Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• I agree that surely they have to announce something either way fairly soon, as has been mentioned it could effect which players are kept on, and various other decisions at Wycombe and Derby

• Not sure that explosions of piles are particularly beautiful.

• @Shev said:
    Wycombe v Peterborough next season would be box office!

and a sell out!

• @micra said:
    Apologies. I think I got very muddled with my permutations. Nasty business!

Not as nasty as Mr Swanns exploded haemorrhoids

• edited May 2021

Indeed @Shev & @Guppys_Left_Leg. Imagine if we win as well! Limbs!

• @Twizz said:
    Surely the point has to be made to the EFL that wherever the outcome it has to be determined as a matter of urgency.
    Both ourselves and Derby need to know, with clarity, which league we will be playing in next year ASAP. To continue to faff about and allow the situation to drag on does nobody any good.
    I'd assume that is on Rob Couhig's mind more so than trying to in some way influence the outcome. And there's no wrong in that, nor does it in any way taint the memory of the dignified way in which we handled relegation.

Just looking at that BBC article posted earlier in the thread re Macclesfield, the season ended in June and the decision wasn’t confirmed until August. Let’s hope things move along a little quicker than that.

• @micra said:
    Not sure that explosions of piles are particularly beautiful.

They are if they belong to said Mr Swann!

• This is a weird place sometimes

• Remember when one of the positive points in the first lot of prospective new American owners was they left Derby in a better position than when they first bought in, sold on to a well respected local business man. Now they seem in a right old mess!

Thankfully they pulled out when they did, a very lucky escape for us I think.

• @Croider said:
    Remember when one of the positive points in the first lot of prospective new American owners was they left Derby in a better position than when they first bought in, sold on to a well respected local business man. Now they seem in a right old mess!

Thankfully they pulled out when they did, a very lucky escape for us I think.

When did they leave Derby? Cause Derby fans were quite positive about them at the time they were interested in Wycombe.

• A very interesting point @Croider.

• I hate to see what is being written and a statement from the club setting their position straight is needed. To wait and see is all that can be done. Losing the goodwill the club has from their efforts this season would be disastrous.

• @wingnut said:
    I hate to see what is being written and a statement from the club setting their position straight is needed. To wait and see is all that can be done. Losing the goodwill the club has from their efforts this season would be disastrous.

What is being written is nothing like what Couhig has said but if you want him to say it again I am sure he will. The club want to know where they stand. I want the owners of my club to know that. We can’t afford a second stunted off season.

• I don't think anyone could possibly expect the owners not to try to put a little bit of pressure on, it's their job. Part of me would not like to stay up on a technicality, and I would feel sorry for derby's fans who don't deserve any of this. But also they cheated financial regulations and only finished one point above Wycombe. If the penalty is that they go down, and our reward for spending sensibly and within our means is that we stay up, I would not lose too much sleep.

• The Daily mail is reporting that the EFL have won the appeal against the Derby case on grounds of player valuation. Very interesting.

• No one is asking for favours here. Just the same application of sanction that other clubs have had levied on them. No club chairman, fan, etc wants to see the EFL pinch Derby’s cheek and say run along you cheeky scamps when it’s clear they’ve been cheating for three years.
    They were happy to crush Macclesfield so punishing brand Rooney should not bother them.

• I'm just speculating, but the difference with the Macclesfield situation might be that they had already been docked points during the season - then had that deduction increased afterwards.

• file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/0d/13/59BA55C0-257F-440C-A1CC-CBDBC28DD736/6d9a650d-577b-434d-b3a5-7a65a036e636.heic

• Tried to paste the Daily Mail report but failed ?

• I think we need to be careful about not sounding like some of the bitter Bristol Rovers fans and moaning about being cheated out of our place.

We weren’t. Whatever Derby are guilty of has occurred over a period of years and, given the case dates back to the start of the season, this particular season is probably the least worst of their misdemeanours in recent times.

We just need to see what the independent panel come up with and move on.

• Oops it does sound deliberate

• Agree clarity is needed so prep for next season can get underway. The financial difference between Ch and L1 is significant.

Yes if we base the season on matches played we finished 23rd but if 2 clubs have cheated they should both be punished accordingly and it's not our fault if we benefit as a result. It would also give the fans the chance to potentially experience Championship football properly, in the stadiums, live, so of course would accept it if offered. That's been the one missing ingredient, as much as it has been a pleasure remotely following this amazing squad, real lifelong memories would be all the better witnessing it in packed out, famous and historic Championship grounds

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Tried to paste the Daily Mail report but failed ?

I believe it is pasted in my 12:26 post on P1.

• Sorry @ValleyWanderer, missed that. Old age.

• Derby's offence certainly seems like a crime against generally accepted accountancy principles. The standard is that you write off their value over the length of their contract. But, if you didn't accept that and tried to revalue them, their performances would suggest their value has gone down rather than up.

• People seem to be missing the point. Derby breaking the rules allowed them to sign better players which resulted in them getting more points than us. We got enough points to stay up in several recent championship seasons. But we are down because another club cheated. We shouldn't be ashamed of fighting to stay up this season.

• I know it’s probably wrong and misguided but, for some reason (despite the likelihood that this will still, eventually, result in our relegation), I have experienced an unexpected frisson of excitement. Very unlike me. I wonder if I’m alone in that respect?

• I've not changed my position because of all the speculation. I can understand your frisson @micra , and I would be delighted if we were to stay up as a result of all this. But we absolutely shouldn't be campaigning for it to happen or taking legal action in an attempt to force it to happen. Let the cards fall where they will.

• Totally agree @OakwoodExile. It’s just that it’s yet another strange and slightly unpredictable situation.