !

But tbh not surprised, I was never as Convinced as others that we would start next season with the same team as we finished, players, if offered are always going to tey and better themselves in a higher division if they get a chance, and that's exactly what's happened here, and you can't blame Fred for that, though I did find him a bit hit or miss personally, either great or anonymous.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's not the only one who moves up either, others could follow. We can't just think that just because we have a great culture and Gareth they will stay, if they are offered more money and higher up, they will go. One thing I wouldn't be at all surprised to see though, is Feed back on loan later in the season if things havnt worked out.

Also, gave to throw my hat in to the annoyance at the undisclosed fee thing ! No need and should be banned !

• Fred... not feed !... bloody fat fingers

• I'm sure we've put a clause in there where we get him back if Derby are relegated this season!

• Surely someone in the area has spoken to Fred in a coffee shop by now.

Good luck to him. I’ve enjoyed watching him play for us and he has given us some great moments. Nothings lasts forever though and if he wants to stay at Championship level I hope he becomes a success.

All that sincere stuff said if someone on a forum confirms he’s been sold for two flat footballs and a button then I am going to be angry until the culprit is wired up to the new advertising boards.

• @glasshalffull said:

@kiscokid said:

@glasshalffull said:
    ‘Maybe we have resigned ourselves to not competing at the top of Div 1 next season.’ What a strange way to interpret the sale of a player who wanted to leave to a club in a higher division.

Doesn’t say a whole lot for our ambition though as I wouldn’t personally say Luton were a much bigger drawer than Wycombe … or maybe you would ??

They are in the Championship and pay higher wages. What would you do in Fred’s position?

Tell Gaz I ‘believe in the process’ and ask for a better deal ??

• Are the advertising boards still there?

• We're not going to get anywhere near Luton in terms of wages.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Are the advertising boards still there?

No, gone already

• Once I got over the “Fing Luton for f’s sake” ire, I can’t say I blame him. How many times did we get told the championship is the 5th or 6th biggest league in the world. League 1 isn’t and you can’t blame a player for wanting to play in the championship when it is on offer.

I wish him well (in a relegation season) and he was, I thought, looking good at wingback. But in Gaz n Dobbo I trust and I think Rob knows enough about the task in hand to prudently open the purse strings to find us an adequate replacement.

I still think Admiral and Uche are the key - seal that deal (and Anis) and the rest will follow. Although I’d hate to lose Anthony Stewart now I think about it.

• Some lovely ‘end of the world is nigh’ reactions on here. Good to see and should make the close season fly by (I have already created buying and selling rant bingo cards and have ticked off quite a few on the former already…).

I don’t really get all the negativity on the financial side of the sale. Logic would suggest (as we don’t NEED to sell - I hope!) that we negotiated a price appropriate for a regular starter in a lower championship side who is at a peak age with a year left on their contract taking into account the players willingness to stay or move.

Actually knowing the sale fee involved without the context is also not necessarily helpful.

For example for a player keen to stay with us a fee of £200,000 may be the right sort of level but for a player keen to leave a fee of £50,000 (and potential savings on wages) may be more appropriate if it was felt that players attitude (and I’m not for a moment suggesting this is the case here) could prove disruptive if denied a move.

So. Sorry to see Fred go. Glad we got some money. See no reason to believe we were screwed over. Wish him well. Thank him for what he has given us over the years. Recognise that today (with 2 months plus of close season to go) our team is weaker than it was yesterday. Hope that in 2 months plus we have a potential solution to that weakness.

As an aside. Much as I find it difficult to find anything good to say about Luton, it’s football club and/or Nathan Jones I do rather admire what he has achieved there and hope Fred makes the move a success.

• Doubt he'll be back on loan any time soon either, Luton seem pretty shrewd with their signings and most go on to make an impact, look at Adebayo plucked out of League 2 for example. I imagine he'll fit quite well into their side, no immediate positional clash like McCarthy had with Romeo at Millwall either.

• Good move for him and as long as we take a decent fee it isn’t the end of the world. We should see it as a positive in some respects that we’re in a position to demand a fee for good players, and it is encouraging for future prospects if players can see others earning moves through hard work and good performances.

I’d be really gutted if we lost Thompson or Stewart, both of whom I would think might attract some interest.

• We have to trust Gaz, Dobbo, Rob and the backroom team to continue delivering 'gems' that need polishing. We'll be fine I'm sure but it doesn't stop me feeling bereft at missing out on seeing magical talent and a lovely lad. Gutted but still hopeful and believing!

• @floyd said:
    I honestly can't remember the last time i was this upset by a player leaving. Sergio maybe?

Sergio then Luke O9 for me, then today.

• Nathan Tyson, before that Tommy Doherty

• Sergio, Stuart Beavon signing for PNE, Betsy going to Bristol City and Anthony Stewart’s year in the wilderness for me.

• How Nathan Jones ended up back at Luton defies belief. After following closely his move to Stoke and back I don’t know who I less respect for Jones or the Luton support

• Whilst we almost certainly didn’t get lottery win type cash for Fred we have to accept that to build the club we will have to sign and sell on a frequent basis. And that will mean regular heartbreaks.
    When you look at some of the sums Peterborough have been involved in over recent seasons you can see how climbing up the pyramid can involve huge pots of cash. And we can’t do that with bums on seats.

• edited May 2021

Is it just me or do the club announcements about Fred’s departure, on Twitter and the Official site, seem unusually terse?

• That was discussed a few pages back @LeedsBlue, you're not alone.

• edited May 2021

Oops - long thread, long day... please delete my post and spare my blushes for my “Titanic Sinks” moment!

• In fairness, the contract extensions announced in Jan/Feb didn't get any kind of fanfare either. Maybe it's just the way we do things now, just like we're not allowed to mention the past or milestones.

• Or refereeing decisions.

• @kiscokid said:

@glasshalffull said:
    ‘Maybe we have resigned ourselves to not competing at the top of Div 1 next season.’ What a strange way to interpret the sale of a player who wanted to leave to a club in a higher division.

Doesn’t say a whole lot for our ambition though as I wouldn’t personally say Luton were a much bigger drawer than Wycombe … or maybe you would ??

A drawer to put the hats in, I assume.

• The twitter banner was even shorter than suggested above. Just that he'd gone for an undisclosed fee. It does rather suggest he shithoused his way out of here for the bigger wage and place in the Championship.
    I had hoped this year we'd have been better placed to tell clubs to meet higher asking prices or get fkd, but without knowing the fee we can't tell obviously. There's "not standing in people's way" and then there's holding out for what's right and I think other clubs have done better than us at that in recent years.
    We have done alright out of undisclosed fees recently as it gives big clubs the chance to shift mistake purchases for little or nothing while saving face but I'd agree with those who think it's a dodgy practice and doesn't add to the league's financial responsibility or our trusts openness.
    He's been inconsistent at times but to go from the announcements of him coming back, the play offs and the position change and then to assume selling him to them for any old fee is ok doesn't quite sit right.

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    My memory is is hazy but didn’t Freds dad post on here occasionally and would he know the exact seven figure sum. It may of not been Freds dad or seven figures but this is a football forum for gods sake.

I don’t recall Fred’s dad posting on here but Josh Scowen,s dad certainly did, on a regular basis. [See what I did there. Bet that hogs a few memories.]

• If true, £50,000 for a player who hopefully will be a regular in a Championship team seems a steal/daylight robbery.

• I think memories are more likely to be jogged.

• edited May 2021

@micra said:

@MorrisItal_ said:
    My memory is is hazy but didn’t Freds dad post on here occasionally and would he know the exact seven figure sum. It may of not been Freds dad or seven figures but this is a football forum for gods sake.

I don’t recall Fred’s dad posting on here but Josh Scowen,s dad certainly did, on a regular basis. [See what I did there. Bet that hogs a few memories.]

Fred's uncle, Anthony Onyedinma, is on Facebook.