Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• @aloysius said:
    I don't know how many of you have experience of media relations but, without wishing to be too patronising…. i

Didn’t quite manage that bit there… (from an expert)

• I'm divided.

After all of the uproar of PPG, I'd like to really take a good run at the League One promotion next time out, and to see these players compete near the top of an inferior league. It's been a long season, and I'd love to see us attack the opposition every week. Plus, we've been relegated as we didn't get enough points over 46 games.

However, I know that nothing is a given, and it could all get away from us next season. Plus if Sheff W were given a points deduction, Derby absolutely should be too.

• Yes! Derby should be docked points the way SW were.
    Yes! we should be inquiring about it behind closed doors.
    No! we should not comment about it publicly for all the reasons given above.
    For me it would tarnish our dignified exit from the Championship just when we are looking forward to a rip-roaring season in League One.
    Yes...though it would be nice to blow Mr Swann's tiny mind!

@aloysius given that (in my opinion) the tepid draw against a poor Birmingham and dropping points after taking the lead against Luton and Swansea ultimately cost us our place I'm intrigued to know who the player was who would have saved us.

• The Macclesfield precedent won't count as they are a small club as opposed to Wayne Rooney's Derby (tm)

• I must admit I was quite looking forward to next season in League 1…

If I read this correctly Derby HAVE been guilty of an offence and will receive an appropriate fine and/or points deduction this season or next to be decided by an independent panel.

My view is that we as a club need to sit back and accept the decision of that panel regardless.

I can’t see the harm of pointing out to the EFL/independent panel that the club most likely to be affected by any decision to defer a points deduction (if one is felt appropriate) happens to be owned by an American lawyer though.

That should never have been stated publicly though as it does seem a bit like sour grapes.

• If Derby have a points deduction applied next season then Sheff Weds would be all over it wouldn't they?

Let them take it to court

• edited May 2021

If we somehow stay up, we would be in the bizarre position of being both effectively relegated and saved by the same club, with Cardiff beating us to end our hopes, but then equalizing at the death against Rotherham to enable us to come third from bottom.

• That will be a great future quiz question!

• edited May 2021

Personally, I would not exactly be buying champagne if we stayed up in this manner, but considering Derby actually cheated, I would not feel at all guilty either. Ultimately, clubs of their size will be back in this division at some point - we are not talking about a Macclesfield or a Bury skirting with oblivion. However, there is no guarantee we ever make it back, so if our one season ends with a cheating club finishing one point above us, it would stick in the craw a little.

I felt MUCH more sorry for Wigan last season, yet Barnsley have cracked on, and I doubt their fans are hand wringing over not deserving to be in the second tier!

• edited May 2021

I'd celebrate. Maybe it's a lot to ask these days, but any success in football - whether that be staying in the Championship or winning the Champions League - should come with the implication that it's been achieved fairly. If Derby have cheated then they haven't stayed up legitimately, simple as that.

As a football fan, I wouldn't wish relegation on any team. But also a football fan, I want the game to be fair and those who operate within the rules not to be shafted because some think they can do what the f*** they want and get away with it.

• I’m not sure you can blame RC. He was asked a straight question and gave a straight answer.

That answer is also exactly the one you’d expect too - if we weren’t at least considering our position pending the outcome of the EFL appeal it would be very odd.

It has become a tabloid story because of Rooney’s involvement and Derby’s profile.

What I do not wish to see is WWFC fanning the flames and crying about injustice if we’re in Lg1 and I’m 99.9% that will not happen.

• @Wendoverman One of your finest ever posts.

• The EFL took away our playoff place in 94/95, perhaps things are just evening out.

• Surely the point has to be made to the EFL that wherever the outcome it has to be determined as a matter of urgency.
    Both ourselves and Derby need to know, with clarity, which league we will be playing in next year ASAP. To continue to faff about and allow the situation to drag on does nobody any good.
    I'd assume that is on Rob Couhig's mind more so than trying to in some way influence the outcome. And there's no wrong in that, nor does it in any way taint the memory of the dignified way in which we handled relegation.

• edited May 2021

If we stay up, I am going to be thinking about Anthony Stewart somehow diverting that Bournemouth shot onto the bar for a long long time.

• @Shev said:
    If we stay up, I am going to be thinking about Anthony Stewart somehow diverting that Bournemouth shot onto the bar for a long long time.

With his arm, which would only add to the outrage from certain sections ;)

• I think we all know deep down that any points deduction would be next season.
    Would be a huge call if not!

• I did not realize that, @ReturnToSenda!

One other thing (not to keep on the "if we stay up" posts).

Our miracle season last year was obscured (to outsiders) by the false narrative of "Yeah, but Wycombe were in 85th place, had lost 116 games in a row, and were dropping like a stone. Some computer glitch handed them promotion"

This season, one of the greatest great escapes would be obscured (to outsiders) by the fact we "got lucky" that Derby got punished for cheating.

Having said that, I understand the second perspective better than the first!

• @Malone said:
    I think we all know deep down that any points deduction would be next season.

The EFL want it applied to this season, but probably - in which case Wednesday would be well within their rights to kick up a fuss.

• @Shev The official line was "knee", but it looked suspiciously like not his knee...

• I don't know what to think at this point - did we just barely get over the line to safety, or did we just barely put ourselves in a position to be disappointed further at missing out to a club cheating one point above us?

• Anthony Stewart's arm has loomed large in the Wycombe legend...considering there was a play-off incident as well! :smiley:

• I've had a look around a few other forums, and surprisingly most other fans are on our side, saying that Derby have cheated and shouldn't get away with it

• @HolmerBlue said:
    I've had a look around a few other forums, and surprisingly most other fans are on our side, saying that Derby have cheated and shouldn't get away with it

Yes - even many Sunderland fans, amazingly!

• @Shev said:

Yes - even many Sunderland fans, amazingly!

Wonders will never cease! You will be saying next that Alan Swann is on our side (oh look there goes a flying pig :wink: )

• @Malone said:
    I think we all know deep down that any points deduction would be next season.

Totally agree @Malone. The whole point in me starting this thread was to try and raise the perspective and make it more difficult for the EFL to just take the easy option for once. NGU.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I'd celebrate. Maybe it's a lot to ask these days, but any success in football - whether that be staying in the Championship or winning the Champions League - should come with the implication that it's been achieved fairly. If Derby have cheated then they haven't stayed up legitimately, simple as that.

As a football fan, I wouldn't wish relegation on any team. But also a football fan, I want the game to be fair and those who operate within the rules not to be shafted because some think they can do what the f*** they want and get away with it.

I think that's a perfect summary tbh. Whilst I'm fairly sure that we will start in L1 next season, (& really don't mind), it will be in the main because the size of Derby with it's history & the Rooney involvement. They have more than shithoused their way to the current position via delay & manipulation of figures. So anything other than the penalties that SW got will be an utter injustice. Like many others I suspect that this has also delayed the takeover for months as any prospective buyer will want to wait for the outcome. After all, given the incomes at stake, I suspect there is a massive difference in the prices of a L1 club as opposed to a Championship club. If the EFL want to stamp out these practices punishment has to be severe so as to deter others. Added to which, the thought of Alan Swanns' piles exploding all over his Twitter account would be a thing of beauty!

• Well, the Sunderland fans are horrified at the thought of having to face us again. Or not, if justice is done. Or not, if they scrape through the playoffs and justice is not done. Or, oh I dunno. Permutations.

But, seriously, we cannot sort out contracts or decisions on release and retention etc until this is resolved.

• Wycombe v Peterborough next season would be box office!

• Apologies. I think I got very muddled with my permutations. Nasty business!