Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• @Shev said:
    Here is a solution: Wycombe v Derby at Wembley for a place in the Championship. Ironically we would help prove their players were amortized correctly when we thrash them.

What about the Weston Homes Stadium. More or less equidistant for both teams.

• Thought there would be nothing in this bar a convenient small punishment affecting next season.

But the efl seem hell bent on pushing this through this year.

This is getting very interesting.

If Derby get away with not getting stung this year I think Wednesday will get involved legally. And rightly so.

Anyone know when this big verdict is due?

• @BSE said:
    Derby's day is getting better i see

Did seem outrageously opportunistic from Derby.
    Sacking a guy who wasn't driving yet keeping the driver who funnily enough was a lot younger with more value to the club.

• If a football bounced into my path @Morris_Ital I’d probably trip over it. Limbs akimbo. (Sounds like a new signing or a musical group.)

• The EFL is pushing for any sanctions against Derby - who narrowly avoided relegation to League One on the final day of the Championship season - to be determined as soon as possible after finding the club in breach of profit and sustainability regulations.

It is not yet clear whether any punishment would be applied to this season or next as the EFL said there was "no definitive timescale" for proceedings.

• If the EFL has no idea of timescale, we are really in trouble. Derby can circle the year 2032.

• Being from Nottingham I am completely neutral about the whole affair and I believe 15 points and 11 goals should be deducted from their final league standings immediately.

• @micra said:
    If a football bounced into my path @Morris_Ital I’d probably trip over it. Limbs akimbo. (Sounds like a new signing or a musical group.)

I’m sure Limbs akimbo was a club just off the Reeperbahn

• It may be a technical infringement relating to mildly obscure accountancy rules but in the real world the change in their amortisation policy meant DCFC were able to minimise the resultant charges and reduce their losses sufficiently to appear to comply with FFP; to the tune of close to £30m over 3 years if Price of Football's analysis of DCFC's accounts is accurate.

This is cheating plain and simple and has a huge consequence on the pitch as it meant they could afford higher wages, better players etc.

• Looks like the Football League are being peak Football League.

No chance Derby will get the punishment they deserve. Making Rooney manager might well get some benefit for them at last as there is no way the league will relegate a side with a manager if his profile.

It’s crooked beyond belief but it’s kind of accepted to keep the bigger sides happy.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Looks like the Football League are being peak Football League.

No chance Derby will get the punishment they deserve. Making Rooney manager might well get some benefit for them at last as there is no way the league will relegate a side with a manager if his profile.

It’s crooked beyond belief but it’s kind of accepted to keep the bigger sides happy.

We have a not so secret weapon. Rob Couhig and although American and English law are different they are not that different.

• @MorrisItal_ said:

@micra said:
    If a football bounced into my path @Morris_Ital I’d probably trip over it. Limbs akimbo. (Sounds like a new signing or a musical group.)

Legs Akimbo was the theatre group in League of Gentlemen, wasn't it. Not sure anyone wants to see the Gasroom old guard performing interpretive dance whilst wearing leotards.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

@MorrisItal_ said:

@micra said:

Legs Akimbo was the theatre group in League of Gentlemen, wasn't it. Not sure anyone wants to see the Gasroom old guard performing interpretive dance whilst wearing leotards.

If we did I’m sure Derby would give us the points just to make us go away

• @MorrisItal_ said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

We have a not so secret weapon. Rob Couhig and although American and English law are different they are not that different.

I really hope we don’t go down the legal route. At best it will last for months and potentially disrupt any close season planning.

Let’s just plan for a competitive League 1 season and not worry about this sideshow.

It appears (reading some threads) that several clubs have been ‘cheating’ by fiddling FFP so when we come back next year Karma will ensure we start off several points off bottom place again…

• @Shev said:
    If the EFL has no idea of timescale, we are really in trouble. Derby can circle the year 2032.

I took that no timescale bit as being more about it not necessarily being a punishment for next season.
    Maybe that's my sheer wishful thinking though.

• edited May 2021

@MorrisItal_ said:

Yeah all this talk of employing lawyers, surely we have a cost saving having our own!

I'm certain we're a lot sharper these days then when we sold players for a reduced fee a day or so before they went for huge money, or added "England" honours for a player who then represented Scotland.
    And no doubt a million other things we've all forgotten from the well meaning but literally amateur stewardship a few years back.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

Until recently I would agree and you may still be right but I wonder, after the European super league debacle, whether football authorities might want to be seen as upholding the spirit of the game and distance themselves from appearing in thrall to so called ‘big clubs’.

• @bookertease said:

@MorrisItal_ said:

I really hope we don’t go down the legal route. At best it will last for months and potentially disrupt any close season planning.

Let’s just plan for a competitive League 1 season and not worry about this sideshow.

It appears (reading some threads) that several clubs have been ‘cheating’ by fiddling FFP so when we come back next year Karma will ensure we start off several points off bottom place again…

I expect we will play in league one next season but aren’t we all a little tired of being patted on the head and told what’s good for us.

• Good point @Manboobs - also, they get an additional year (at least) of Wayne Rooney's Derby, with them a step further away from the PL.

• @Malone said:

@MorrisItal_ said:

Yeah all this talk of employing lawyers, surely we have a cost saving having our own!

I'm certain we're a lot sharper these days then when we sold players for a reduced fee a day or so before they went for huge money, or added "England" honours for a player who then represented Scotland.
    And no doubt a million other things we've all forgotten from the well meaning but literally amateur stewardship a few years back.

If we were still under trust stewardship we’d have come out of the meeting wondering how we agreed a contribution to Derbys running costs next season

• Daily Mail reporting today that " It is likely that the EFL will run out of time and Derby will begin next season with a points deduction. "
    EFL statement: " There is no definitive timescale for a sanction , though the league will press for a decision as soon as reasonably possible ".
    DM also state that Derby, owned by Mel Morris, have delayed the procedure in an apparent attempt to avoid punishment this season!!

• If Derby gain an extra year of Championship money by dint of having deliberately delayed the process it'll be a travesty. I'd rather Wednesday had their deduction carried over to next season too, which would save them and relegate Derby anyway. EFL are so bloody spineless.

• I agree Wednesday should stay up, why does it take a long time to make a decision, just discuss the option of what should happen to Derby and have a vote

• Rule 93 states vote only needed for ratifying decision to expel a club from EFL

Other than the Disciplinary Commision makes the decision and I can’t see anything that says other clubs can make (official) input to the process

• edited May 2021

Club not considering legal action at the moment: https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2021/may/club-comments-on-derby-county-situation/

"To finish on 43 points, and above two other teams, is a creditable achievement given the relative tight financial restraints that the club has operated under during the 2020/21 season. We have gone into battle with teams assembled for nine-figure sums, and often fallen narrowly short.

Wycombe Wanderers will always continue to compete to its maximum potential, on and off the pitch, by playing within the rules. We expect our opponents to do the same."

• Looking forward to seeing how certain media personalities spin that.

• Crikey. While the statement makes it clear we’re currently leaving it to the relevant authorities and aren’t at this stage taking any action ourselves, it does imply that we expect the outcome to be a pts deduction for Derby this season.

And we’re arguing that we went into the ‘Boro game believing that a 22nd place finish could be enough to put us in a position to remain in the Championship next season.

My interpretation is that this is a diplomatic way of saying we expect to be int he second tier next season and will likely take legal action if that isn’t the case.

• "We respect the process and are not contemplating legal action at this time, contrary to media speculation." - very carefully worded statement, which I suggest would have been vetted by Rob Couhig before being released.

As Rob said originally - " watch this space".

COYB

• Key words are " at this time ".

• I think it puts our position across clearly and concisely .Our players and management team did an amazing job on a tight budget within the rules that you gave us and now we’re told that the club that finished above us cheated well EFL what are you going to do about it?