Skip to content

Match day thread: Cardiff

Comments

• I think they are LED lights, aren’t they @HolmerBlue ? Does that make them more durable as well as less expensive to run ?

• I vaguely recall the figure of £250,000 being quoted for repair of the Frank Adams roof. Somehow doesn’t sound quite as exorbitant now if, as I assume, we have a few million in the bank. Relaying the pitch this summer will be another major expense.

• Surely as we had scored goals and were winning against Luton and Swansea and conceded late against Rotherham and Cardiff this 500K to save our season should have gone on a couple of championship defenders?

• Probably the biggest tragedy of this season is that so few fans have seen those new floodlights in action.

They are absolutely magnificent

• Surely the only thing we know about football and what makes it exciting is that even with the big money clubs you can try and cover every base with money or skilled signings but nothing is ever really totally guaranteed.

• @DevC said:
    Assuming Covid hasnt changed the plan, Prem Solidarity payments and EFL TV deal money for a Championship club are £4.5m and £3.8m respectively making £8.3m in total. There is additional money for being home clubs in live games.

To be fair, Lg1 clubs get £1.3m combined, so additional income as a championship club is c £7m. https://theesk.org/2020/10/29/a-simple-but-fair-redistribution-of-football-revenues/

Incidentally Joe Pigott appear as to have been proven correct to turn down a relegation threatened championship club in January and hold out for something better in summer. Reportedly about to join Premier league bound Watford increasing his salary sixfold.

The solidarity payments will be higher next season as the second year parachute money that would have been due to Norwich and Watford (plus Bournemouth if they win the play offs) will be shared between the rest of the Championship clubs.

• @Shev said:
    I think a better use of the funds would have been paying for optometrist appointments for all second tier refs and linesmen before the start of the season.

Fixed that for you. I have to imagine that's what the other teams in this division were doing this year.

• @drcongo said:

@Shev said:
    I think a better use of the funds would have been paying for optometrist appointments for all second tier refs and linesmen before the start of the season.

Fixed that for you. I have to imagine that's what the other teams in this division were doing this year.

Joking aside at times I’ve felt I’m watching a fixed game

• Clearly our long term sustainable future of our club is the number one imperative but this is the time of year when we all look back and wonder what if . Could we have done more to stay up? Spent some extra money as suggested by @aloysius in January. Not invested in a B team ( wouldn't have discovered Mehmeti ) and spent on first team players. Should we have assembled our squad earlier before the season started.We were slow getting players. Did that play some part in our 7 opening games losing sequence. As I suggested at the start of the season not to give Bayo and Bloomfield playing contracts and use that money on new players ( received a bit of interesting feedback on that !!). Not sure we have unfortunately gained much value on the pitch from these club legends this year. Should Ainsworth have tried the system he has played for the last few games, earlier in the season? Played Stockdale earlier in the season. Taff and Uche available for more of the season. Some better refereeing decisions.

Lots of what ifs and there's probably plenty more but unfortunately nobody has a crystal ball. I do know the team and management gave it their all and I am immensely proud of them. One thing I am certain of ,is that we are going into next season with the best squad we have ever had .

• I really admire your stance on Bayo. It takes strength of character to stick to a point of view that's been proved wrong so often and so completely. I'm not sure i could manage it.

• @floyd said:
    I really admire your stance on Bayo. It takes strength of character to stick to a point of view that's been proved wrong so often and so completely. I'm not sure i could manage it.

I’m only talking about this season for Bayo. He has been immense previously. One of our best signings ever. However not sure I’ve been proved wrong so often and so completely this season with only one goal as a return.

• Personally I think you are under-estimating both the contribution Bayo and Matt Bloomfield have made on and off the pitch this season and the value of WWFC team spirit and the impact there would have been on it if those players having been such a crucial part of reaching this level had been denied the opportunity to be part of our Championship season.

Its all opinions though.

• I know correlation isn't causation, but most of our points this season have come when he's been in the matchday squad.

• If only Gwyneth Paltrow had chosen to persuade Gareth to ditch Bayo and Bloomfield for Joe Piggott, get Stocko in earlier, charmed the refs and fully outlined her Plan B we would be sitting pretty in mid-table with a place in the FA Cup Final. Probably.

• It would definitely have helped to have had our best goalkeeper in goal all season, to be fair

• @micra said:
    I vaguely recall the figure of £250,000 being quoted for repair of the Frank Adams roof. Somehow doesn’t sound quite as exorbitant now if, as I assume, we have a few million in the bank. Relaying the pitch this summer will be another major expense.

This is a very good point, and shows how far we've come by virtue of new ownership and a season in the Championship. I remember people (rightly) being very concerned that this cost would near bankrupt the club when we were under trust ownership.

• I'll give you that one @eric_plant :smile:

• I’m waiting patiently for you to give me one @Wendoverman ??

• @OxfordBlue said:

@micra said:
    I vaguely recall the figure of £250,000 being quoted for repair of the Frank Adams roof. Somehow doesn’t sound quite as exorbitant now if, as I assume, we have a few million in the bank. Relaying the pitch this summer will be another major expense.

This is a very good point, and shows how far we've come by virtue of new ownership and a season in the Championship. I remember people (rightly) being very concerned that this cost would near bankrupt the club when we were under trust ownership.

I seem to remember that Rob Couhig said that the latest engineering report on the roof did not flag it up as needing repair in the immediate future.

• AS Eric Morecambe used to say @micra there's no answer to that.

• If they could patch it up (or do whatever else may be needed) to prevent an inch of cold water accumulating at our feet in Block Q Row A from time to time, I (and tens of other STHs) would be very pleased.

• Give me sunshine, sunshine.

• Once you take away t> @micra said:

I’m waiting patiently for you to give me one @Wendoverman ??

Someone get the Kenneth Williams ooh matron meme out

• Can we start talking about politics again...this thread has taken a very strange turn.

• @mooneyman said:

The solidarity payments will be higher next season as the second year parachute money that would have been due to Norwich and Watford (plus Bournemouth if they win the play offs) will be shared between the rest of the Championship clubs.

Sure I read somewhere it was being shared by the Premier League clubs

• @micra said:
    If they could patch it up (or do whatever else may be needed) to prevent an inch of cold water accumulating at our feet in Block Q Row A from time to time, I (and tens of other STHs) would be very pleased.

@micra, Trevor Stroud has just said in the Trust meeting that drainage has been improved in the Frank Adams footwell, so they just need to see how that goes next season. The problem is caused by condensation, and by wind blowing the rain in, rather than a leaky roof, he said. As for the roof, the annual Structural Engineers Report for the stadium will be published shortly, so it remains to be seen if the roof is recorded as a problem.

• the thought of micra waiting for Wendoverman to give him one has put me off my dinner

• Many thanks, @Steve_Peart, for that information. The late John Goldsworthy told me many years ago that the problem was condensation but I could never fathom how so much water could collect in one fairly small space simply as a result of condensation. Around the same time, duckboards were placed in the front row footwell and proved very effective.

I assume the recent work to improve drainage does not involve drilling holes. We don’t want Executive Box holders to have to don sou’westers!

Thanks again and I look forward to seeing the annual Structural Engineers Report.

• Hope you managed to banish that ghastly image @LX1 and are now pleasantly wined and dined.

• @davecz said:

@floyd said:
    I really admire your stance on Bayo. It takes strength of character to stick to a point of view that's been proved wrong so often and so completely. I'm not sure i could manage it.

I’m only talking about this season for Bayo. He has been immense previously. One of our best signings ever. However not sure I’ve been proved wrong so often and so completely this season with only one goal as a return.

It's interesting that Bayo was injured/unavailable for all our seven match losing run at the start of the season. We only actually started picking up points when he returned to the team.