Skip to content

EFL Playoffs

Comments

• If it was abandoned, now they are in extra time, do they start again at 0-2 or just do a one off game at 0-0 or just go straight to penalties now?

• It won't be now but it increasingly looks like the pitch will be a big factor in the result - one pass or shot stuck in a puddle could be key.

• Penalties in these conditions...

• With a big sign saying 'Should have gone to Specsavers Stroud' looming behind the goal.

• edited May 2021

Football is, indeed, cruel.

• That was a fantastic game. Can’t wait to see Ellison v Adams.

• What a finish that was.
    Perfectly in keeping with the game itself.

• Just saw a funny meme that involved Kylie and Oxford Utd

"So come on come on door, the no promotion with me"

• Do, not door*

Would be great to sing that to them!

• Of the clubs in League 1next season, Gillingham will be the longest serving member, starting their ninth consecutive season at this level (just shows how much promotion/relegation is a fact of life at this level). Other 'long' servers include Fleetwood, Shrewsbury and Oxford. If Blackpool win the play off final, only seven teams will have been in the division longer than Sunderland.

9th season - Gillingham
    8th - Fleetwood
    7th - Shrewsbury
    6th - Oxford, Wimbledon
    5th - Portsmouth, Doncaster, Blackpool (if they lose play off final)
    4th - Sunderland, Burton, Accrington

• edited May 2021

Interesting - L1 is the only division with seven clubs leaving every season, and with it also being where rich meets poor, it makes even more sense that it is tough to stick around in.

• Are we now rich or poor Shev?

• And all those with at least 5 years in the division have been promoted in from League 2, rather than relegated from the Championship. There may have been a few who have yo-yo'd between Championship and League 1, such as Rotherham, Barnsley, Hull, Peterborough. Swindon and Northampton went straight back down to League 2 this season, which has been unusual over the last 5 years, as most teams promoted into League 1 manage to stick around.

• edited May 2021

Last season was the first season any promoted team had gone straight back down (Tranmere) since 2011/12, when [checks notes] we did.

• Portsmouth are funny ones, Disney owned, massively messed up financially not long ago but then seemingly recovered and stable with huge gates. They'll be livid to still be here, not that it'll help them.
    @mooneyman I'd suggest we are probably starting the season as rich as we've ever been, yet with a decent bit of caution, and still way behind at least 4 or 5 clubs. Will be really interested to see who we are able to sign.

• @mooneyman said:
    Are we now rich or poor Shev?

Definitely upwardly mobile as of right now! Looking at the Cheltenhams and Cambridges of the world with a patronizing sense of nostalgia for times gone by, but still well short of the Ipswich/Sunderland/Portsmouth level.

If we don't get promoted straight back up, I could see us settling into that Gillingham level, nibbling at the playoffs and being a comfortable distance from the drop zone.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Portsmouth are funny ones, Disney owned, massively messed up financially not long ago but then seemingly recovered and stable with huge gates. They'll be livid to still be here, not that it'll help them.

It's hard to spur your team on to success when the only terrace chants allowed are renditions of 'A Whole New World' and 'Be Our Guest'.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Portsmouth are funny ones, Disney owned, massively messed up financially not long ago but then seemingly recovered and stable with huge gates. They'll be livid to still be here, not that it'll help them.
    @mooneyman I'd suggest we are probably starting the season as rich as we've ever been, yet with a decent bit of caution, and still way behind at least 4 or 5 clubs. Will be really interested to see who we are able to sign.

Portsmouth and Sunderland will inevitably eventually go back up when they get their respective circuses in order.

The fun is enjoying the years they bungle it.

• @Shev said:

@StrongestTeam said:

It's hard to spur your team on to success when the only terrace chants allowed are renditions of 'A Whole New World' and 'Be Our Guest'.

Reference to the latter reminded me of one of my favourite Simpsons songs:

• edited May 2021

Indulge me in a strange lament
    Of wasted tinpot seasons spent
    A giant club of red and white
    Reduced to points-per-game-based spite

I was going to write a whole poem before I realized this sums it up.

• @HCblue The all time greatest Simpson's song, possibly only rivalled by Monorail.

• edited May 2021

@drcongo said:
    @HCblue The all time greatest Simpson's song, possibly only rivalled by Monorail.

I’d have the Stonecutters as numero uno

• Ignore the Newcastle bit it’s a draft that didn’t meet my editorial standard

• Looking at the L1 teams I was thinking there would be a number of big turn-outs next season...but I forgot that a lot of the fans of other clubs have made it clear they'll never come to AP again. :smile:

• "I wouldn't want to watch that every couple of years"

• I look forward to seeing us beat the big clubs playing like we did towards the end of last season. I wonder if their fans would sing a different tune.

• edited May 2021

Seeing a play-off final with fans is making me long for us to play ours again ?

• Swansea captain Matt Grimes lucky not to be sent off inside five minutes

• Brentford just scored a sublime counterattacking second.

• Sensational stuff from Brentford - that would have been an all-time great play-off final goal from Toney - who look made for the PL.