Skip to content

Match day thread: Cardiff

Comments

• Oh and if only Devc's team above had turned out for Cardiff on Saturday (Supermac in goal?) we might still be in the with a chance. (Douglas-Home on the bench...probably last chance for him at his age)

• @drcongo said:
    Surely VAR would want to have a look at the whole war criminal thing there though @DevC ?

VAR just gives the facts, it is for the referee to make the judgments on those facts.
    VAR in this case would surely show that in this tackle no law had been broken and that anyway the player committing the tackle was Bush not the supporting player Blair. The ref I think would conclude that the tackle was ill-advised but not a sending off offence.

I would like to think most dispassionate fans would fairly conclude that one bad tackle does not over shadow an otherwise outstanding match performance. You would certainly like to think that his own team's fans would hold that opinion.

• 1,Thatcher
    2, Cameron and Osborne horror show
    3, Boris

• It’s safe to say that the more media scrutiny (mainstream and social) the worse the political figure is / appears. Whether that’s fair or true or subjective I don’t know. Personally I still feel Blair got off lightly.

• Not sure what all this has to do with Cardiff match-day.

• edited April 2021

Bloody norma, seeing Thatcher ranked so high for "economy" is like seeing Hitler ranked high for "unifying a nation"

• @Cyclops said:
    Not sure what all this has to do with Cardiff match-day.

As someone who has been criticised on several occasions for derailing a thread, I have to agree.

• Thatcher is by far and away the worst prime minister in my lifetime. The Britain that she created was not one I ever wanted to be associated with.

Since her we have had the politicians and Prime Ministers we as an (English) nation deserve.

The only PM I have any time for was Gordon Brown. He made plenty of mistakes as Chancellor but actually showed real leadership during the financial crisis.

I would also wager a bet that Priti Patel may trump May as the worst Home Secretary in history

• The match thread was so depressing @glasshalffull @Cyclops we needed to be reminded of appalling political leaders of our times...! :smile:

• @bookertease said:
    Thatcher is by far and away the worst prime minister in my lifetime. The Britain that she created was not one I ever wanted to be associated with.

Since her we have had the politicians and Prime Ministers we as an (English) nation deserve.

The only PM I have any time for was Gordon Brown. He made plenty of mistakes as Chancellor but actually showed real leadership during the financial crisis.

I would also wager a bet that Priti Patel may trump May as the worst Home Secretary in history

That's a good shout on Priti Patel - she seems to be close to the complete package.

I recognise the legitimate criticisms of Thatcher but would add that there were not many who were at the time proud to be associated with the country of the three day week and perpetual strikes and discontent that she took on and, in large part, stabilised.

• Actually Wendoverman, I think the Cardiff thread has been excellent till this diversion. I was heartened to see that the majority of posters have taken a positive line on our season and seem so optimistic about our future prospects.

• edited April 2021

The ‘Peter Principle’ I believe- getting promoted beyond ones natural competence level, most Prime Ministers seem to confirm that!

• @DevC said:

If we have Wilson, Heath, Callaghan, Thatcher, Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron, May, Johnson.

that's the start of an horrendous squad for next season ...

• @ChasHarps said:
    1,Thatcher
    2, Cameron and Osborne horror show
    3, Boris

I’d have Thatcher at 1, Boris at 2 and then Cameron. However Boris is still on the pitch and may yet take top spot.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Any opportunity to berate our current and former prime ministers and cabinet members should be willingly taken.

Admittedly a match day thread against Cardiff is a slightly bizarre place to do but don’t let that stop anyone who wants to.

And of course anyone who wishes to praise our current and former prime ministers, etc is welcome to do so

• Intrigued why fame specifically breaks politics down to British politics.
    Would world politics be more valid?

• @bookertease said:
    Any opportunity to berate our current and former prime ministers and cabinet members should be willingly taken.

Admittedly a match day thread against Cardiff is a slightly bizarre place to do but don’t let that stop anyone who wants to.

And of course anyone who wishes to praise our current and former prime ministers, etc is welcome to do so

It has got a feel of the dark web about it. Anonymous people discussing topics completely outside the normal scope of the forum with code words and familiar phrases with known meanings.

Or it could just be another in a long line of @DevC thread derailings. Some people are just rule breakers.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@bookertease said:
    Any opportunity to berate our current and former prime ministers and cabinet members should be willingly taken.

It has got a feel of the dark web about it. Anonymous people discussing topics completely outside the normal scope of the forum with code words and familiar phrases with known meanings.

Or it could just be another in a long line of @DevC thread derailings. Some people are just rule breakers.

Do you spend much time on the dark web?

• @Malone said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@bookertease said:

Is that the Facebook group?

• @Malone said:

@bookertease said:

From time to time. Doesn't everyone?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Malone said:

@bookertease said:

From time to time. Doesn't everyone?

I'm hoping you're confusing deep web and dark web.

• You’ve got to get your kalashnikovs and PCP from somewhere, what with the shops closed and all.

What’s Righty supposed to do?

• @glasshalffull said:
    Actually Wendoverman, I think the Cardiff thread has been excellent till this diversion. I was heartened to see that the majority of posters have taken a positive line on our season and seem so optimistic about our future prospects.

I think it’s fair to say that whilst we may be disappointed as fans to get relegated there is a massive amount of pragmatism, optimism and unity in what’s been achieved and what can be achieved. This comes from the top and is further endorsement of GA and how he has transformed this club from top to bottom.
    Contrast this if we had rolled the dice and bought in a load of expensive new players and ended up with the same result.

• It would take a change of ownership, not just manager, for expensive players to be brought in. The emphasis is going to continue to be the identification, recruitment and development (into expensive players, perhaps) of talented youngsters. Witness the emerging ‘B’ squad players and the signing this week of Chris Forino.

• May getting off very lightly here, her red lines backed up by the enemy of the people drivel and the hostile environment will have lead to untold harm for many.
    And seriously - How do you make people feel that Johnson is a better serious option than yourself. That is probably her biggest "achievement"
    Cardiff away though, looking forward to anywhere away or home. Roll on pre-season. After the miracle escape of course.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@glasshalffull said:
    Actually Wendoverman, I think the Cardiff thread has been excellent till this diversion. I was heartened to see that the majority of posters have taken a positive line on our season and seem so optimistic about our future prospects.

I think it’s fair to say that whilst we may be disappointed as fans to get relegated there is a massive amount of pragmatism, optimism and unity in what’s been achieved and what can be achieved. This comes from the top and is further endorsement of GA and how he has transformed this club from top to bottom.
    Contrast this if we had rolled the dice and bought in a load of expensive new players and ended up with the same result.

How about contrasting it with the mood of wild jubilation and gratitude if we'd rolled the dice and bought in one or two more players and ended up with six or seven more points and stayed up on the last day of the season?

• Or more likely rolled the dice, failed to come up with a six, still got relegated, created financial issues for the future and ended up like Yeovil at the wrong end of the Conference.
    Got it right for me.

• You would have been happy to risk being another Bury then @aloysius?

• 20 million to put your knackers in a rotary mower on the hope the fuse has blown.