Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• @LeedsBlue said:
    So it seems the Derby takeover is off...

Does that materially change anything??

With my conspiracy theory hat on maybe the potential buyer has heard that they have bad news on the way

• The question then arises - how bad? Relegation would be pretty bad.

• I think it's off as they've suddenly found out the the potential new owner doesn't have a pot to piss in

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    200 or so acquaintances as followers seems a look to me. ?. So maybe I qualify as one of your total nobodies @Malone. However I do not use Twitter or Facebook - evil platforms, not like the Gasroom.

I expect all bar the oddest characters are in the 100s of followers on twitters. Some people like to collect numbers.

• @Chris said:
    Seems like a well-written, sensible statement to me.

Would anyone have expected anything else from a lawyer that attempted to enter politics

• It's so bizarre that for the second season in a row we are spending this time of year waiting for a decision off the field.

• @Shev im not sure many of us are really. There is zero chance of what is happening at Derby with the EFL actually materially affecting us

• The only way it will change anything is that if they go into administration. Which I sincerely doubt will happen.
    Whilst I feel for football fans when their clubs are in the sh1t the stink has been right under their nose for a long time and the whole 32Red and Rooney situation was a massive red flag.
    At the end of the day cheating is cheating whether it be diving on the pitch or faking your accounts.

• Is Danny Senda still in jail for nicking that car?

• @bookertease said:
    @Shev im not sure many of us are really. There is zero chance of what is happening at Derby with the EFL actually materially affecting us

I'd put the odds a little higher (10%?) but not much better. Punishing them for this season would involve a heady mix of the EFL growing some teeth, member clubs like Middlesbrough saying "enough is enough" and putting some pressure on, and both Sheff Weds and Wycombe threatening to sue.

• Have we stayed up yet?

• I'd normally feel for the fans, but, in this instance if you go on the Derby forum I'd say about 80% of them think that they have done absolutely nothing wrong, havnt cheated at all and it's just the efl and other teams (Middlesbrough weirdly ?) Trying to stitch them up ! Deluded

• I’m 100% happy with where we are as a club, we approached the season as best we could within the rules and when the potential cheating was presented the club statement was pitched in exactly the right tone.
    If as expected the panel bottle the big decision we can look forward to a season in league one the like of which we haven’t seen in a long time with a truly competitive squad.
    If the EFL has finally drawn a line in the sand then it’s the perpetrators from those clubs that have to look to themselves not the fans who as always have to deal with a situation forced on them and then have to try and justify wrongdoing because it’s a club that they love .

• As I've said previously, those that Derby cheated were really the clubs in the 3 years ending June 2018. Hence Middlesbrough, for example, have a real gripe because Derby pipped them to a play-off spot in that period and then lost!
    Nevertheless, any thought that punishing Derby now is irrelevant should consider some of the following scenario - which would be against the rules of the competition as much as their breach of FFP in my view.

1) Let's award ourselves 4 points for a win and thus finish much higher up the league.
    or
    2) Let's collude with Swansea/Luton so we win either of those fixtures and thus finish above Derby.
    or
    3) Let's pay the ref/lino a bung so they actually get some of the marginal decisions in the early season games go our way.

Clearly they would all be seen as breaking the rules and heavy points/financial penalties would be applied (my guess this season too).
    I know I'm arguing the absurd, but quite frankly I didn't see the difference. The competition rules don't just apply to what happens for 90+mins on the football field each week, they also apply to such things as match fixing & FFP too.
    If the EFL don't uphold the rules of their competition then there really is no hope for football.

• @Twizz there isn’t a different, except perhaps in the public perception. Your last sentence hits the nail on the head.

@lordmelchester i think Derby’s meltdown is a really issue for the EFL. what is the future for them if they get relegated this season?

• On Derby Telegraph discussion page

“ The idea was for Alonso (player’s agent ) to bring players in on the cheap to get around FFP. “

Seems like to concept of “get around FPP” isn’t considered a bad thing. No wonder SOME DC fans feel they have done nothing wrong and don’t deserve any punishment by the EFL

• Unbelievable.

• Definitely has to be a chance they're going to be penalised this season.
    At first it looked a pipe dream.

• Interesting side note on the Derby scenario. I’m doing research on Sunderland’s p.o. game v.Lincoln and unearthed the punishment that was handed out to Swindon in 1990. They beat Sunderland in the p.o. final to win promotion to the old First Division, but a week later, after Swindon admitted breaches of regulations, promotion was awarded to Sunderland instead. Swindon were initially demoted to the Third Division, revised to the Second Division on appeal. A much harsher punishment than anything suggested so far for Derby’s alleged misdemeanours.

• The deal with a gambling company that obviously enabled Derby County to be rebranded Wayne Rooney’s Derby County stank. A player wearing the number 32 on his back as that is the brand is disgusting imho. Derby have long been a cesspool of, at best, pushing the legal and moral boundaries at worst a corrupt bunch of cheats.

• Derby still owe a few million to their ex manager Cocu and his staff i just can't see how they will survive, £60 Million in debt is a ridiculous number for a Championship side and the article in The Mail today has a breakdown of who they owe money to it's just crazy.

• The EFL won’t rush through any action, that is their way.
    Derby will more than likely have six points deducted commencing the start of next season.

• That would be pretty pathetic!

• Not what I would like but the EFL are never consistent or quick.

• @Malone said:
    Definitely has to be a chance they're going to be penalised this season.

I actually think there is zero chance now. If Derby were relegated they would have no chance of recovering financially. The league would not want to be responsible for there demise.

• The EFL applying agreed rules fairly cannot be responsible for any team’s demise. It is the management of the club that must accept such responsibility.

• @mooneyman said:

@Malone said:

I actually think there is zero chance now. If Derby were relegated they would have no chance of recovering financially. The league would not want to be responsible for there demise.

They did it to Bury. They won’t do it to Derby. The cheats are governing the cheats

• edited May 2021

At first it looked a pipe dream.> @mooneyman said:

@Malone said:

I actually think there is zero chance now. If Derby were relegated they would have no chance of recovering financially. The league would not want to be responsible for their demise.

That would be a scandalous reason!

I think it was @MindlessDrugHoover who came up with a great equivalence of what it'll be like if Derby get away with massive financial mis-dealings with either a tiny fine, or postponed points deductions.

• Given our luck with refereeing decisions this season I put the odds of the EFL deciding anything in our favour at 0.00001%. I'm sure that Derby being big and us being small will have more influence than anything else on their decision