Skip to content

Ainsworth holds contract talks - Players depart and extend

Ryan Allsop, Cameron Yates, Giles Phillips, Darius Charles and Andron Georgiou will not be renewed.

Curtis Anderson, Anis Mehmeti and Malachi Linton extended for a further year, and James Clark for six months.

Discussions are ongoing relating to the futures of other players, including Adebayo Akinfenwa, whose contract expires this summer.

https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2021/may/ainsworth-holds-contract-talks/

Comments

• Genuine sadness that we never got a chance to give Darius and Rocky the send-offs they deserved. Hopefully there'll be an opportunity next season in some form.

• No real surprises but Allsop has been desperately unlucky. But for getting injured at the wrong moment, likelihood is he as number one would have been offered the GK contract.
    He has been a fine servant to WW and I certainly wish him all the best for his future career. Would be nice if he has a blinder next time at AP only undone by a last minute Mehmeti 30 yard curling worldie match winner.

• I know it was inevitable, but I’m quite sad Darius is leaving.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Genuine sadness that we never got a chance to give Darius and Rocky the send-offs they deserved. Hopefully there'll be an opportunity next season in some form.

Absolutely, I'm not worried about the future or too interested in the speculation, the squad will form over the summer, sure there were difficult discussions alongside great prospects to hopefully come in, big thing today is to thank these players for their contributions, Rocky has some wonderful saves and contributions to his credit and could well still be first choice but for Stockos ressurgence. Darius's story is nothing short of miraculous and he was magnificent at times and is clearly a great guy.
    Wish them both massive success for the future wherever that may lie.

• Giles Phillips is a strange one - didn't feature much when he was in loan with us in League One, signed on a permanent after we got promoted (but quite late on), didn't feature at all and spent most of the season on loan much further down the pyramid, now released. I guess that's football for you. Hope he lands on his feet.

• We are crowd funding for a statue for Darius I assume

• Very much agree with the sentiments expressed in your post above @StrongestTeam.

• Rocky will easily sign for someone else and if anyone has any sense so will Darius they both have my respect and thanks for what they’ve done for the club.
    Spare a moment for the younger guys released Cameron, Giles and Andron let’s hope someone picks them up

• Totally agree @Morris_Ital

• @micra said:
    @MorrisItal_ sorry ?

No problem @micra i go by either it’s my own stupid fault I’ve got two usernames

• Looking at Bayo’s tweet on his birthday, particularly the hashtag #mybodyisnsayingdifferent suggests he’s playing days maybe over.

Given the impact he has had, I would be gutted if he does and he doesn’t get a send off he deserves.

Now, I didn’t think in a million years I would have said that on the day he signed. Talk about a turn around.

• Rocky’s release shows it’s an even crueller game for keepers. Playing well, get injured, fantastic keeper waiting in the wings, end of club career.

It’s brutal and I wish the lad all the best in finding a new club.

• Can we crowdfund a massive tifo of this?

• I guess it might be difficult logistically to organise, especially for those going to new clubs but in these unusual circumstances, it would be lovely if the club could organise a pre kick off parade of these players before a game next season to get the applause they deserve.

• edited May 2021

I think the club should organise a minute applause, if you ever attend a game Mr DevC.
    Now that would be a logistical challenge !!

• I doubt Allsopp will have a problem getting a new berth. Only worry for me (and it is slight) is the lack of an experienced keeper to push the Number One. Stocko has admitted he had to raise his game to get in the starting 11 because of the way Rocky was playing...and before Stocko arrived some were questioning Rocky and the lack of a back-up.

• @aloysius said:
    Giles Phillips is a strange one - didn't feature much when he was in loan with us in League One, signed on a permanent after we got promoted (but quite late on), didn't feature at all and spent most of the season on loan much further down the pyramid, now released. I guess that's football for you. Hope he lands on his feet.

An exceptionally strange one. Often looked ropey in a division below, so to sign him as a development player not getting near the team and then release him made little sense at all.

• @arnos_grove said:
    Rocky’s release shows it’s an even crueller game for keepers. Playing well, get injured, fantastic keeper waiting in the wings, end of club career.

It’s brutal and I wish the lad all the best in finding a new club.

Unfortunate how it panned out. Even if took Stockdale a lot longer than we all thought it'd take him to emerge first choice.

Reminds me a bit of CMS in good form. Had a superb game one week, rested the next and then never got a look in as Samuel emerged.

• Very sad to see Ryan and Darius leave. Ryan had a brilliant season before his injury and should count himself unlucky. My guess is Ainsworth will go with Stockdale and Anderson for the season and not sign anyone else.

Darius had a torrid 18/19 season and his career looked over before it had really started with us. In August 19 I started to read his Insta page and was so humbled by his thoughts that I persuaded myself to sponsor him for the 19/20 season, even though I doubted he would play much. What a story that turned out to be! Thanks Darius.

We never really got much of an opportunity to see much of the other players and they leave with my best wishes.

No mention of Pattison who is out of contract??

Will Adebayo hang up his boots? I guess so but would love to see him here in a mentor/coaching role with the B team or First team. What a signing and certainly not a gimmick, as we first all thought.

Great to see Anis on another year.

Would love to see Dennis and Admiral signed up over the summer. Josh maybe a step to far but Gareth always pulls one out the bag!

We now have 21 in the squad, including Anderson, Forino-Joseph and Linton who will not be Under 21 next season. Anis and Clarke remain Under 21

• If Stockdale was injured/ill I believe we could sign an experienced ‘keeper on an emergency loan but maybe @DevC or his ghost writer ( @EwanHoosaami ?) could confirm.

• Always a difficult time of year having to let players go. Hope they all manage to secure contracts with new clubs soon but I suspect for some it will be difficult with reduced finances, reduced squads and the sheer number of players out of contract.Fingers crossed.

• @Malone said:

@aloysius said:
    Giles Phillips is a strange one - didn't feature much when he was in loan with us in League One, signed on a permanent after we got promoted (but quite late on), didn't feature at all and spent most of the season on loan much further down the pyramid, now released. I guess that's football for you. Hope he lands on his feet.

An exceptionally strange one. Often looked ropey in a division below, so to sign him as a development player not getting near the team and then release him made little sense at all.

Surely this is the nature of a development squad. The hit rate of first team potential will be lower but so are the costs of trying. Unfortunately now the league have made set an age deadline for many to make the jump. I liked Phillips as a player and I am sure the hope was he’d progress further than he did. Think we need are going to see more of this as the development squad grows. I imagine we will have more players involved at this level next season.

• 'Discussions are ongoing relating to the futures of other players, including Adebayo Akinfenwa, whose contract expires this summer.'

I guess Pattison and Burley are the other players mentioned here.

• @micra said:
    If Stockdale was injured/ill I believe we could sign an experienced ‘keeper on an emergency loan but maybe @DevC or his ghost writer ( @EwanHoosaami ?) could confirm.

It depends on whether the second tier of the US league, where Anderson played several games, is regarded as a professional league. My guess is that it would be in which case no loan would be possible outside of the transfer windows if one of Stockdale/Anderson are fit. I am sure the club know for sure.

• "The United States Soccer Federation regulates the standards for a league or division to be recognized as professional, while also determining the level of division for each league. The three professional levels are:

• MLS
    • USL Championship
    • National Independent Soccer Association / USL League 1."

There is an unofficial pyramid level beyond that, but is not sanctioned as US professional soccer.

Curtis Anderson played for Charlotte Independence (North Carolina) in the USL Championship.

• I’ve seen a handful of USL games. They are low on tempo and tackling, but technically pretty good. Anderson came through at Man City and won an age group World Cup, so he must have something about him.

• He's at the most crucial stage of development for a goalkeeper - who physical development is more important for than any other position - but the fact we've kept him on is encouraging.

City paid £15,000 for him when he was 11, which feels obscene.