Skip to content

Fred to Luton

Comments

• 100% sure that’s right.
    I share your shock.

• Have we ever sold a player to Luton before?

• Don't really know why fans would be so blasé about losing Fred for as little as 50k. That would be terrible. We're not like we were in the past where we had urgent and immediate cashflow issues and had to have a quick fire sale to avoid administration.

If bloody Luton wanted him whilst he was contracted to us then we should have made
    them pay up accordingly.

This speculation is precisely why the fee should not be undisclosed of course

• Gutted about this - Awful decision.

• Where did this £50k thing come from?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Have we ever sold a player to Luton before?

Viv Busby went from a fringe 1st team player at Loakes Park to sign professionally with the Hatters. Dont think any fee was involved .

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Where did this £50k thing come from?

No idea but let's all get super angry about it.

• ‘Maybe we have resigned ourselves to not competing at the top of Div 1 next season.’ What a strange way to interpret the sale of a player who wanted to leave to a club in a higher division.

• Relegation release clause possibly written into his contract? Would make sense if Luton have a come back in after failed 1st bid.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:

Well I’m going to pretend that the 2.5 million figure is not something someone has plucked out of thin air and am feeling quite smug.

• @glasshalffull said:
    ‘Maybe we have resigned ourselves to not competing at the top of Div 1 next season.’ What a strange way to interpret the sale of a player who wanted to leave to a club in a higher division.

Doesn’t say a whole lot for our ambition though as I wouldn’t personally say Luton were a much bigger drawer than Wycombe … or maybe you would ??

• My memory is is hazy but didn’t Freds dad post on here occasionally and would he know the exact seven figure sum. It may of not been Freds dad or seven figures but this is a football forum for gods sake.

• edited May 2021

@kiscokid said:

@glasshalffull said:
    ‘Maybe we have resigned ourselves to not competing at the top of Div 1 next season.’ What a strange way to interpret the sale of a player who wanted to leave to a club in a higher division.

Doesn’t say a whole lot for our ambition though as I wouldn’t personally say Luton were a much bigger drawer than Wycombe … or maybe you would ??

Certainly purely for footballing reasons, a semi-established Championship club is a much bigger draw than a club who could become one but are currently in League One.

• It's going tn> @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:

I clearly stated I read it on the Luton fan forum about a page back which is probably as accurate as the Gasroom hence I jokingly suggested it was somewhere in between the 2.5 million someone on HERE had said and 50k.

• @kiscokid said:

@glasshalffull said:

They are in the Championship and pay higher wages. What would you do in Fred’s position?

• @glasshalffull, it may be a strange interpretation to you but for me Fred was one of our better young players and one that I had assumed we would move heaven and earth to hold onto to ensure we push for a quick return to the Championship.
    Also, do you know he wanted to leave or did we just accept the offer and he had no choice? Maybe you have inside information I have not had at my disposal.

• In other news, someone put this on Fred's wikipedia page earlier:

Onyedinma signed for Luton Town for a fee of around £200m on 25 May 2021. On arrival, he took one look at the down and legged it back to Buckinghamshire, stating “I’ve never seen so many people with six fingers in my life.” He left the club later that day. [14]

• The weather may not show it, but the looooong Gasroom summer has certainly begun! :smile:

• 6 top signings later it will be "Fred who?"

• @glasshalffull said:

@kiscokid said:

@glasshalffull said:

They are in the Championship and pay higher wages. What would you do in Fred’s position?

He's under contract for another year.

I can fully understand why he would want to leave, but we should make Luton pay what he's worth or wait a year.

Rob Couhig told us only weeks ago that we were in the best financial position the club has ever been in. So we should be in a strong position to get a good deal.

The trouble is nobody knows if we did or not

• @eric_plant said:

@glasshalffull said:

@kiscokid said:

@glasshalffull said:

I can fully understand why he would want to leave, but we should make Luton pay what he's worth or wait a year.

Rob Couhig told us only weeks ago that we were in the best financial position the club has ever been in. So we should be in a strong position to get a good deal.

He may have had a relegation release clause written into his contract.

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    My memory is is hazy but didn’t Freds dad post on here occasionally and would he know the exact seven figure sum. It may of not been Freds dad or seven figures but this is a football forum for gods sake.

Let's just pretend I'm Fred's mate.
    I can confirm the fee was "loads".

• @Jonny7 said:

@eric_plant said:

@glasshalffull said:

@kiscokid said:

@glasshalffull said:

He may have had a relegation release clause written into his contract.

Not sure about that as he didn't sign a new deal after promotion. Would a relegation clause not apply to the division the team is in at the time of signing the contract?

• edited May 2021

As for waiting a year, why would we run the risk of losing him for free? I know we don't know the fee, but there's no reason to assume we would have just rolled over and accepted any old offer.

• If it is £50k (as reported on a Luton forum @Right_in_the_Middle) or anywhere close to it, it’s an appalling piece of business.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    As for waiting a year, why would we run the risk of losing him for free? I know we don't know the fee, but there's no reason to assume we would have just rolled over and accepted any old offer.

Because we'd have got an extra season's value out of him playing for us

Using your logic we might as well accept a tenner

"Better than nothing next June"

• @eric_plant said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Because we'd have got an extra season's value out of him playing for us

Using your logic we might as well accept a tenner

"Better than nothing next June"

I'd back to Gaz to get value out of a tenner tbf

• @Malone said:

@MorrisItal_ said:
    My memory is is hazy but didn’t Freds dad post on here occasionally and would he know the exact seven figure sum. It may of not been Freds dad or seven figures but this is a football forum for gods sake.

Let's just pretend I'm Fred's mate.
    I can confirm the fee was "loads".

I knew it, I did see a huge armoured truck from Luton heading towards the ground this morning

• You cannot blame Fred for wanting to play in the Championship. Hopefully there are not too many other players who also feel the same. We look to have a strong squad already and I hope we can improve things to be really competitive next season.

• He'll come crawling back in January, they always do! Seriously though Gareth clearly gets the best out of him I'm surprised he's gone again.