Skip to content

Worst game you have seen

Will never forget during a dark period of my life driving to Stockport with a stinking hangover and watching us lose 6 nil in pouring rain.

Told myself at the time 'it's days like this that make the good times sweeter.'

When Joe's penalty hit the back of the net at Wembley, cumulative days like that enhanced the feeling of extreme euphoria

Comments

• Met Police, enough said.... nothing will ever get worse than that... ever

• Nowhere near a real contender but I brought my class to watch us v Mansfield in, I think, the L2 promotion season a few years back. The dullest 0-0 of the season. Aimless hoofball throughout with barely a chance worthy of the name. Was v. disappointed having been showing them highlights on Monday mornings for a good while beforehand. They had fun among the grown-ups on the terrace, mind, and we all went to Bounce, or whatever the trampolining place on the hill is called, afterwards, so good time had by all in the end.

Terrible game, though.

• The Peter Taylor promotion winning game even beats that horrible Met Police afternoon for me.

Third place goes to Hyde Utd away in the Fa Trophy quarter final. First depressing watch of a match on a plastic pitch.

• 0-0 at home to Yeovil 4 or 5 seasons back... took a friend along with me and he hasn't been since.

• Runcorn away. Can't remember the year. Can barely remember the era but it would have been early nineties I guess. I don't think Runcorn could ever be described as quaint or anything positive really but I don't think I have ever got so wet with horizontal rain for the whole game and a performance as grim as the weather and surrounding.
    Just miserable

• That 2-1 defeat at home to Brizzle Rovers that at the time seemed to consign us to non league and financial oblivion. Rovers were terrible, we were somehow worse, the ref had a shocker, spent half the second half waiting for players to have their heads strapped up, late winner for Rovers, their gimp fans on the pitch and the long, miserable walk back down Hillbottom Road. Of course, we all know what came next.

• That last Gary Waddock game v Wimbledon is up there.

• Most games when Alan Smith was here.

• That Stockport game still gives me nightmares.

My dad tried to walk out at 4-0, did go at 5-0, then they scored a 6th as we were leaving.

• At least there was some decent gallows humour at Stockport that afternoon: from "we're going to win 4-3", to "we're going to win 6-5" and finally "if you'd settle for a draw clap your hands".

• The Fleetwood away game a week before the rovers game. Long old journey, early red card for them and they still cruised to a comfortable victory without Wycombe threatening the goal. The closest we came to scoring was the drummer pleading with the Fleetwood keeper to score an own goal.

Probably the game it went from "we should be just about alright" to "shit, we're in real trouble here"

• edited May 2021

The 2-4 at home to Morecambe in 2018 was pretty bad, especially as it felt like it might threaten our automatic promotion chances at the time. It came off the back of a run of seven wins in eight as well, so it almost made me believe in bogey teams.

• 6-0 Stockport away is right up there but I'd have to plum for Boston United at home on a Tuesday night, that was 0-0. They had three under 16s in the squad from memory and we were shocking.

• The 2-0 loss to MK Dons last season sticks in my mind as probably the worst away performance I've watched. Even worse than the 4-0 Sunderland game a few weeks before. Anyone who was there might testify something similar. I can't remember us creating a chance or having a shot all game. Crazy that we were promoted a few months later

• I'm going to throw in 0-0 away at Lincoln in the League 2 'promotion at Chesterfield' year.

Pragmatism took over as we went there determined not to lose, and thus employing our disruptive tactics from the off. Unfortunately, our opponents were a carbon copy of ourselves. It was Akinfenwa vs Rhead. The statistics for 'ball in play' were shocking (I'm sure @ReturnToSenda would be able to corroborate). Statistics for 'ball in the air' if any such thing existed, would have been equally hideous. It was a horrible, horrible game, the kind of match some of our detractors would claim to be the perfect example of 'anti-football'. Good job there were precious few neutrals there. The only time any skill was visible from either side was when Paris tried some jinky runs later in the game, but it was so compact and tight, that nothing at all flourished that night.

And yet, when all was said and done, we got the point we came for. And with a full-house partisan crowd, it wasn't without atmosphere. That match was, however, quickly forgotten as we marched on to glory and the rest, as they say, is history!

• @WanderingDays said:
    The 2-0 loss to MK Dons last season sticks in my mind as probably the worst away performance I've watched. Even worse than the 4-0 Sunderland game a few weeks before. Anyone who was there might testify something similar. I can't remember us creating a chance or having a shot all game. Crazy that we were promoted a few months later

Oh god, that was horrific.

• Losing 2-0 at home to Rushden in the 03/04 season. It was around Christmas/New Years time, but at that point I couldn’t wait for the season to be over.

To 5-2 home defeat to Oldham was probably worse (didn’t they score after about 20 seconds?) but at least we knew Sanchez had to go after that performance.

• edited May 2021

@LeedsBlue said:
    I'm going to throw in 0-0 away at Lincoln in the League 2 'promotion at Chesterfield' year.

Pragmatism took over as we went there determined not to lose, and thus employing our disruptive tactics from the off. Unfortunately, our opponents were a carbon copy of ourselves. It was Akinfenwa vs Rhead. The statistics for 'ball in play' were shocking (I'm sure @ReturnToSenda would be able to corroborate). Statistics for 'ball in the air' if any such thing existed, would have been equally hideous. It was a horrible, horrible game, the kind of match some of our detractors would claim to be the perfect example of 'anti-football'. Good job there were precious few neutrals there. The only time any skill was visible from either side was when Paris tried some jinky runs later in the game, but it was so compact and tight, that nothing at all flourished that night.

And yet, when all was said and done, we got the point we came for. And with a full-house partisan crowd, it wasn't without atmosphere. That match was, however, quickly forgotten as we marched on to glory and the rest, as they say, is history!

That Lincoln game will actually always be one of my favourites. It wasn't boring, there were plenty of chances, disallowed goals, and a great atmosphere. I remember our starting XI was the oldest I've ever seen (average 32.2) - actually the oldest line-up of any team in League Two ever. Ainsworth very much went for experience in those big away games at Lincoln and Notts County

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spielbericht/aufstellung/spielbericht/2875771
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-two/durchschnittsalter/wettbewerb/GB4/saison_id/gesamt

• 3 nil defeat at Kettering in 1987, we were slowly chasing shadows all afternoon. New signing Brian Greenaway made his debut, and he looked more inept than most, a trait the continued in his short WWFC career. It was just before Christmas and I questioned my sanity to as why I made the effort to Rockingham Rd that afternoon, when so many of the players on show, looked like they would rather have been Xmas shopping.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    I'm going to throw in 0-0 away at Lincoln in the League 2 'promotion at Chesterfield' year.

Whilst agreeing with everything you said about the quality of ‘football’ on show I really enjoyed it! Not remotely pretty to look at but a hard-fought, deserved point against a team, from what I remember, on the up at the time

• @LX1 said:
    Will never forget during a dark period of my life driving to Stockport with a stinking hangover and watching us lose 6 nil in pouring rain.

Told myself at the time 'it's days like this that make the good times sweeter.'

When Joe's penalty hit the back of the net at Wembley, cumulative days like that enhanced the feeling of extreme euphoria

I remember this game, was my birthday that weekend so went on the Friday, had a mad night and was rough for the game. Made it home and went straight to bed and got up for the Mayweather v Hatton in the early hours of sunday morning.

• @floyd said:
    Losing 2-0 at home to Rushden in the 03/04 season. It was around Christmas/New Years time, but at that point I couldn’t wait for the season to be over.

To 5-2 home defeat to Oldham was probably worse (didn’t they score after about 20 seconds?) but at least we knew Sanchez had to go after that performance.

Adams dropped Simpson and Currie didn't he?

• @eric_plant said:

@floyd said:
    Losing 2-0 at home to Rushden in the 03/04 season. It was around Christmas/New Years time, but at that point I couldn’t wait for the season to be over.

Adams dropped Simpson and Currie didn't he?

I think that was the that game. To be fair to Adams he probably could have dropped all of them.

• @bookertease Yes, they were (and seemingly still are) about a year behind us in their development. I said it was not without atmosphere and I was delighted we got our point, so from that perspective it was great. And more importantly, it helped us to promotion... But the thread was about "worst games" and because of the "not a clash of styles" it was really up there in terms of lack of quality, as you say. A 'difficult watch' for the purist, if ever there was one.

I guess I threw it in there for discussion because Met Police would've been just too easy to select! Or any number of hefty defeats over the years...

@WanderingDays interesting you mention the Notts Co draw, just a matter of a week or two earlier. I do remember enjoying that one. I think it was the massive support that day! Regarding age, Bayo and CMS and Saunders of course didn't last the 90 but it was noticeable (and a successful tactic) that he packed the side with experience to get us over the line that season, and in those big games especially.

• @eric_plant said:
    That last Gary Waddock game v Wimbledon is up there.

I'd put him in the bracket of managers who did well for a bit, decent enough guy, but I remember fuming after that game and being delighted to hear of his sacking on the way home, few recollections of the actual game but remember being pretty annoyed after.

• @LeedsBlue said:

I only listened to that game and don't remember any stats for that, but it wouldn't surprise me!

• Actually would it be unreasonable to include:
    Wycombe 1 Notts County 2 (2009) in my list of all-time worst games.

I literally shudder in memory of watching that game. I know we ‘won’ promotion at the end of it but if I was ever offered the chance to wipe 90 odd minutes from my memory that would pretty much be top of my list

• Someone else mentioned that one before @bookertease and it absolutely deserves a place in this thread. Soul destroying stuff. It's funny how that match was almost the exact opposite in every way, of our final game this season - a thoroughly depressing promotion after a lifeless defeat, compared to a relegation full of pride after a truly beautiful win.

• As a spectacle (rather than a poor performance from us) I recall a 0-0 at Adams Park v Carlisle in 2010. Ainsworth was suspended and stood behind the goal with the fans but the game itself was devoid of anything. It was like the Birmingham home game last season although at least that had a red card and two great saves from Allsop.

I also recall a story from another fan about THAT 6-0 drubbing at Stockport. After the game they got back to the car to discover a window smashed and the radio gone. They had to hang around for the police then drive home late with no radio in a freezing car with no window. Arrived back the next morning and missed the Rick Hatton v Floyd Mayweather fight. I can't imagine a worse afternoon/evening/night than that.