Skip to content

Comments

• Hopefully we got a good amount for him

• This is so disappointing. Knew they came in for him in Jan, but gutted that he's gone when Gaz consistently gets the best out of him.

The wound is still fresh, and I know it's a short career, if he flip flop back like JMac did, I don't know how I'd feel.

• Dreadful start to the summer

• Well that's a blow. Undisclosed fee of course. Disappointing.

• If we use the money to get in Williams on a free and change then it's good business, especially if we plan on playing with wing backs- Williams was Exeter's player of the year largely from left wing back when he was fit.

• This is so disappointing. And the undisclosed fee adds insult to injury.

• I hate undisclosed fees!

• I'd love to know what's changed since we turned them down in January. Did Fred demand the move? Did they give us enough money for three L1 players? It certainly doesn't bode well.

• @floyd said:
    This is so disappointing. And the undisclosed fee adds insult to injury.

Fees are always undisclosed

• Here’s the bright side. As we rejected the earlier bid and we are no longer as desperate for money as we were for us to let him go my guess is ithe revised offer we accepted was a substantial amount.

GA wouldn’t have agreed if he didn’t think that he can use the additional money next season

• Does this mean the club knows we can’t offer Fred championship football next year, or has the delay in announcing the decision on Derby lost us one of our key players? I really hope we haven’t lost out due to the delay

• edited May 2021

Can't begrudge any player wanting Championship football, and Luton are becoming an established club at that level and going places. I actually don't think it's as big a loss as if would have been had we not switched to three at the back, as we've already got Obita who can play there and it might give us more to work with for a deal for Williams - both in terms of money for wages and the fact we could offer him a regular starting role.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:

That’s not true tho is it? I understand why it might be the wise thing to do, but when it’s a key player in question it’s very frustrating.

• @floyd said:
    I'd love to know what's changed since we turned them down in January.

Erm......we got relegated

• We will be in league one next season. If we aren’t I’m a Dutchman.

• edited May 2021

@floyd said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:

That’s not true tho is it? I understand why it might be the wise thing to do, but when it’s a key player in question it’s very frustrating.

I can't remember us disclosing a fee in recent years? It's pretty standard practice, although I'm sure a pretty close estimate will leak out.

• @eric_plant said:

@floyd said:
    I'd love to know what's changed since we turned them down in January.

Erm......we got relegated

Well obviously. Hopefully that means it was a player driven decision rather than one of financial necessity or owner philosophy. Good luck to him i guess. Football careers are short etc etc.

• @floyd said:
    I'd love to know what's changed since we turned them down in January. Did Fred demand the move? Did they give us enough money for three L1 players? It certainly doesn't bode well.

I think in Jan they didn't offer above and beyond, and the conversation was had with Fred about whether he fancied it. I imagine they came back in, perhaps at the same level because of the relegation, and he said he wanted to stay in the Championship this time.

Perhaps he even had an agreement saying if they came back in he could go.

• Fred probably wants Championship football NOW.

Some saddo has inserted a false entry on Wiki saying he's moved to Luton for £2.5m! I think £500k would be a more accurate valuation.

• Undisclosed fees should not be allowed. We are fans, we actually own 25% of the club and yet we have no idea whether or not to feel that we've done a good bit of business or not.

Mind you, they used to do it when we were 100% fan-owned as well.

So owners can't really be trusted to do the right thing so it's up to the football authorities to remove the grubby murkiness surrounding transfers and make it compulsory for football clubs to make public all transfer fees

Otherwise we'll just continue to be insulted in this way

• I wish him nothing but the best. I hope he scores a hattrick every week in a 4-3 Luton loss.

Gutted, but this club has a wonderful ethos of standing aside for players to move onwards and upwards if they feel they need to for the development of their careers. This will only help us attract more talent.

• @mooneyman said:
    Fred probably wants Championship football NOW.

Some saddo has inserted a false entry on Wiki saying he's moved to Luton for £2.5m! I think £500k would be a more accurate valuation.

And a big sell on clause i hope.

• Luton fans chipped in with 40% of the fee. I suspect O9 next!

• I guess you don’t really want the market to know exactly how much you have available

• @eric_plant said:
    Undisclosed fees should not be allowed. We are fans, we actually own 25% of the club and yet we have no idea whether or not to feel that we've done a good bit of business or not.

So owners can't really be trusted to do the right thing so it's up to the football authorities to remove the grubby murkiness surrounding transfers and make it compulsory for football clubs to make public all transfer fees

Spot on. More transparency is healthy.

• I honestly can't remember the last time i was this upset by a player leaving. Sergio maybe?

• Best that this happens at the start of the summer as well. We'll replace well like we always do - I think the only player I'd absolutely s**t myself over losing this summer would be Uche, as it took us forever to find a striker like him.

• @eric_plant said:
    Undisclosed fees should not be allowed. We are fans, we actually own 25% of the club and yet we have no idea whether or not to feel that we've done a good bit of business or not.

I do see the point in keeping it undisclosed until we've made our own summer moves, if we say we've got 500k in the bank then surely that immediately adds a bit onto any fee or wage demands.

• Which is why the decision needs to be taken out of their hands and for it to be compulsory

• @eric_plant said:

They should just reveal 25% of the fee.