Skip to content

Match day thread: Middlesbrough

Comments

• Did anyone else think Matt Cecil poured some cold water on the idea of us retaining Adeniran during the commentary?

• @Shev said:
    Okay - anyone else have in the back of their minds that we have potentially positioned ourselves for a Derby points deduction? Go on, admit it!

If that happened I think I'd just set up camp in Alan Swann's twitter for a few days.

• edited May 2021

@drcongo said:
    Did anyone else think Matt Cecil poured some cold water on the idea of us retaining Adeniran during the commentary?

He has quite a dry demeanour the way he speaks.
    He also totally swerved the Allsop question by saying he was "unavailable to travel", and Gareth will do it all privately, rather than getting into any conjecture about what might happen.

Difficult position for a media guy really, as he can't be open.

• I have little sympathy for derby. Their FFP fun and games last year that was clear for all to see. If the EFL was a competent body it would have resulted in sanction.

• Who would have thought 46 years ago that we’d beat Boro 0-3 in the same league?

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    I have little sympathy for derby. Their FFP fun and games last year that was clear for all to see. If the EFL was a competent body it would have resulted in sanction.

Hard not to think back to losing that home game to them undeservedly in the 90th min as well.
    But we could probably list 6 or 7 key results, goals or disallowed goals/bad calls across the season.
    We can look back with pride and be ready to go again soon.

• As nice as it was to hear Rob Couhig's fulsome praise of the players and management on in his post-match interview with Phil C on 3CR, it was a bit disappointing to hear that he started on the question of whether other teams are going to get points deductions. I'd rather he left that in private, or just left it completely. A bum note in a day of wonderful music.

I thought the team was extraordinary today - capping off a few weeks of tremendous performances. There were so many individual performances bordering on faultless from front to back and 3 terrific goals. What a way to finish a proud season for the club.

• Watch out before issuing praise, there’s a phantom thumbs down merchant on the warpath!

• And right on cue.....are you brave enough to reveal your identity?

• We would all like to sign Muskwe and Adeniran but lets not set it up and make failing to sign them a stick to beat the club with. They both come from Premier League teams, so chances are slim but, having said that, if anyone can persuade them it is this management and this set of players.

• edited May 2021

@glasshalffull said:
    And right on cue.....are you brave enough to reveal your identity?

First rule of thumbs down club is any mention of thumbs down, automatically secures you a lot more.
    I'm sorry, but I had to adhere to this, and give you your 5th ;)

• Well chaps, so ends another season, and I'm proper chuffed for the Chairboys, a 3-0 spanking at Boro, and finishing 3rd bottom, a cracking day ? As for us, a season of missed chances, that's wots cost us, bt at least we finished above the piggies ☺ And to see both Sheffield clubs finishing rock bottom of their respective divisions, never bin dun before, get in there ?? Well folks, have a happy and safe close season, and hopefully we'll meet up nxt season, take care UTM

• @Malone said:

@glasshalffull said:

First rule of thumbs down club is any mention of thumbs down, automatically secures you a lot more.

Wasn’t aware of that Malone and no apology necessary. Just surprised that anyone could find a negative on such a positive day.

• Season finished 2 hours ago and no new signings. What are the management team doing?

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    I have little sympathy for derby. Their FFP fun and games last year that was clear for all to see. If the EFL was a competent body it would have resulted in sanction.

It wud have, but from wot i heard, the penalty, if they get it of course, wud be financial. On Football Heaven, our local fone in, the presenter was talking about it a few days ago, and apparently their situation was a little different to the pigs (SWFC)

• @Malone said:

@glasshalffull said:

I don't get enough thumbs down. (Waits expectantly)

• Immensely proud of all associated with the club tonight. Whoever said getting relegated to League One with Ainsworth in charge feels so much more positive than the times we have been promoted to the same division with Waddock and Taylor has hit the nail on the head.

• It was me about the Taylor promotion, although I don't agree with Waddock. The wins against Bury and Southend were magnificent.

• So I'm obviously happy not to have finished bottom but am I really the only person not to wonder where we'd have finished had it not taken Ainsworth so long to stop playing hoof ball and, better still, to find some semblance of his best 11?

• Jesus, Mary, Joseph and the wee donkey...

• @Doob it would appear so.

• @Doob said:
    So I'm obviously happy not to have finished bottom but am I really the only person not to wonder where we'd have finished had it not taken Ainsworth so long to stop playing hoof ball and, better still, to find some semblance of his best 11?

No. I'm sure @aloysius and @Wanderers82 are with you @Doob.

• @Doob there's probably a few who have wondered. However, we've accepted what did happened - GA changed formation and was finally able to find players to perform well in their positions - and moved on rather than keep banging on about it until everyone else is sick to death of the whinging.

• Evidently the cut off for points deductions is im March (I assume unless a Wigan-type administration) so we go from 99.99999% down to 100% down.

Excited for L1!

• What a remarkable season and achievement by Ainsworth and the squad to play with that passion throughout after being 12points adrift at one stage.... I fully believe we'd of stayed up if stadiums were open and next season we will be fighting for promotion I have no doubts. Coyb

• @Shev said:
    Evidently the cut off for points deductions is im March (I assume unless a Wigan-type administration) so we go from 99.99999% down to 100% down.

Excited for L1!

This just isn't true. Macclesfield were given a points deduction last year long after the season finished

• @WanderingDays said:

@Shev said:
    Evidently the cut off for points deductions is im March (I assume unless a Wigan-type administration) so we go from 99.99999% down to 100% down.

Excited for L1!

This just isn't true. Macclesfield were given a points deduction last year long after the season finished

I believe any points deduction would be applied in the following season if the club has been relegated, but applied to the current season otherwise. So a hypothetic points deduction for, say, Derby could see us stay up.
    However, I just don't see Derby incurring a points deduction.

• I will say this gently, for I don't want to get some posters' blood pressure up needlessly. But having thought about what made yesterday's performance so special, I do think a big part of it was that we had 11 players on the pitch who looked like they were enjoying their football. Big smiles on all their faces. No petulance, aggression or cussing when decisions went against them or a teammate misplaced a pass. It meant we played with positivity, from the goal line to the forwards. Yes, the pressure was off us, which certainly helped. But I do think I prefer to watch a Wycombe 11 all playing with smiles on their faces, even if maybe a case could be made for one or two other players in the squad being technically better footballers.

• They’re professional footballers @aloysius. They’re not supposed to be enjoying themselves !