Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• https://www.efl.com/news/2021/may/efl-statement-derby-county is the full link. Last bit very wooly, Whilst we'd all agree this is best solved quickly the EFL system and any appeals may not

• EFL rule 12.3 and 12.4

Insolvency/Administation points deduction

If before 4th Thursday in March - immediate deduction
    If after and relegated anyway deduction next season
    If after and would be relegated with deduction then applies this season

Nothing said about promotion places

Other matters Rules 83 - 9 4allows for points deductions or fines or other penalties for other issues including financial irregularity. Rule 92.3 states penalty may be imposed immediately, deferred or suspended as decided by the commission.

So all as clear as mud then.

In my simple view it’s this latter set of rules that’re applicable as there is no administation or insolvency so the end of March is not relevant.

• @carrickblue said:
    EFL rule 12.3 and 12.4

Insolvency/Administation points deduction

If before 4th Thursday in March - immediate deduction
    If after and relegated anyway deduction next season
    If after and would be relegated with deduction then applies this season

Nothing said about promotion places

Other matters Rules 83 - 9 4allows for points deductions or fines or other penalties for other issues including financial irregularity. Rule 92.3 states penalty may be imposed immediately, deferred or suspended as decided by the commission.

So all as clear as mud then.

In my simple view it’s this latter set of rules that’re applicable as there is no administation or insolvency so the end of March is not relevant.

"Despite media speculation there is no definitive timescale for a determination on sanction though the League will press for a decision as soon as reasonably possible and will provide a further update at the appropriate time.

The EFL will be making no further comment on this matter at this time."

• Potential to appeal size of sanction as well . How long did it take them to give Wednesday their 12 point deduction then reduce it to 6???

• https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2021/05/club-statement-efl-v-derby-county

Derby statement too.

Guess it is a wait and see situation - does seem most likely that if this results in any points deduction would apply next season, but suppose the fact EFL haven’t ruled it out at this stage to stop the speculation, could mean it’s still possible that it’s applied to 2020/21.

• Just putting in an order for my "accounting standard FRS102" banner.

• @wwfc_since_1993 said:
    https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2021/05/club-statement-efl-v-derby-county

Derby statement too.

Guess it is a wait and see situation - does seem most likely that if this results in any points deduction would apply next season, but suppose the fact EFL haven’t ruled it out at this stage to stop the speculation, could mean it’s still possible that it’s applied to 2020/21.

They seem to be trying already to blame the delays on other charges brought by the EFL and oddly Middlesbrough which weren't upheld. Definitely angling /positioning themselves for it to be next year, not that it's up to them. I'm sure one of our esteemed posters suggested this sort of thing doesn't happen whilst failing miserably not to be patronising.

• Because this case revolves around the validity of an accounting practice, - basically how do you amortise a players value and the accounts were signed off and submitted to the EFL in good time - rather than, for instance, failure to declare a material fact, l'm expecting that Derby will be hit with a financial sanction rather than a footballing sanction and, therefore, it's timing is rather less important.

However, the EFL absolutely have to resolve this with urgency so that we can, with clarity, plan for next season in league 1.

• @our_frank said:
    Just putting in an order for my "accounting standard FRS102" banner.

"Amortization > Relegation"

• They've cheated and, ultimately, benefitted on the pitch as a result. If they're not hit with a footballing sanction then what is the point?

• It's not just that they used a method that isn't quite right, surely the charge is that they deliberately changed to an unacceptable method in order to try and get round or cover up breeching the allowed spend.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    It's not just that they used a method that isn't quite right, surely the charge is that they deliberately changed to an unacceptable method in order to try and get round or cover up breeching the allowed spend.

The method is iffy at best.

This 'iffy' method was used (why did they only just start using it?) as an attempt to cover true loses.

• @BSE said:
    Derby's day is getting better i see

Or £2.30 in their books

• I wonder if part of the EFL's reluctance to act quickly and consistently here is because Derby are such a basket case, relegation this year would almost guarantee relegation next year as well.

• edited May 2021

Middlesbrough's beef with Derby goes back years, but why were they allowed to delay these proceedings? Also, is there not the implication that Derby could have been found guilty much sooner? In which case there might be a case for the points deduction to apply to this season?

But again, it's all speculation until we get some kind of clarity.

• @BSE said:
    Derby's day is getting better i see

It's all right being awarded these damages, but it's another thing to actually get the club to hand it over.

• Championship would be nice, but if football yet again fails to police itself properly (which we all suspect is what will happen) I am looking forward to a great League One season and passing the Posh on their way down by next May.

• Here is a solution: Wycombe v Derby at Wembley for a place in the Championship. Ironically we would help prove their players were amortized correctly when we thrash them.

• Another Wembley game? They shoudl move it to a nuetral venue like The City Ground.
    As someone on that second tier twitter thing pointed out...you know the authorities are morally bankrupt when there is talk of moving the play-offs from Wembley to accommodate a Final between two of the clubs who tried to destroy the pyramid.

• @Shev said:
    Here is a solution: Wycombe v Derby at Wembley for a place in the Championship. Ironically we would help prove their players were amortized correctly when we thrash them.

Even better Wycombe against Derby fans in a walking football playoff.

I can see it just as the clocks running down @arnos_grove puts down his crisps and sends the ball cross field to @drcongo who in a change of plan launches the ball towards myself who has while attempting a Cruyff turn thrown out my hip and collapsed, subsequently the ball bounces off my prostrate body into the path of @micra who rockets it into the net.

• The scenes when the Gasroom players angrily surround the referee to correct his grammar...

• 20 secs to go @DevC only has to smash it into rowZ for a throw in but chooses to play it back to @glasshalffull, who despite talking a good game is hobbling, the pass is short and the Derby player strolls up the touch line crosses and... heartbreak .... they score.

• I think it more likely @DevC and @glasshalffull would both score sublime scissor kick goals, only to be lambasted by their teammates.