Comments

• LX1LX1
    edited May 2021

Farnborough (H 1990) - first game
    Wimbledon
    Torquay
    Leicester
    PNE (Wembley 94)

I can't include Oxford as wasn't there but obvs is in otherwise. Citeh away biggest regret not being there. Could easily have Kidderminster (first visit to Wembley) and Liverpool

• Impossible question really but anyone who was at Selhurst Park that night and it not making a top five must have led a mighty fine Wycombe supporting life. So apart from Wimbledon away my others would be as follows:-

Colchester at home in the FA Cup mid 80’s.
    Think it was the first time I’d seen a side warm up on the pitch. For some reason made me think they were a big side but thankfully I avoided much of the trouble as we gave them a lesson

Sutton United FA Trophy Semi Final
    After a disappointing home leg the sight of Keith Scott warming up increased the excitement to a level where Sir Matt scoring twice didn’t seem that unusual.

Torquay away for the greatest escape.
    Just an incredible day when the celebration I thought I had gone for turned in to the celebration I had no reasonable hope to expect.

Leicester City in that cup match
    I am sure this game saw the only time Essandoh actually faced the goal we attacked in his brief stay with us. Funny how my mind still sees any highlights from that match from my view on the day rather than the TV view I have seen so many times. All the more remarkable due to the injury list we had

Honourable mention for the first London six a side night too. No idea what to expect but Chuck turned in a night of nights.

• I have spent hours thinking about this, and reading other great contributions made me realise that its not only winning games that make for a standout game. In chronological order.

1. Loosing at Griffin Park to Hendon in the Amateur cup. I thought I would never see my team at Wembley.

2. Away at Altrincham FA Trophy Semi Final. Finally seeing my team get to Wembley, despite one of the best players never to play for Wycombe, Ken McKenna playing for Alty.

3. London 5 asides at Wembley. An evening with no expectation of winning a game, yet basically a non league team just showed what pride and passion can achieve.

4. Selhurst Park v Wimbledon, ironic that Gareth was in the opposition, I like to think witnessing the Paul McCarthy spirit and our team ethic inspired him in some way.

5. The biggest demonstration of what makes Wycombe Wanderers my team, Wembley 2020 v a "big Team" from just down the M40.No fans, so a small gathering in my garden, TV outside, pissing with rain, to much beer but with the people around me that I care about most, a memory to treasure, after all I have seen my team at Wembley.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Wow.. tough question ! I've had a good think and basically come up with all the obvious ones that most people have tbh

Wimbledon away cup game .. had everything
    Leicester away cup game .. ditto
    PNE play off final
    Kidderminster trophy final
    One slightly different from me, away game against Slough in the Conference when we were smashing everyone, we took over the place and it was like a home game, and rammed, don't think Slough expected as many of us to turn up that did

Great shout - Slough home and away were special nights

• Hendon FA Amateur Cup S/F at Griffin Park 1972 - we lost 2-1, despite starting favourite. What made it so memorable, though, was car windscreen getting broken by a stone on the A4 on the way to the game. Father had to stop, knock out all the glass and we carried on. Unbelievably cold journey home with no windscreen and bitterly disappointed.

Altrincham, 2nd leg FAT S/F. Dancing on the pitch after the final whistle - we were going to Wembley, I'd been waiting since 1972 for this moment and I was going to enjoy it. It almost became a second home for a few years in the early 90's but this was to be our first trip.

Wimbledon FAC replay. Drama, excitement, tension - and that was just whether we'd ever get there so bad was the traffic. Unbelievable scenes at the end with fans & players celebrating. I shouted myself hoarse and didn't recover for 48hrs.

Leicester FAC - more drama, excitement, tension and some guy called Essandoh. This remains the only time I've ripped my shirt off and waved in above my head after a goal. Had to lay down at the final whistle to settle my blood pressure. So much better than the S/F at Villa Park which was so much an anti-climax.

Torquay. This was going to be the bookend to the first ever league game at Carlisle. I'd bought a Carlisle pin badge that day, which I've worn ever since, and thought I was completing the set when I purchase one at Torquay. We travelled in hope rather than expectation but some guy told us to BELIEVE. We did, the miracle happened and the rest as they say is history.

• @Fit2drop, didn't see your list until after I'd posted mine. Nearly included the London 5-a-sides too!

• Loved watching those five-a-sides on the tv.

• We had a sell out on a Tuesday night against Slough Town in the year that we went up, the whole place was buzzing. I think it was about 30-odd games into the season and Slough were giving us a run for our money at the top end of the table. Even though we had tickets, we were turned away at the terrace because it was already at capacity, we managed to convince someone manning one of the gates at the family stand to let us in so that we could stand behind the hoardings. I recall that we were down to 10-men and clinging on for much of the second half in an electric atmosphere. At the end of the game it felt like we had broken the back of the league and were heading up, and if I am not mistaken it marked the last competitive game between one of our oldest rivals. We still rolled out the Dambusters often over the next few years but that wonderfully witty terrace favourite seems to have fallen by the wayside too.

• Nice one @Ed_ . A rare visit. You should put your spoke in more often.

• Wimbledon away in the cup would definitely top my best game I didn't make list!
    Think @floyd nailed it earlier, simply saying it had everything.

Hard to think of a game with more to it.

• Choosing games I’ve seen

Torquay away- the great escape. Number one for the emotions that only a miracle can bring. We’d gone down to stay overnight fully expecting to be drowning sorrows. Half way there I realised I’d forgotten the tickets. After 15 minutes of Her Indoors doing her fruit she calmed down enough to phone Torquay who amazingly had two for sale. One match, one full monty steakhouse dinner and two bottles of claret later we’re hugging anyone in the street wearing a scrap of blue.

Promotion last season, watched at home with friends under ‘rule of six’. Less hugging and less to lose in defeat but still very very special.

Getting thumped by Norwich away. Memorable for overly officious stewarding about seating, excellent half time pies and being offered cheap beer at the end of half time as the bar staff had poured too many. “Quid a pint fellas, if you want to stay in here and finish a few off for us?” That evening some bloke in a pub telling us not to give up on Wycombe even though league 1 was clearly not our natural level.

Bean’s goal. Limbs.

Chester away 10th August 2004. Married in St Albans Registry office in the morning, after lunch we decided to drive pelters to Chester. Just made kickoff.

• Spurs away in the cup...what a match
    Chelsea at home in the league cup semi final with a full Adams Park
    Chesterfield away = promotion and the Dom Gape goal
    Bristol Rovers at home, defeat in the penultimate game of the season and relegation loomed
    Southend playoff final - Wycombe at Wembley, Sam Saunders injured in the first minute or so. Nearly won...

Highs and lows

• 1-0 win at Huddersfield in 1994 - day I became a Wycombe supporter for life!

Lincoln great escape 1999 - great finish to a great few weeks of excitement and being part of the travelling 3,000 was special!

Wimbledon Cup game 2001 - I can’t imagine there will ever be a game to top it for me!

Torquay 2014 - unbelievable day!

Plymouth away in the playoffs 2015 - had a really nice day down there beforehand and then special performance in a great atmosphere!

Honourable mentions for:
    Mansfield away in 2005, won 4-1 in the snow, less then 100 away fans there, freezing cold, still remember disbelief that game hadn’t been called off (only travelled from Midlands, couldn’t believe anyone from Wycombe hadn’t turned back).
    Also Ipswich away in 2019. Wasn’t sure about making the trip as quite heavily pregnant, but so glad I did and loved every minute aside from Jacobson’s penalty miss. Still my last Wycombe match 18 months on!

• Interesting that GA appears in the opposition team for two of the frequent top 5 standout games…

But it is really hard to narrow it down as there are so many things that are personal to me that lift the relatively routine to something important, memorable and special (or traumatising)

Wimbledon, Leicester, Preston - that was the only game since the M*t P****e disaster where at half time despite being behind I knew we would win - Altrincham SF away & Dagenham 1975 are probably at the top, but a few other less-personal games that would make my list of standout/memorable games that I’ve not seen mentioned

Wycombe 2 Monza 0 (1975) Loakes Park under lights was always pretty special but to me this was the greatest atmosphere I ever experienced there - an electric night with a trophy presentation at the end.

Wycombe 1 Kidderminster 0 (1989) this was the game where for the first time in years the great wycombe public fell back in love with the club. Thousands turned up to watch us against the team top of the table and we responded with one of the all-time great Wycombe performances.

Wycombe 5 Kettering 1 (1990) there were some amazing games at Adams Park that first season (Boston, Peterborough) but this was my standout. We were brilliant that day

Wycombe 4 Coventry 2 (1993) I know ultimately we lost the tie (we were 3-0 down after the first leg) but when Cousins scored to put us 4-0 ahead early in extra time I reached a plane of experience I have never quite managed to repeat

Chesterfield 0 Wycombe 5 (2015) away in the cup to a team a division higher than us at the time and we (Scotty) blew them away. A magic afternoon

• That Coventry game is a great shout

• An honourable mention for the 5-0 demolition of Redbridge Forest at the tail end of 91/92. The best I had ever seen us play until then, an incredibly one-sided game against a good side, which included Peter Taylor if I remember.

The fifth goal went in just after half-time and we all started to think we could get to double figures and match Col U's goal difference. The fierce pace of the game caught up with us and it was not to be. We wore all white that night and it really. dazzled under the lights, we looked invincible. Some Col U fans were there as well.

• @bookertease said:
    Interesting that GA appears in the opposition team for two of the frequent top 5 standout games…

But it is really hard to narrow it down as there are so many things that are personal to me that lift the relatively routine to something important, memorable and special (or traumatising)

Wimbledon, Leicester, Preston - that was the only game since the M*t P****e disaster where at half time despite being behind I knew we would win - Altrincham SF away & Dagenham 1975 are probably at the top, but a few other less-personal games that would make my list of standout/memorable games that I’ve not seen mentioned

Wycombe 2 Monza 0 (1975) Loakes Park under lights was always pretty special but to me this was the greatest atmosphere I ever experienced there - an electric night with a trophy presentation at the end.

Wycombe 1 Kidderminster 0 (1989) this was the game where for the first time in years the great wycombe public fell back in love with the club. Thousands turned up to watch us against the team top of the table and we responded with one of the all-time great Wycombe performances.

Wycombe 5 Kettering 1 (1990) there were some amazing games at Adams Park that first season (Boston, Peterborough) but this was my standout. We were brilliant that day

Wycombe 4 Coventry 2 (1993) I know ultimately we lost the tie (we were 3-0 down after the first leg) but when Cousins scored to put us 4-0 ahead early in extra time I reached a plane of experience I have never quite managed to repeat

Chesterfield 0 Wycombe 5 (2015) away in the cup to a team a division higher than us at the time and we (Scotty) blew them away. A magic afternoon

The Chesterfield FA Cup match is one of my favourites too! I'd never felt that high and optimistic about the future after a Wycombe away match that I'd attended. My only other visit was the Gape promotion game, so I think Chesterfield is a bit of a lucky charm for me!

• Wimbledon - home and away 2001 Cups - including them as one, as after all it was only one tie! After the home draw I didn't think it could get eclipsed but what an evening. Jumping off the bus and running the last mile to the ground. Playing 60 with 10 men and not knowing if we would go out due to having one less man to take penalties, no-one around us knew the rules. We thought it was stupid but you always worry!

To be fair that whole Cup Run - 6 Ties & a Semi-Final should be allowed in as one event...

Lincoln away to stay up in 1999. Unbelievable scenes.

Spurs 4 - 3 Wycombe. Just that feeling when Thompson put us 3-2 up and also that feeling when their 4th went in. Highs and lows of football.

Torquay away. Probably the most important game in our recent history. The game was almost a on event, the transistor radios and phone calls were what mattered that day. All week, I'm going, I'm not going, knowing full well I was going.

Preston 2 - 4 Wycombe at Wembley.

Honorable mentions, there are so many:

QPR away when we lost 4-3 and the ref sent off Senda and Jocky.

Oxford 1 - 2 Wycombe - Keith Ryan 90th minute winner at The Manor Ground, heavy rain. Rangers vs Celtic playing a better game in the park behind and my last visit to the Manor Ground.

Grimsby 0 - 1 Wycombe - Friday night 2005, not many of us there and Kevin Betsy ran rings around them all evening. Bloomfield started.

Mansfield 1 - 4 Wycombe - how that game ever got played but Gus Uhlenbeek scoring was phenomenal.

Wycombe 4 - 3 Carlisle. Beany scoring and the importance of turning that around for promotion.

Fulham 1 - 2 Wycombe - Carling Cup. What a great atmosphere and performance.

Chesterfield away for promotion. Villa Cup game 3-8. Brentford being destroyed by Akinde but us only getting a 3-3 draw.

• @Commoner Great shout on the Fulham, Oxford and Lincoln games.

• In no particular order of games I've attended...

1) Wycombe 4-1 Runcorn (1993 FA Trophy Final) - My first game and a perfect way to sign off from non-league football with an utterly dominant display

2) Wycombe 4-2 Preston (1994 Div 3 play-off final) - A game for the ages, the spine of the Conference double side with a few additions (most notably Super Simon Garner) gave the erstwhile invincibles a football lesson.

3) Wycombe 3-4 West Brom AET (1999/00 League Cup 2nd round 2nd leg) - I don't think this ding-dong battle with a strong side in the league above has been mentioned yet, Dave Carroll's outstanding goal to take it to extra time one of his finest. In the end stand-in 'keeper Mark Osbourne's inexperience told, though there was enormous pride from all the fans present about how we played, battled and never gave up. The sort of performance that summed up the beginning of Sanchez's reign when there was real hope he could be the one to pick up the baton O'Neill had left.

4) Wimbledon 2 - 2 Wycombe (7-8 pens) (2000/01 FA Cup 5th Round replay) - No introduction needed, one of the most dramatic and absorbing matches Wycombe had ever played in, and ever will. The sheer emotional rollercoaster of the evening will stay with all who were there (even if the amount of the game seen varied wildly due to traffic).

5) Lincoln 0 - 1 Wycombe (1998/99 Div 2) - After being pretty much condemned to certain relegation all season, the significance and memorability of the game is more about what went before as much as the dramatic late winner from Paul Emblen during a niggly, nervy game with few moments of any quality. We had played much of the season looking like a team that lacked that spark to play to our potential, though when Sanchez came in the team quickly gelled, and with an incredible run of form won crucial match after crucial match to set up a final winner takes all match against Lincoln; The rest is history.

There are plenty of hugely memorable games I've attended since, but those stand out in my memory most, maybe because they were at the start of my love affair with the Wanderers.

• Don't think it's quite top five but the Huddersfield home game in 94 was exceptional.

1-0 down and down to ten men against one of the best sides in the division (they would go on to win the play offs), the crowd roared us back into the game and we won it 2-1 late on with a goal from Simon Garner.

An absolutely brilliant atmosphere that day

• @Ed_ said:
    We still rolled out the Dambusters often over the next few years but that wonderfully witty terrace favourite seems to have fallen by the wayside too.

It still gets the odd airing now and then from those around at the time, though the kids of today don't particularly get it for some reason.

• @eric_plant said:
    Don't think it's quite top five but the Huddersfield home game in 94 was exceptional.

1-0 down and down to ten men against one of the best sides in the division (they would go on to win the play offs), the crowd roared us back into the game and we won it 2-1 late on with a goal from Simon Garner.

As someone with an absolutely shocking memory, this one is so firmly lodged in my brain that I can still almost feel like I'm there. Everything and everyone stopped still, assuming the whistle had blown for a foul, except Garner who casually stroked the ball past an apoplectic keeper for that winner. I remember the police holding back groups of raging Town fans down Hillbottom Road.

The only other game that has such a lasting and vivid place in my memory is the playoff away at Carlisle.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:

@Ed_ said:
    We still rolled out the Dambusters often over the next few years but that wonderfully witty terrace favourite seems to have fallen by the wayside too.

It still gets the odd airing now and then from those around at the time, though the kids of today don't particularly get it for some reason.

The kids need learnin’

• @eric_plant said:
    Don't think it's quite top five but the Huddersfield home game in 94 was exceptional.

Great reminder - an absolute classic game of football between two excellent sides. The Terriers had some serious talent in that side, including Ronnie Jepson. Was that the game where Warnock had a press meltdown afterwards about St Martin? Seem to remember it being one of the best displays by a visiting keeper I could remember at the time.

• @eric_plant said:

What a game that was, we've been so lucky down the years.

I did look through the results on the excellent COTN from 1992 to 2000 to try and jog the old grey matter. There was a few that peaked some interest but being a teenager through that period I just cannot seem to remember too many of them!

I do remember playing Cardiff away at Ninian Park on a Friday night, whilst studying down there, that was a cracking atmosphere and not helped by fearing for my life as I made my way on the train back up the Valleys to Treforest on my own! Think we lost 2-1.

• Cardiff on a Friday night was a 2-2 draw. And quite hostile if i remember.

• Yes, 2-2 - just looked it up. I think that late equaliser by Cardiff actually settled my nerves a little for the journey home!

• Couple more to add to the list that I don’t think have been mentioned

Carlisle 2 Wycombe 2 (1993) memorable in so many ways

Oxford 0 Wycombe 2 (1994) a near top of the table clash around Christmas. Pretty much a sell out (I could only get tickets in with Oxford fans) and a typical MON inspired performance

• @ReadingMarginalista said:

@ReadingMarginalista - ISWYDT, heavenly choice of words.

@micra - thanks for saying hi, it's been nice to put in a brief visit.