Skip to content

What Are Your 5 Standout Games?

The personal standouts for you as a Wycombe fan. Good or bad for whatever reason.

In no particular order ....

Wycombe 5-1 Runcorn - what a night, just felt like the beginning of a new era / turning point in our history as a club.

Wycombe 4-0 Witton Albion - literally the most dejected I have EVER felt as a Wycombe fan.

Lincoln 0-1 Wycombe - never been so nervous watching Wycombe in my life, it was kind of like a play off final in a way. I was the guy by the floodlight near the tea bar during the whole first half, I couldn’t bare to watch for nerves and kept turning away from the pitch eating hotdogs. Cost me a fortune.

Wycombe 2-1 Oxford, Play Off Final - needs no explanation

Wimbledon 2-2 Wycombe - bomb scare / train station evacuation or something? Buggered up all the traffic everywhere. Couldn’t park, nightmare, so thought sod it and my car full agreed to park on double yellows and split the fine! Got away with it, missed the first 40 mins and probably still the best £15/£20 I have ever spent. Ever!

Love to hear some other peoples standout games.....

Comments

• This is tough, so far I've got 12 games and I've not even finished compiling the list!
    I feel the need for a few more Gasroom identities

• @Twizz said:
    This is tough, so far I've got 12 games and I've not even finished compiling the list!
    I feel the need for a few more Gasroom identities

Have to admit, Spurs away, Man City away, the Cambridge debut in what’s now is league 1, Torquay and a couple from this season were all close! Not to mention Chelsea and Liverpool!!

• edited May 2021

You may be younger than me @username123 - what lucky person you are!

"The best is yet to come"

• @Twizz said:
    You may be younger than me @username123 - what lucky person you are!

"The best is yet to come"

The games before I watched would be great to hear about!

• I am a relative newcomer in wycombe fan terms, and I am missing out the final last year because obviously wasn't there. Seems I remember away games better than home games.

Would go for:
    3-1 away at Bury in 2011
    3-2 away at Plymouth in the playoff semi final
    4-3 at home against Carlisle (Beanie et al)
    2-2 away at Gillingham in 2018 in the freezing rain (coldest I have ever been)
    2-1 away at Oxford 2014 (Hylton's penalty may still be rising)

Honorable mention 4-0 loss away at Chesterfield in 2012. Needed to beat the bottom team in the league to stay above the relegation zone. I drove there on my own missing out on a big opportunity to do something else that day. Pissed it down from start to finish. Got a parking ticket. Drive home was a low point.

• Sorry, scratch that. I somehow forgot Torquay away which would make it into a top 5 all time (not just Wycombe related) days list

• So many. So many

Wimbledon away FA Cup. Just stupid, just stupid
    Lincoln 0-1. What? We stayed up. But, but, but, but...
    Leicester 1-2 Roy of the Rovers
    Carlisle 4-3. I was there when Beany scored
    Carlisle 0-2. Play off first leg. The locals aren't as friendly as they were in August.
    Man Citeh 1-2. The coach behind looks a bit drafty

give me half an hour and I'll change my mind

• Wimbledon/Leicester in the FA Cup are in there along with Torquay away.

Tough but probably have to go for Bury away in 2011 and Chelsea at home in the League Cup.

Oxford play off final would obviously have been there if fans were present.

• Not necessarily the best games but some of my most memorable are

QPR 4 - 3 Wycombe
    Wycombe 4 - 5 Macclesfield
    Bury 1 - 3 Wycombe
    Wycombe 1 - 1 Southend
    Tottenham 4 - 3 Wycombe

I don’t know what it says that four of these are defeats!

Honourable mentions to Cambridge 2 - 0 Wycombe, and three games that I’m sure would be on the list if I had been there: Wimbledon 2 - 2 Wycombe, Torquay 0 - 3 Wycombe and Wycombe 2 - 1 Oxford.

But it’s remarkable that there are so many choose from. I’m sure fans of all clubs say this but really we are lucky to support Wycombe.

• Torquay away survival.
    Liverpool Fa Cup semi.
    Leicester Fa Cup quarter
    Charlton away league Cup quarter
    Chesterfield away promotion
    Chelsea home league Cup semi

OK that's 6 and just games I've been at.

• edited May 2021

Altrincham away FA trophy semi-final 91
    Leicester away FA cup 1/4 final
    Wimbledon away FA cup
    The miracle of Torquay
    Kidderminster away, FA trophy 1/4 final 1982

• edited May 2021

Leicester (a) 2001
    Wimbledon (a) 2001
    Preston (a) 1993
    West Brom (h) 1992
    Fulham (a) 1994

Like someone else said, ask me tomorrow and it's a different selection. We're so lucky at Wycombe to have had so many amazing memories

In recent years I am very fond of that 3-1 win at Kenilworth Rd a few seasons ago, amongst many others

• Games I've been at.....

League....

Wycombe 1-0 Man city
    Lincoln 0-1 Wycombe
    Wycombe 5-3 Brentford
    Wycombe 4-3 Carlisle
    Wycombe 3-2 Doncaster

Cup....

Wycombe 2-1 wolves
    Wycombe 1-2 Liverpool
    Wycombe 3-4 Birmingham
    Wycombe 2-2 Fulham
    Wycombe 1-1 Chelsea

• Wimbledon in the cup
    Leicester in the cup
    Torquay away (staying up)
    Chesterfield away (going up)
    Lincoln away (staying up)

I expect if I gave it more thought this list would change a lot but these games have/will stick in the memory for a long time.

Isn’t it odd that the Liverpool game often gets put behind the two games in the previous rounds. Perhaps it’s simply because we lost.

• Wimbledon away (FA cup 2001)
    Leicester away (FA cup 2001)
    Tourquay away
    Chesterfield away
    Carlisle (4-3, Bean winner)

The Carlisle game partly because of the glorious comeback and last minute winner, but also because we beat Luton, Crewe and a few others in exciting games in and around the same time. That period around Feb time in that season really set the tone and created the platform for us to go up.

• Most of the great ones already mentioned, and narrowing it down to just 5 is impossible but one magical day to add would be the 4-0 win at Sutton in the Trophy semi final. Trailing from the home leg, injury worries, taking over Gander Green Lane with a sea of light and dark blue and an absolute annihilation on the pitch.

• For me as another relative newcomer (and only considering matches I've been to, hence no Torquay or Carlisle). In no particular order:

Southend playoff final
    Spurs 4-3 loss
    Chesterfield promotion
    The 2-0 win at Southend that basically averted relegation in 2018-19
    The 3-2 win at Luton in the League 2 promotion season

• 3-2! Of course. I said 3-1 earlier, which wouldn't have made Scott Brown's late wonder saves nearly as exciting.

And of course that was the season of the 3-2 win

• I have an awful memory for results, scorers and line ups but,

Shrewsbury. The best pre match cod and chips with a pint I can remember although the toilets were medieval with no roof. I remember it was raining so much I saw a toilet block floating serenely around my shoe and towards the freedom of the Severn.

Brentford. Pub on each corner was there ever a better place for football.

Maine road coach driver “Whatever you do don’t antagonise the locals” and then drives slowly past a pub full of said locals who didn’t need much more antagonism.

Millwall. An underlying feeling of threat a bit like Green Street meets Mad Max.

Middlesbrough. Industrial Chemical wasteland full of chimneys billowing pollution into the sky it was raining as well happy days .

• Brilliant question.

Wycombe Wanderers v PNE, play-off final 1994
    In my early days supporting Wycombe i assumed we played at Wembley annually, (which was true in my early days supporting Wycombe) i remember details from this game clearer than things i did last week.

Macclesfield v Wycombe Wanderers, Division 2/League 1 98/99
    The only away game i went to just with my much missed paternal grandfather. Family, sunshine, open terrace, tap ins and wonder goals. can't ask for much more.

Manchester City v Wycombe Wanderers Division 2/League 1 98/99
    Remember my dad telling me on the way out to 'zip your coat up and keep your head down.' What a day, worth every second of the walk back thru Moss Side

Wimbledon v Wycombe Wanderers, FA Cup 4th Round replay, 00/01
    No game has ever had everything. Except this one.

Wycombe Wanderers v Oxford United, play-off final 2020
    We've never had it so good.

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    Maine road coach driver “Whatever you do don’t antagonise the locals” and then drives slowly past a pub full of said locals who didn’t need much more antagonism.

Remember it well. Quite the victory parade through the city that was.

• Most games have been mentioned now.
    One other for the mix - Runcorn at Wembley in the second Trophy win. We had just cruised promotion to the football league and now won a Wembley final - 20,000 or so Wyc supporters, virtually none from opposition, party in the sun. I even gave Ken McKenna a little clap on his lap of honour.

• edited May 2021

What are the five standout games you have actually attended Dev (doesn't have to be Wycombe)?

• In my last year as a Student in the 1980s I lived in the street which led down to the Kippax. Match days were eye openers to be sure. One of my housemates was a Pompey supporter who after a match ended up being walked by police to the away coaches and forced to get on. To be honest we were all pleased he had not been spotted coming into our house from the away end!!! :smile:

• edited May 2021

Too many to mention and as others have said it probably changes every day. Keith Searle (if I remember correctly) scoring a last minute winner in the last game of the season against Dagenham (without Redbridge in those days) to win the league. Early 70s? That's got to up there.

• @BlueBoy said:

@MorrisItal_ said:

Our coach was near the front of the victory procession. At some point we passed a pub and waved to the Citeh fans who were delighted for our plucky team. Apologies to the following coaches who may have bore the brunt of our exuberance

• Wow.. tough question ! I've had a good think and basically come up with all the obvious ones that most people have tbh

Wimbledon away cup game .. had everything
    Leicester away cup game .. ditto
    PNE play off final
    Kidderminster trophy final
    One slightly different from me, away game against Slough in the Conference when we were smashing everyone, we took over the place and it was like a home game, and rammed, don't think Slough expected as many of us to turn up that did

• Bournemouth away, FA Cup 74-75. Unbelievable excitement, to be under the cosh for so long but still win. I can still see the away terrace jumping and dancing uncontrollably when we scored the winner, and the silly Police Sergeant who tried to stop us!

Dagenham home, 74-75. Memorable for the extreme contrast in emotions. For so long it looked as though we would miss out on the Isthmian League title, miserable soaked fans on the terrace. I can still see Keith Searle, five minutes from time, receiving the ball from a Steve Perrin throw-in, one bounce and lashing the ball into the far corner. Unbridled joy on the terrace.

Carlisle away, 93-94, opening league game. Not that enjoyable a day, too nervous for that, but hugely significant and memorable. Completely mentally drained at the end of it.

Fulham away, Autoglass 93-94. Craven Cottage has always been one of my favourite grounds and this was a magical, dramatic evening in front of a big crowd. "Bonnie" Langford's finest hour.

Wimbledon away, 00-01 FA Cup. What hasn't been said about this most dramatic match ever?

Lots of others, Alty 90-91 FAT in particular, but these stick in the memory.

• In no particular order..

Wimbledon away, FA cup.
    Lincoln Away, needed to win to stay up.
    Sutton Away, FA trophy
    Carlisle home Marcus bean Goal + Limbs
    Chesterfield Away Promotion game.

Special mentions.. Afc Telford Away, The 3 Wembley games, Leicester semi final and finally Met Police at home 3-1 loss.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@BlueBoy said:

@MorrisItal_ said:

Our coach was near the front of the victory procession. At some point we passed a pub and waved to the Citeh fans who were delighted for our plucky team. Apologies to the following coaches who may have bore the brunt of our exuberance

I wondered why they were so upset however more fool them, after they pelted our coach with their beer bottles and chairs they had nothing to drink and nowhere to sit.