Skip to content

Luke O'Nien and Josh Scowen out of contract.

Can you imagine? ?

Comments

• The way Scowen lunged in to give that pen away I'm not sure he's ahead of Thompson, Gape and Adeniran any more.

O Nien though. We wouldn't be messing about playing him at centre back for goodness sake.

• It's genuinely sad to see Luke.playing without that smile on his face.

• There must have been a few moments where Luke has wondered if he’s made the wrong decision, even before our promotion. I’d love to have him back if we can’t get Adeniran.

• Just wonder if O Nien is what we need for the new style we're trying to bed in.

Does Wheeler replicate what O Nien used to give us? Work rate, heading ability, is mobile. And dare I say with a step up in class? Much as I loved O Nien here.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    It's genuinely sad to see Luke.playing without that smile on his face.

Totally agree. He needs saving from that madhouse

• A quick scan on the cesspool of social media and most of the Sunderland fans want O’Nein gone. I’d be more than happy to pop up to the Cressex service station to pick him up if that tipped it.

• With fans like theirs, he should definitely get out of their madhouse.

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/luke-onien-to-portsnouth.1551230/page-4

• I know Luke must have made a lot of extra money from that move, but....

Imagine you are Luke O'Nien. It is spring 2019, and Sunderland are looking like automatic promotion is in their grasp at the first time of asking. Meanwhile, you see your old club Wycombe enduring a terrible run of results, sinking back towards League Two, also at the first time of asking.

A wizened old man approaches you, telling you he can see the future. 'Your old teammates will play in the Championship with Wycombe for a season, and when they come back down, Sunderland will still be there."

You laugh.

• Wycombe have a number of "wildly optimistic" (coughs deluded) fans, but I'm not convinced even any of the usual suspects would have foreseen us getting to the championship before them!

However, it looks likely O Nien will move on, just to whom.

• It sounds like 09 has played everywhere in that team except the bloody midfield and they still think he is not good enough for them!

• This may be controversial to some. If we had the opportunity I think I’d rather Adeniran over O’Nien. Whilst Luke was fantastic for us I think Dennis has the greater potential and has already shown he has what it takes to play at a higher level. Perhaps it would also show a greater level of ambition as a club to bring in someone with his talent.

Is it sometimes best to remember what you had with fondness and move on?

• I would imagine Luke is on a decent wage and will go to another Big Club.

• Bring him home

• I think you might be surprised by the relatively modest (‘relatively’ heavily underlined) level of Luke O’Nien’s salary. If information published online is to be believed, It is more or less on a par with that of the highest Wycombe earners.

I used to chat to Luke occasionally and, not long before he moved to Sunderland, he challenged me to play him at table tennis. I was competing quite well at the time (at the Handy Cross 50+ Club) against some of the older local league players and it crossed my mind that it might be quite entertaining. However, when he told me that he had his own table tennis table (and bearing in mind the reflexes that got him into the Guinness Book of Records for keepy uppies with a tennis ball) I didn’t take up the challenge.

Lovely lad that he is and notwithstanding his undoubted talent, I very much agree with @a40.

• I’d bring him back in a heartbeat, great kid with the right attitude for the club and we need a challenger to the whiff whaff dominance of @micra ..

• I would definitely have him second to Adeniran, and strange to think he only ever played for us in L2. However, he is a perfect fit for our culture, and I am certain we would get the best out of him, as we do with so many others.

No matter what, it would be pretty amazing to see him walk out in the quarters again!

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    I’d bring him back in a heartbeat, great kid with the right attitude for the club and we need a challenger to the whiff whaff dominance of @micra ..

I’m afraid my whiff whaff is no longer dominant @MorrisItal_ _. And to be honest, I’d not heard the term before. Only ping pong.

• This only confirms my suspicion that people who live in South Bucks do nothing but hang around chatting and playing games with WWFC staff and players

• Especially those people that carry large bags of sweets around with them @LX1!

• @micra said:

@MorrisItal_ said:
    I’d bring him back in a heartbeat, great kid with the right attitude for the club and we need a challenger to the whiff whaff dominance of @micra ..

I’m afraid my whiff whaff is no longer dominant @MorrisItal_ _. And to be honest, I’d not heard the term before. Only ping pong.

In south Bucks it’s ping pong but as you head up past Aylesbury we call it whiff whaff, of course they don’t have a word for the sport in Milton Keynes as there such things are considered witchcraft.

• @micra said:
    I think you might be surprised by the relatively modest (‘relatively’ heavily underlined) level of Luke O’Nien’s salary. If information published online is to be believed, It is more or less on a par with that of the highest Wycombe earners.

I used to chat to Luke occasionally and, not long before he moved to Sunderland, he challenged me to play him at table tennis. I was competing quite well at the time (at the Handy Cross 50+ Club) against some of the older local league players and it crossed my mind that it might be quite entertaining. However, when he told me that he had his own table tennis table (and bearing in mind the reflexes that got him into the Guinness Book of Records for keepy uppies with a tennis ball) I didn’t take up the challenge.

Lovely lad that he is and notwithstanding his undoubted talent, I very much agree with @a40.

I had my own table tennis table until about 6months back. Unused in 20 years mind!

• Too late to challenge you then @Malone.
    We had a TT table in the kitchen when I was a teenager. It was a very tight fit and hard to squeeze past the Aga when changing ends!!

• @micra said:
    Too late to challenge you then @Malone.
    We had a TT table in the kitchen when I was a teenager. It was a very tight fit and hard to squeeze past the Aga when changing ends!!

This is the flaw with these things.

You need a massive room to fit it in to start with, and it's easy to overlook you need even more room to run around it as well!

• I remember my early days of competing in the Middlesex TT League, playing in a spacious room against (sorry @bookertease) the M+t P++++e. I smashed the ball as hard as I could and, time and again, my opponent seemed to take off towards the ceiling in the corner of the room and return the ball. It was quite an eye opener and I don’t recall playing too often after

• @micra said:
    ... my opponent seemed to take off towards the ceiling in the corner of the room and return the ball

Would that gave been in their helicopter, I wonder?

• VTOL I reckon. I don’t recall playing too often after that.

• @Malone said:

@micra said:

You need a massive room to fit it in to start with, and it's easy to overlook you need even more room to run around it as well!

Anyone else read "Bounce" by Matthew Syed? (Highly recommended if you haven't.) In it, he talked of his early days learning the game and the fact that he played in very confined space, thus meaning that his reflexes were necessarily finely-honed. Cited it as a benefit to his learning rather than handicap.

• @HCblue said:

@Malone said:

@micra said:

Anyone else read "Bounce" by Matthew Syed? (Highly recommended if you haven't.) In it, he talked of his early days learning the game and the fact that he played in very confined space, thus meaning that his reflexes were necessarily finely-honed. Cited it as a benefit to his learning rather than handicap.

Syed was a pretty decent player wasn't he? Funnily enough my Dad was claiming he could beat him yesterday, which came out of the blue a bit considering Syed went to 2 Olympics.

• Interesting @HCblue. Am I right to infer that you are rather more than a whiff whaffer yourself?

I’d like to read “Bounce” one day but I’m currently trying to discipline myself to press on with a few of the books that I’ve got a few chapters into before being distracted
    (quite often by other partially read books).
    In one or two cases, I have literally lost the plot. Recollection of names, in particular, is a problem. Biographies and auto-biographies are less taxing and more dippable into.

One of my partially read books - How Steeple Sinderby Wanderers won the FA Cup by J L Carr - was recommended to me on the Gasroom by someone whose username (@Wig_and_Pen) suggested legal connections. Ive not seen anything on the Gasroom from him (or her) for a very long time.

• `Syed was indeed a very good player. British number one for a good while and went to the Olympics.

Not a whiff whaffer myself, @micra. The book was an investigation of the idea of natural talent - it contained a number of examples to suggest that high quantities of good quality practice and coaching was more important.`