Skip to content

Fred to Luton

Comments

• @Shev said:
    I just realized we have lost both halves of the Allsop-Fred penalty winning combo in the playoff final. I am now terrified Oxford will release the player who gave up on the hospital pass to make it all possible!

Need to build a statue of that penalty-winning moment imo

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Shev said:
    I just realized we have lost both halves of the Allsop-Fred penalty winning combo in the playoff final. I am now terrified Oxford will release the player who gave up on the hospital pass to make it all possible!

Need to build a statue of that penalty-winning moment imo

We could unveil it in tandem with Oxford raising their 'Playoff Participants 2019-20 and 2020-21' banners over their missing stand.

• edited May 2021

@DJWYC14 said:
    Not quite sure why some seem to be seeing Williams as the panacea. An option true but not sure he'd be first choice. The club statement is oddly short and gives the impression something more may have happened here, not suggesting what but it is brief.

Don't think he's the panacea, but when there's a player available for free who wasn't bad for us in his first men's season, went onto Exeter and won their player of the season- attracting championship interest, before getting injured and deciding he wants to move closer to home (Watford), it seems a pretty good replacement provided he's fully recovered.

• @drcongo said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    @drcongo That is it

In which case I take back what I said earlier. Club clearly wanted shot of him.

That said, it's not really any different to what the club put out when announcing Allsop, Charles etc. had been released. Maybe it's just the way we're doing things now. Very emotionless.

• Really gutted.... all the best Fred

• @floyd said:
    I'd love to know what's changed since we turned them down in January. Did Fred demand the move? Did they give us enough money for three L1 players? It certainly doesn't bode well.

We went down!
    The reason for rejecting it out of hand at the moment from Rob Couhig was that we didn't see it as a step up for the player.

• @mooneyman said:
    Fred probably wants Championship football NOW.

Some saddo has inserted a false entry on Wiki saying he's moved to Luton for £2.5m! I think £500k would be a more accurate valuation.

Would be amazed and delighted at a fee that high!

• @floyd said:
    I'd love to know what's changed since we turned them down in January. Did Fred demand the move? Did they give us enough money for three L1 players? It certainly doesn't bode well.

We went down!
    The reason for rejecting it out of hand at the moment from Rob Couhig was that we didn't see it as a step up for the player.

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I don't see how not disclosing the fee is insulting to fans, for the reason @Username points out - plus the fact that football clubs, like it or not, are businesses.

It seems to really rankle some fans, similar to the injury secrecy.
    It's debated almost every transfer and injury.

• Fred was fantastic in the second half of the season and I can see why Luton wanted him. But I think he is a player who needs love and if he gets less TLC at Luton with management and dressing room he may not hit those highs.
    Wish him nothing but luck, just a shame it is with them.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Fred obviously liked it at Wycombe...but he was still a bit of an up and down player which is fine with the crowd at AP but not so much at places like Millwall and - perhaps - Luton...where the fans seem to take a dislike to or get on the backs of players quite easily. I would have thought he would have been looking at a great season in League One so I hope he has a good one at Luton as he needs to start making his mark.

It's a shame to lose him as he's one of those players that can exist in the championship but would be a star player in league one

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Malone said:

@mooneyman said:

Some saddo has inserted a false entry on Wiki saying he's moved to Luton for £2.5m! I think £500k would be a more accurate valuation.

Someone on the Luton site says £50k rising to £75k with appearances and a small sell-on. So it's somewhere between £2.5m and 50K.

• Fred's departure may only be the start. Despite my great sadness at his departure, I think its definitely understandable to see why. He's championship standard no doubt, and I think the last 10 or so games of the season proved this and his worth. I wish him all the best for the future.

I also think Grimmer, Stewart, Horgan, Thompson and Mehmeti could all leave too. I think so for the following reasons.

Grimmer I think was really my player of the season, even if few agree with me. His defensive displays proved he can hack it as a right back in the championship and I believe he will definitely be a Scottish international at some point in the near future. I also believe hes probably the player who we turned the 'large fee' down in January, given he was one of the few who played all the minutes in the league at that point.

Stewart I believe has been brilliant when he has played this season. He's a rock at the back, and has been near unflawable ever since Wembley. I think Championship clubs will definitely be sniffing around for him. Whilst he missed 2 months through injury, I think he's done enough to prove himself as a first team defender for a mid table club.

Horgan has been disappointing at most times. I think he gives it a 100% but does look unhappy at times. I think playing him out wide was a mistake, and behind the striker would have been better for him. If that has happened, who knows what the situation may have been. Horgan is a brilliant player, no doubts there, but his struggle here is sad to see, and a move may be necessary for him.

Thompson is so effective as being the ball winner in the team. He always gives it 100% and makes the art of that job, although thought of as 'boring' brilliant to watch. I think clubs will also be looking at him, given he's so robust and has proven real quality at this level.

Mehmeti is one for the future with no doubts. Like Grimmer he'll definitely be playing internationally for Albania's first team in the near future. Whilst he is only 20 and doesn't even count as being in our squad, surely teams higher up will be looking at him and the attention he's attracting? 3 goals for a 20 year old midfielder in his first season of professional league football is an achievement, and I think it's only time till someone picks up on him.

After Fred, we will just have to see really. I think Obita is definitely a suitable replacement out wide. I think people who aren't convinced by him should give him more time. He's the best option of that left wing back role (if we keep playing 3-4-1-2, I hope we do). Obita is really a left mid, rather than a left back, so I think this position will suit him perfectly. He's also definitely good enough for League One. Also, for those who want to sign Randell Williams, I'd say this. For Exeter, when they were playing wing backs, he played on the right rather than the left. I don't think playing him as a left wing back will be the best idea. However, adjusting the formation slightly could solve this issue, if we had 3 up front, so like 3-4-3, with Randell on the right and McCleary on the left etc. I remain optimistic for the future.

• Couldn't put it better than that. This has absolutely ruined my day.
    Would have been slightly less of a blow if he'd gone (almost) anywhere else, but Luton??
    I'm just glad we're not playing them next season, at least in the League.
    Fair play to Fred, at least he gets to stay in the Championship. I just hope the fee was half-decent. In the past I've been miffed with our players leaving for what has often seemed like below-par fees.
    Good luck Fred, hope it goes well for you there.

• Very disappointing indeed. Fred had started to really play well in that new wingback role.
    Maybe we have resigned ourselves to not competing at the top of Div 1 next season.
    Terrible sale and to bloody Luton as wel ??

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Anyone else think the club statement seems unfairly blunt?

I may be reading too much into it, but to me it sounds like the kind of farewell you'd give a player who the club wanted to keep, but the player themselves didn't want to stay.

• @PBo, that is exactly what I thought when I read the club statement.

• @PBo said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Anyone else think the club statement seems unfairly blunt?

I may be reading too much into it, but to me it sounds like the kind of farewell you'd give a player who the club wanted to keep, but the player themselves didn't want to stay.

Kind of what I thought, but as I said above it's not really any different to what the club put out when they announced who had been released.

• @Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:

@mooneyman said:

Someone on the Luton site says £50k rising to £75k with appearances and a small sell-on. So it's somewhere between £2.5m and 50K.

@Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:

@mooneyman said:

Yes that sounds much more the fee i would expect!

• edited May 2021

@thedieharder Out of interest how old are you?

While I really love Grimmer, if you watch him at right back and think "international footballer", I'm not sure we're watching the same game. He's one of the best one on one defenders I've seen at the club, but his distribution and general passing is woeful at times and he was found out going forward in the championship, it was a noticeable improvement in that department when McCarthy took over, and, again, as much as Im glad we have McCarthy, he's no Cafu.

• @thedieharder said:
    Fred's departure may only be the start. Despite my great sadness at his departure, I think its definitely understandable to see why. He's championship standard no doubt, and I think the last 10 or so games of the season proved this and his worth. I wish him all the best for the future.

I also think Grimmer, Stewart, Horgan, Thompson and Mehmeti could all leave too. I think so for the following reasons.

Grimmer I think was really my player of the season, even if few agree with me. His defensive displays proved he can hack it as a right back in the championship and I believe he will definitely be a Scottish international at some point in the near future. I also believe hes probably the player who we turned the 'large fee' down in January, given he was one of the few who played all the minutes in the league at that point.

Stewart I believe has been brilliant when he has played this season. He's a rock at the back, and has been near unflawable ever since Wembley. I think Championship clubs will definitely be sniffing around for him. Whilst he missed 2 months through injury, I think he's done enough to prove himself as a first team defender for a mid table club.

Horgan has been disappointing at most times. I think he gives it a 100% but does look unhappy at times. I think playing him out wide was a mistake, and behind the striker would have been better for him. If that has happened, who knows what the situation may have been. Horgan is a brilliant player, no doubts there, but his struggle here is sad to see, and a move may be necessary for him.

Thompson is so effective as being the ball winner in the team. He always gives it 100% and makes the art of that job, although thought of as 'boring' brilliant to watch. I think clubs will also be looking at him, given he's so robust and has proven real quality at this level.

Mehmeti is one for the future with no doubts. Like Grimmer he'll definitely be playing internationally for Albania's first team in the near future. Whilst he is only 20 and doesn't even count as being in our squad, surely teams higher up will be looking at him and the attention he's attracting? 3 goals for a 20 year old midfielder in his first season of professional league football is an achievement, and I think it's only time till someone picks up on him.

After Fred, we will just have to see really. I think Obita is definitely a suitable replacement out wide. I think people who aren't convinced by him should give him more time. He's the best option of that left wing back role (if we keep playing 3-4-1-2, I hope we do). Obita is really a left mid, rather than a left back, so I think this position will suit him perfectly. He's also definitely good enough for League One. Also, for those who want to sign Randell Williams, I'd say this. For Exeter, when they were playing wing backs, he played on the right rather than the left. I don't think playing him as a left wing back will be the best idea. However, adjusting the formation slightly could solve this issue, if we had 3 up front, so like 3-4-3, with Randell on the right and McCleary on the left etc. I remain optimistic for the future.

I thought it was pretty well known it was Fred we turned the bit down for. And from Luton too. And noone ever said it was a "large" fee anyway!

I thought Grimmer was similar to Fred. Can exist in the championship and is star player in league one.
    But can't see anyone from that level buying him.

• If Fred’s fee is six figures I would be surprised. I’m guessing he probably would have liked to have gone in January and looking at the speed of this deal had an agreement in place that if and when we went down he would be allowed to revisit the deal.
    He has one year left on his deal and a want away player on the books for 12 months will be a cut your losses transfer.
    No reason to believe this will signal the floodgates opening although Stewart certainly has shown he is better than league 1 and I am sure Horgan’s agent will be working on getting his international star out of Buckingham (and hoping no potential suitors had access to ifollow last season).

• The interview he gives on the Luton website is quite effusive and excited. He may be saying the stuff he thinks he has to say, but it certainly lends weight to the theory that he wanted to go and Wanderers reluctantly agreed.

• @thedieharder said:
    Fred's departure may only be the start. Despite my great sadness at his departure, I think its definitely understandable to see why. He's championship standard no doubt, and I think the last 10 or so games of the season proved this and his worth. I wish him all the best for the future.

Not really worried about any of these. Grimmer: what @Username said. Stewart and Thompson: turn 29 and 28 respectively in September, plus Stewart isn't assured enough on the ball for the way most teams at that level play. Horgan: a quality player, no doubt, but there's not exactly much recent evidence of his ability to excel at that level - plus we've got Mehmeti and McCleary for the 10 role, so he wouldn't be a disastrous loss by any means. Mehmeti: still pretty raw and, given that he was happy to drop into amateur football for minutes, I'd say he's got his head very screwed on and will know this is the best place for his development for one more season at least.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@thedieharder said:

Not really worried about any of these. Grimmer: what @Username said. Stewart and Thompson: turn 29 and 28 respectively in September, plus Stewart isn't assured enough on the ball for the way most teams at that level play. Horgan: a quality player, no doubt, but there's not exactly much recent evidence of his ability to excel at that level - plus we've got Mehmeti and McCleary for the 10 role, so he wouldn't be a disastrous loss by any means. Mehmeti: still pretty raw and, given that he was happy to drop into amateur football for minutes, I'd say he's got his head very screwed on and will know this is the best place for his development for one more season at least.

Touching all kinds of wood just in case, though ?

• Probably not the best bit of business to stimulate season ticket sales!

• @Username said:
    @thedieharder Out of interest how old are you?

While I really love Grimmer, if you watch him at right back and think "international footballer", I'm not sure we're watching the same game. He's one of the best one on one defenders I've seen at the club, but his distribution and general passing is woeful at times and he was found out going forward in the championship, it was a noticeable improvement in that department when McCarthy took over, and, again, as much as Im glad we have McCarthy, he's no Cafu.

What I meant is a Scotland call up is possible. I didn't mean to phrase it that way though.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Very disappointing indeed. Fred had started to really play well in that new wingback role.
    Maybe we have resigned ourselves to not competing at the top of Div 1 next season.
    Terrible sale and to bloody Luton as wel ??

First paragraph: totally agree.
    Second para : no way hosay.

• @micra, I hope you are right about my 2nd para.
    I am probably just in shock at losing a player to Luton.