Skip to content

Match day thread: Bournemouth

Comments

• edited May 2021

Getting into the championship came at the perfect time to keep Gareth. And even if we have (barring an insane miracle) gone straight back down, he's now seen it can be achieved, and even that we can stay up there with a few more things going out way.

It feels the least chance of losing him in quite a few years, touch wood!

I don't think anyone has Gareth down as a "money" guy, and he's sharp enough to understand a "secure" (by football standards!) job here is worth more than the risk of being sacked and out of work in say 1 year at a more unstable club.

However, having said that, if another club offer 4 or 5 times his wage here, then that risk is balanced out a fair bit.

• Excellent words, Malone. It is probably true that every man has his price, but there are so many other factors involved where Gareth is concerned.

• I don't think anyone seriously questions that proposition.

• There was one poster who did, hence the recent thread.

• Not that money was the sole consideration.

• On a separate matter (because I still don’t know how to start a new thread!), I see that Lincoln have received an apology for the penalty against them that enabled Peterborough to clinch promotion on Saturday. I expect those bastions of fair play Messrs McAnthony and Swann to call for the game to be replayed as the penalty ended Lincoln’s chances of automatic promotion.

• One person’s: “he'd expect a decent wad to be persuaded to leave” is another person’s “offer too good to refuse.”

• Out of curiosity @glasshalffull where did the apology come from? The ref? Peterborough?

• @bookertease said:
    One person’s: “he'd expect a decent wad to be persuaded to leave” is another person’s “offer too good to refuse.”

No it isn’t. If the offer was to join a club that suited his lifestyle and his family commitments that would make it more attractive than simply being offered a bigger pay packet.

• @bookertease said:
    Out of curiosity @glasshalffull where did the apology come from? The ref? Peterborough?

From EFL head of referees Mike Jones.

• .”............I just hope that people remember how good we have it with a manager who is still so in love with our club. And come February 2022 if we are mid-table people are not calling for change. Be careful what you wish for.”

Indeed. But I think it’s fair to say that quite a few of us were struggling a bit, mid to late season, and feeling frustrated with the apparent conviction that, because millionaire players think and pass the ball more quickly, we would be outplayed if we tried to play a more sophisticated brand of football. The only real source of pleasure and entertainment for a while was watching the budding wunderkind that is Anis Mehmeti whilst relative chaos ruled around him..

Well, that all changed with a vengeance following the switch to a more attacking formation using players who were comfortable on the ball in positions to which, as it turned out in one or two cases, they were ideally suited. I have in mind the two wing backs in particular. Jason McCarthy has really blossomed in his new role and Fred has also adapted well, with the slight caveat that he appears to tire a little in the second half of games. The football played in most of the last dozen or so games has been a joy to behold

Be careful what you wish for indeed but the recent change of format and style has resulted in exactly what most of us had wished for (not least the management team, of course). There were occasions a couple of months ago when I was concerned to see GA looking uncharacteristically down and under the weather and it’s great to see him now with all his customary positivity and joie de vivre restored.

• @glasshalffull said:

@bookertease said:
    Out of curiosity @glasshalffull where did the apology come from? The ref? Peterborough?

From EFL head of referees Mike Jones.

Thanks. Wow must have been a really shocking decision (well it was I guess). I hope Lincoln go up through the playoffs now although always one of my favourite away trips

• Swann needs help. In failing to acknowledge that Peterborough cheated he then goes on to detail areas where Lincoln have won penalties as a way of deflection. His writing is a cry for help not journalism

• I'm not convinced it's a real person.

• @eric_plant said:
    I'm not convinced it's a real person.

He is a real person, whether he’s a real journalist or simply a mouthpiece for Peterborough Utd. Is another question altogether.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

Swann needs help. In failing to acknowledge that Peterborough cheated he then goes on to detail areas where Lincoln have won penalties as a way of deflection. His writing is a cry for help not journalism

It reads like something from a Peterborough fans forum.
    Alan if you want to be something other than a local sports hack at a regional newspaper you’ve got to bring something more than that.
    “It’s fair cos Lincoln got decisions in their favour too”, jeez

• I think they call it 'whataboutism'

• @HCblue said:
    Not that money was the sole consideration.

My local fishmonger deliberately eschews greater profits by refusing to diversify, happy to remain a 100% sole owner

• @Wendoverman said:
    I think they call it 'whataboutism'

From a Sunday league journalist

• @glasshalffull said:

@eric_plant said:
    I'm not convinced it's a real person.

He is a real person, whether he’s a real journalist or simply a mouthpiece for Peterborough Utd. Is another question altogether.

Oh Alan

• @aloysius said:

Oh Alan

And your point is?

• You’re right about the ‘gasroom wobble’, @micra - I very much enjoyed the irony of a certain poster (who regularly toddles off to, and reports back to the gasroom about, trips to the likes of Nempnett Thrubwell Reserves on a wet Tuesday night) claiming us to be playing the worst football he’s ever seen. But it’s great to see such unity at the end, in the face of inevitable disappointment.

• I told it as it was @LeedsBlue and my hope was that at least few people might have shared similar feelings about the encouraging changes that have been made in the last few months.

• “...at least a few people......” !

• Nempnett Thrubwell. You couldn’t make it up!

• Uche and Gareth both in the football league paper team of the week.

• @floyd Do you get that delivered?

• Rotherham drew. Third from bottom is still on!

• Officially live on the last day.

What an incredible season.