Skip to content

FA Cup Final 20-21

Something in my eyes as a crowd (sort of) sings Abide with Me.

Comments

• The choir was an improvement on the usual honking foghorn guest singer but nothing will ever beat the sound of 90,000 fans singing Abide With Me.

• True.

• National Anthem singer underlining your point.

• Local rivalries aside anything that halts the progress of any of the 'big six' towards silverware or success this season I'm up for.

• I love VAR... (today only)

• The justification from the commentary team that another awful VAR decision has somehow added to the game is awful to hear.

The guy was level but level isn't possible once the technology takes over.

Pleased for Leicester

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    The justification from the commentary team that another awful VAR decision has somehow added to the game is awful to hear.

Pleased for Leicester

Looked offside to me though it would never have been given before VAR.

• It was an awful decision but it's Chelsea so LOL.

• His knee was quite clearly offside

• Kasper Schmeichel MoM for me but I only watched first 20 and last 15 minutes. Culinary duties intervened. Great result.

• We was definitely offside, though agree without VAR it wouldn't have been given

• Pleased for Leicester, a smashing club who were so dignified and generous to Wycombe when we beat them on that memorable day, in stark contrast to Chelsea when we lost there in the League Cup.

• He.... not we !

• edited May 2021

@wwfcblue said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    The justification from the commentary team that another awful VAR decision has somehow added to the game is awful to hear.

Pleased for Leicester

It wasn’t offside before VAR but if those who watch this millionaire football regularly need it to add some excitement they are welcome to it. Maybe they could bring in the It’s a Knockout joker for next season.
    I’ll go back to watching football without VAR blighting the game and complain about awful refereeing on the pitch rather than awful refereeing from an office in Uxbridge

So good to see fans in the stadium though. Having had to miss a big Wembley win during this horrible pandemic I hope Leicester fans enjoy the day.

• Someone's tired

• Leicester scored a legal goal and won the FA Cup for the first time in their history.

But for VAR, Chelsea would have “scored” an illegal goal and denied them.

QED

• Irrelevant of VAR some very special moments for Leicester City and Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha. The way the players celebrated with him once he got down to the pitch says it all about his families ownership of the club. He’s taken over his fathers mantle and kept the club moving forward. They are an inspiration to smaller clubs.

• Sorry @DevC you may be technically right but you are so so wrong. To the human eye it was level and the games is played and officiated by humans.

Glad on this occasion but still hate VAR.

And didn’t the ball strike a Leicester players hand in the run up to the goal?

But forget VAR - that final save from Schmeichel was out of this world

• Great as well for Knight and Muskwe to end their season on a high.

• Good call - I never gave them a thought but yes, really pleased for them

• @DevC said:
    Leicester scored a legal goal and won the FA Cup for the first time in their history.

But for VAR, Chelsea would have “scored” an illegal goal and denied them.

QED

???

One of your worst ever attempts. Your powers are on the wane

• Wasn't clear and obvious. Would have stood in every other league below. Glad for Leicester but would still rather be discussing/moaning about the refereeing decisions for years after than put up with this VAR ?!

• Really pleased for Leicester. Have always hated Chelsea with a passion for various reasons, and as someone who loves an underdog, was delighted when Leicester upset the established order to win the Premier League. No-one considers them one of the so-called 'Big Clubs', even though they have more claim to be considered so than at least one or two of the usual suspects, at least by virtue of their on-field performances over the last few years.
    Still loved it when they lost in 2001 though, obviously ?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@wwfcblue said:

Pleased for Leicester

It wasn’t offside before VAR but if those who watch this millionaire football regularly need it to add some excitement they are welcome to it. Maybe they could bring in the It’s a Knockout joker for next season.
    I’ll go back to watching football without VAR blighting the game and complain about awful refereeing on the pitch rather than awful refereeing from an office in Uxbridge

So good to see fans in the stadium though. Having had to miss a big Wembley win during this horrible pandemic I hope Leicester fans enjoy the day.

Why did you watch it?

• @peterparrotface said:

@wwfcblue said:

Pleased for Leicester

Why did you watch it?

I think the nostalgia of childhood FA Cup finals if you really want to know. The game was ok. It’s only VAR and justification of it that got me annoyed

• My take on the VAR decision

Let the assistant ref make a decision, even if game played on to see if goal scored. If he then flags for offside it’s offside, if he doesn’t the goal stands. Whatever he decides is not a clear and obvious error so his decision should stand rather than technology determining.

• edited May 2021

And on the FA cup final itself - it used to be about the only live match on TV in a season. Now it was just one of four on this day. Totally dilutes the importance of the competition in my view.

Glad Leicester won though.

• edited May 2021

@EwanHoosaami said:
    Wasn't clear and obvious. Would have stood in every other league below. Glad for Leicester but would still rather be discussing/moaning about the refereeing decisions for years after than put up with this VAR ?!

Not sure the clear and obvious thing never applied to offsides. It's either offside or not. The fact it's done on the most marginal lines is horrible, but that's the way it has been all season.

• Live match on TV of course.

Edit function not working on this phone

• @carrickblue said:
    And on the FA cup final itself - it used to be about the only live match on TV in a season. Now it was just one of four on this day. Totally dilutes the importance of the competition in my view.

Glad Leicester won though.

It used to end the season as well.
    Having league games after it was a bizarre call too.