Skip to content

Match day thread: Cardiff

Comments

• @EwanHoosaami said:

I clearly did. I honestly thought that Bloomers was a player more easing into this role under GA/Dobbo tutorship. It was this thought process that led me to ask the question if the club could afford another coach. Given the "trimming" of the number of players allowed then possibly he would have to give up his playing role, which then still leads me to question the affordability of another full time role in coaching, but maybe a part time 2-3 day a week opportunity beckons?

Isn't he still doing some coaching at Ipswich?

• Two strikers I'd like us to target as a partner or alternative option to Uche next season. Dion Charles or Joe Piggot. Both would probably command a small fee but both now proven goalscorers at L1 level in struggling sides. Sign one of those and I'd be confident next season.

• @Wendoverman said:

@davecz said:
    @mooneyman - perhaps my views on Bayo are not a minority view as you seem to suggest a few days ago.

Indeed in the wake of our glorious promotion and sad relegation it is vital that it is established which Gasroomers were 'right' and which ones were 'wrong' before the Summer speculation on incoming and outgoing players and incoming and outgoing management can begin again.

I bet everyone would claim to be right.
    I feared the worst after game 1 against arguably the worst other team at home and we did go down. Whereas the still xx games to go gang can also say they were right as we won't have gone down by that many points.

• Akinfenwa was quoted in several articles last week saying "Exclusive out here, I think I'm going to play on one more year. Then look, you know what, it's funny. We're talking to a couple of producers in LA, there's a couple of movie projects.“

So sounds like he’s going to play on unless this current injury is of particular significance.

• Bayo’s retirement plans are bigger than being Wycombe Wanderers stateside ambassador. He said he’s playing one more year, there’s no reason to believe it won’t be here.

• Ha ha, yeah quite

"Here's your options mate....the latest Marvel blockbuster, a WWE contract, or a Wycombe - Tranmere post match Q+A"

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Two strikers I'd like us to target as a partner or alternative option to Uche next season. Dion Charles or Joe Piggot. Both would probably command a small fee but both now proven goalscorers at L1 level in struggling sides. Sign one of those and I'd be confident next season.

Muskwe is out of contract at Leicester City in the summer. I think Ainsworth should be looking to sign him and pair him with Uche.

• As he is under 24 we'd have to pay a fee, although I have no idea how much that would be these days - could be reasonably pricey considering he's been at Leicester since age 9 and he's been playing regularly in the Championship this year.

• edited April 2021

@thedieharder said:

@DJWYC14 said:
    Two strikers I'd like us to target as a partner or alternative option to Uche next season. Dion Charles or Joe Piggot. Both would probably command a small fee but both now proven goalscorers at L1 level in struggling sides. Sign one of those and I'd be confident next season.

Muskwe is out of contract at Leicester City in the summer. I think Ainsworth should be looking to sign him and pair him with Uche.

I bet Gareth is already well away on his plans for next season.
    Muskwe could do a lot worse than us for sure. But can he do better. Let's hope not.

But I also look forward to Kashket having more opportunities in a front 2, something he's not really had for years here.
    Samuel comes back into play as well in league one, another player arguably we've hindered playing as a solo striker in the past. A real thankless task.

• Even given that it is showbiz WWE with a dodgy knee does not sound a goer.

• We wouldn’t have to pay a fee for Muskwe if Leicester release him though.

He’s 22 now. I’d be surprised if they think he’s likely to cut it in the PL.

Adeniran (22) and Knight (23) out of contract also. Will be interesting to see what their clubs decide to do.

• As a Londoner, Dennis Adeniran might fancy a return south. I believe Admiral Muskwe and Josh Knight played together for Leicester U23s and both hail from the Leicester area so I like to think they might both sign and carshare. Less than two hours - probably much less at their age!

• @Chris said:
    As he is under 24 we'd have to pay a fee, although I have no idea how much that would be these days - could be reasonably pricey considering he's been at Leicester since age 9 and he's been playing regularly in the Championship this year.

Is that not true only if their current club offer them an equal or better contract to their current one?

• All three have done well in a struggling side in the Championship. Unlikely that any will be offered a new contract by Premier team (Dennis having best chance perhaps) but surely all three will be aspiring to finding a Championship club rather than dropping down to Lg1??

• @drcongo said:

@Chris said:
    As he is under 24 we'd have to pay a fee, although I have no idea how much that would be these days - could be reasonably pricey considering he's been at Leicester since age 9 and he's been playing regularly in the Championship this year.

Is that not true only if their current club offer them an equal or better contract to their current one?

I believe so, so if Leicester release him then he should be available free.

• @DevC said:
    All three have done well in a struggling side in the Championship. Unlikely that any will be offered a new contract by Premier team (Dennis having best chance perhaps) but surely all three will be aspiring to finding a Championship club rather than dropping down to Lg1??

Or not, if they've talked to Fred or McCarthy.

• As always there would potentially be advantages and disadvantages to all offers received. We should never underestimate the attraction of the team spirit we can offer here (although I guess if I was a player I would wait just to check that GA will be here next season before signing for that) and all three would likely play most weeks - they may not in a Championship club.

In truth though given that all three have played and done well in the Championship, I would have thought the attractions of playing at a higher level, getting paid quite a bit more money and possibly not having to relocate if say Peterborough came in for Knight would probably have me reaching for a pen to sign their contract rather than ours.

• But Mr DevC, your loyalty to the Wanderers is on par with Mr Gove's to Boris !!

• The players concerned have loyalty to themselves and their families far more than any club.

Trust me even Gove has more loyalty and respect for Johnson than I do. Worst PM in my lifetime IMHO -even worse than May.

• May isn’t even in the bottom three for me.

• Straying a long way from Cardiff v Wycombe football match but I am intrigued Chris.
    If we start mid sixties, we have Wilson, Heath, Callaghan, Thatcher, Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron, May, Johnson.

I think my bottom three would be (in worst order) would be Johnson, May, Heath. Who have you included to move May to (at best) fourth bottom.

• Cameron surely is bottom equal with Boris. Most of our problems stem from him? May had an impossible hand dealt her.

• My bottom three in order would be May, Bozzer and Blair. Bozzer just shades May for entertainment value only.

• Thatcher bottom, now and forever: the repellent, corrupt scum currently in charge are merely her spiritual children, only without her backbone.

• Thatcher in all possible universes. It's a close-run thing after that with Cameron, Blair and Johnson all vying for the other two spots, May just outside the running because she's already walked the Worst Home Secretary in Our or Anyone's Lifetimes league, and Home Secretary is where she committed the vast majority of her horrors.

• Taking them for what they achieved ignoring personal political bias, I would have (top to bottom)

1 Blair - Minimum wage, peace in NI, investment in services
    2 Thatcher Economy
    3 Wilson Pragmatism

big gap

4 Major - started peace in NI
    5 Brown - coped with financial crisis
    6 Cameron - gay marriage, socially liberal, fucked up out Eu membership
    7 Callaghan - ineffective

big gap

8 Heath - achieved virtually nothing, three day week
    9 May - backroom no 2 but never a no 1

big gap

10 Johnson - Liar

• This is going to end well.

• Surely VAR would want to have a look at the whole war criminal thing there though @DevC ?

• Johnson and Thatcher clearly the worst. Then Cameron 3rd bottom.

• Johnson is by far the worst for me. I know that from Thatcher down the amount of actual political vision (agree with it or not) will and skill to deliver has reduced with every incumbant...and Cameron was the lowest of them for me (agree May was a hideous cop budget lashing uncaring Home Sec) until Covid Boris. Electing an openly lying, grafting, corrupt incompetent with no attention to detail, people skills or even interest in anything but money, power and the opportunities that might present for Little Boris is bumping along the bottom for me. How he manages to appear to be a straight talking 'man of the people' to former Labour voters in the North...which makes me feel a bit nauseous...is beyond me.