Skip to content

Admin day

Bought new season ticket - done
Vote for player of the season - done
Moan that we haven’t signed anyone yet - still to do

Comments

• I had to go Josh Knight. Very few players even played enough to seriously rival him, and he played at a high level all season.

Honorable mentions:
    JJ
    Curtis
    Grimmer

• @Shev said:
    I had to go Josh Knight. Very few players even played enough to seriously rival him, and he played at a high level all season.

Honorable mentions:
    JJ
    Curtis
    Grimmer

I made the same choice. Plenty of names whose efforts I have admired and Josh HAS made some mistakes but he's been consistently the best player over the whole season, to my mind.

• Thompson for me all day long. Who'd have thought when we signed him as backup midfielder and emergency right back in League Two having been ostracised by Notts County, that he'd be bossing the midfield in the Championship so effectively? Gareth gets a lot of plaudits for finding hidden gems then polishing them - there's no better example of that in my opinion than Curtis Thompson.

Second place is David Wheeler - the man who was everywhere. He oozes class and effectiveness and plays with more intelligence than anyone else in the squad. If he wasn't so selfless we might have seen more of him in the glamour positions but even when doing the Bloomfield role in midfield he gets the job done better than people who've played that role all their careers.

• Curtis Thompson got my vote

• I think I’m going to go for JJ.

When we went up from League Two to League One there was concern that his lack of pace would get shown up. And at one point that really did look the case, but he stepped it up and showed what a consummate professional he truly is. He so deserved to score the winning goal at Wembley.

To then handle the step up to the Championship at the age of 34 in the way he has and along the way adjust to a change in position and fight off the challenge from Jordan Obita for his place in the team has been wonderful to watch (albeit on iFollow, unfortunately).

Of course there’s been a few tricky wingers to deal with along the way - some of which cost millions of pounds - and some more difficult games but time and again he’s been a class act.

Five goals and six assists along the way from left back/left sided defender is also a more than respectable season’s work.

• No wrong answers above. It's that time of year where it is a shame only one player can win it!

• I voted for Curtis. He’s long been one of my favourite players but even I was surprised just how good he was this season, especially the last few weeks.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Bought new season ticket - done
    Vote for player of the season - done
    Moan that we haven’t signed anyone yet - still to do

surely if you've bought a new season ticket, you need to plan the moan that your season ticket hasn't arrived yet? Preparation is everything.

• Stockdale. Since becoming number one our defence looks a totally different standard, despite regular changes of personnel.

• My choice was going to be between Thompson and Wheeler but yes JJ has been excellent for an old get who was too slow for League One!

• The player of the season vote is a tough one. There’s barely been a player not impacted by injury this season. And arguably they’ve all had dips in form as the adjustment at this level has kicked in. So I based my vote on who’s played best when selected. And for me that’s Stockdale. Oddly pre-injury it would have been Allsop. For a relegated team that makes little sense I know.

And fuming they’ve taken away our right to moan about season tickets not arriving with virtual ones.

• @TheatreOfChairs said:
    I think I’m going to go for JJ.

When we went up from League Two to League One there was concern that his lack of pace would get shown up. And at one point that really did look the case, but he stepped it up and showed what a consummate professional he truly is. He so deserved to score the winning goal at Wembley.

To then handle the step up to the Championship at the age of 34 in the way he has and along the way adjust to a change in position and fight off the challenge from Jordan Obita for his place in the team has been wonderful to watch (albeit on iFollow, unfortunately).

Of course there’s been a few tricky wingers to deal with along the way - some of which cost millions of pounds - and some more difficult games but time and again he’s been a class act.

Five goals and six assists along the way from left back/left sided defender is also a more than respectable season’s work.

We've had a hell of a lot of likeable players in our 25+ years in the league, but he's got to be right at the top.
    Looking forward to another season at least of him in our ranks. The finance qualifications and job will have to wait a bit just yet.

• I voted for Curtis in the end, but I nearly voted for half a dozen players.

• Everyone has put an amazing amount of work in but to choose one purely on the change in form that he brought and taking nothing away from Rocky who was excellent is Stocko

• How can you vote for one player in a season like this, it has to to go to the squad, everyone has played a massive part this year, both on and off the pitch. How can you forget the noise coming from the subs and non playing staff. My vote goes to the “squad”

• I voted for Ryan Allsop - his saves kept us in the games that have led to us not going down until the last two weeks of the season. Stocko has been brilliant to maintain that position.

• Grimmer for me, mainly for his consistency and versatility across the season playing over 40 games, many out of his natural position at centre back. Really grown into a leader in this team, vocally it really comes across watching on iFollow with empty stadiums. Another fantastic signing by GA.

Would have been Stockdale if he had played more than the late 15 game spell though, he's been outstanding since coming in.

• I went for Wheeler...but yes @DJWYC14 Grimmer was another possible and McCarthy actually...hard one this season.

• Grimmer for me.

• Josh Knight just pipped Curtis for me.

• edited April 2021

@Wendoverman said:
    I went for Wheeler...but yes @DJWYC14 Grimmer was another possible and McCarthy actually...hard one this season.

Obviously fully respect yours and McCarthy's efforts and I think he'll be a star player next season, but how can he possibly be in the mixer when he spent 75% of the season out of the team?

He had some really awkward games at left back, and has only really got a good run going this last 8 games or so.

• edited April 2021

Honourable mentions all round but over the whole season Knight seems the right answer for me. Few players have been at their best for as much of the season. Played two positions, both very well. Goals , tackles and passing.

• The toughest player of the season for a long while for me.

So many players had strong runs of form for such short period.
    Adeniran and Uche head that list, and surely would have been right in the mix if they'd played more.

So it's probably between Knight and Thompson, and I'd go with Thompson.

Like someone said earlier, he's gone from a seemingly odd signing as filler who could barely get on the bench to start with in league 2, to being an absolutely critical player in a championship outfit.
    It's a mad progression.

• @Malone said:
    The toughest player of the season for a long while for me.

So many players had strong runs of form for such short period.
    Adeniran and Uche head that list, and surely would have been right in the mix if they'd played more.

So it's probably between Knight and Thompson, and I'd go with Thompson.

Like someone said earlier, he's gone from a seemingly odd signing as filler who could barely get on the bench to start with in league 2, to being an absolutely critical player in a championship outfit.
    It's a mad progression.

Not his fault but for me he has missed a few too many games with injuries and took a while to be back up to his best. No doubt one of our best players right now and our best ever signings given the circumstances.

• @Malone are you part of the Gasroom mafia? And have I upset you? :wink:

• Do you know the identity of the Gasroom's Capo dei capi @Wendoverman?

• Ita such a tricky one this year, early season I'd go Grimmer, end of season Stockdale, but overall for just constant performances over the season I go Knight.

Having said all that it still seems harsh on JJ, Wheeler and Thompson

• @mooneyman said:
    Do you know the identity of the Gasroom's Capo dei capi @Wendoverman?

I'm no rat...

• Goal of the season vote is live as well. This was a much easier choice!

• Another vote for Grimmer here. He's such a consistent performer and has looked as comfortable at this level as anyone else. Knight and Thompson very close behind.

I'd also agree with whoever said above that Stockdale would've walked this if he'd played more this season. His goalkeeping has been excellent, but it's his distribution that I feel has made the biggest difference to us over the last couple of months.