Skip to content

PLAYER OF THE SEASON

https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2021/april/vote-for-your-202021-supporters-player-of-the-season

For consistency and points won for the team, I can only think of Allsop.
Mehmeti has given us something different.

Other than that - Thompson, Grimmer, Fred?

Comments

• Wheeler...very consistent, gives 100%

• Can I give a different answer on this version of the thread?

I’ll go JJ this time.

• I still voted Josh Knight. He is suffering a little from some recency bias since his suspension, I feel.

• Ainsworth for me

• Agree with @Shev - Josh for me.

• Josh Knight absolutely outstanding. Different class.

• And if he had played more games Stockdale would have pushed Josh very close.

• I’ve voted for Knight, but my players of the first and second halves of the season are Allsop and Stockdale.

• Josh Knight for me. Hoping somehow we can sign him for next year. Slim chance though.

• They said that about Dom Gape @davecz. Our club does have remarkable pulling power!

• Josh Knight for me he's been outstanding this season.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Despite being bottom, we have a few good candidates. Knight benefits from being virtually out only player to be fit throughout the season. He has had his bad games, but for the most part has been very good. Steward alongside him has been equally impressive, but missed a couple of months with injury. Think I'd go for JJ just ahead of Knight, but Thompson would also be a decent shout.

• Only another 23 or so of these threads needed then we can nominate everyone, true squad game.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Only another 23 or so of these threads needed then we can nominate everyone, true squad game.

I thought I was having deja vu. I think I voted and commented on it some time ago. Unless this is a new one.

• Not an easy choice but in the end JJ for me. We should never take for granted having one of the best dead ball deliverers in the EFL and considering 3 years ago some people were questioning whether he was still capable of playing above L2 level.

People (correctly) talk about the influence of Bayo in relation to the start of the season and why his ‘presence’ matters so much. I would argue the same for JJ.

When he came off injured against Spurs we were giving as good as we got but then lost the threat of his delivery and never really got back into the game. And the following games he missed:

Brentford (2-7), Birmingham (0-0 and the most depressing game of the season), Forest (0-3) and Sheff Wed (0-2).

And then back for: Huddersfield (3-2)

I know you can use these things subjectively but to me he is genuinely the one player we have that, with how we usually play, that the opposition fear most. Take him out of our team and we aren’t quite the same.

• Great post @bookertease. Sometimes easy to take for granted one of the best players ever to pull on the quarters, and easily our finest left back.

• Similar to what @Wycombe85 said above, it is amazing to be rock bottom yet find it hard to choose a player of the season for positive reasons.

• Did JJ win last year?

• Yes, JJ won fans' player. I think Stewart won players' player.

• I voted for Stocko, I know people will say about how he didn’t play the full season but what he’s done since he came in has been fantastic. We’ve been a much better team for it and if it wasn’t for him we would have been relegated weeks ago. Hope we see news of him signing a new contract very soon.

• a40a40
    edited May 2021

JJ for me. Whilst Knight has been excellent I think JJs leadership, ability to read the game and dead ball skills gives him the edge this season. And he always seems to be smiling.

• There are plenty of worthy candidates but we’ve been a stronger and calmer team with Curtis on the pitch. He’s just so tidy in what he does and it allows those around him to express themselves with confidence.

I do wonder what he’d be like in an upper Championship or PL side given that he effortlessly adapts to whatever position or league he’s playing in with us.

• I went with Knight, but JJ is a very close 2nd.

Just a personal view, yes he's been good, but the only thing I think that let's Curtis down is his passing, too often when he gets the ball or things are a bit tight it's just a kick up in the air

• @HolmerBlue

Yes, I think that is fair in that he can sometimes be quick to get the ball forward but equally he often plays the simple pass to switch play or to buy us some time.

I’ve been impressed by his crossing and runs into the box this season too. Something I think he’s added to his game in the Championship.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    I’ve been impressed by his crossing and runs into the box this season too. Something I think he’s added to his game in the Championship.

That's the impressive thing about Thompson, he improves every season.

• Thompson is tenacious and good at grappling for the ball and shielding it at close quarters...I agree his passing has improved but still needs work. After the Championship I think he will be even better for us next season. A great signing. Having said that 6 goals today and we're back in with a chance ?

• @HolmerBlue said:
    I went with Knight, but JJ is a very close 2nd.

Just a personal view, yes he's been good, but the only thing I think that let's Curtis down is his passing, too often when he gets the ball or things are a bit tight it's just a kick up in the air

Thompson? He's certainly not the silkiest passer, but he's got to be up there with anyone when the ball's in a tight space.
    And at the bottom of the "hoof" it list

• @Malone said:

@HolmerBlue said:

Thompson? He's certainly not the silkiest passer, but he's got to be up there with anyone when the ball's in a tight space.

I was a bit baffled by this too.

• @drcongo said:

@Malone said:

@HolmerBlue said:

I was a bit baffled by this too.

He presumably doesn't have the excuse of missing periods of play when ifollow buffers like i do ;)
    (Ifollow running smoothly is always right up there with my hopes for any result!)