Skip to content

Match day thread: Cardiff

Comments

• Such a shame we couldn't nick a draw today but there's absolutely no shame in getting relegated with this points total. The way we've played since February has been a revelation and the whole squad and management team can hold their heads up high at the way they've turned things round and battled in these final weeks.

We've finally settled on a formation that plays to our strengths and will mean - if we stick with it - we should be a real handful next season. We do need to invest in a second striker, though I'd be confident of signing Muskwe in the summer and assume that's why he's getting the nod ahead of Kashket and Samuel at the moment.

If we could get Adeniran as well that would mean we should be able to play two of him, Thompson and Gape reasonably regularly. Then with McCleary, Wheeler and Mehmeti competing for the playmaker role we're well set. I also think Horgan will (and probably should) leave - we're just not great fits for each other.

The only name on the teamsheet who doesn't look particularly comfortable in this new formation is Grimmer, but he's one of our best players, so it'll be a shame if we don't get to see so much of him next season (assuming we stick to three central defenders with a first choice of JJ, Stewart and Tafazolli).

I think we do need to sign one more right wing back for cover for McCarthy. And it'll be interesting to see what happens with the goalkeeping position. Can't see us offering both Stockdale and Allsop contracts - it wouldn't surprise me if Stockdale did the selfless thing and moved on so that Allsop could stay. Will be a sad day though given what he's shown us this season.

• Will be interesting what Ainsworth does with the goalkeepers as they are all out contract. Cannot see us offering new contract to Charles. I expect Horgan to stay . Blooms to be taken on as coach. Shame we couldn’t stay up because we may have got Knight but relegation probably scuppered that. Posters already know my views on Bayo. Still believe we have the nucleus of a team to challenge next year. Proud of what they have achieved this season.

• Stockdale surely gets the nod if we have to pick from one of the two.
    He took ages to get a proper run, but now he's in, we can see the quality he possesses.

• I think the GK situation depends on how close Curtis Anderson is to bring a genuine number two. I can see us offering Stocko a new deal while Anderson develops for another couple of years, maybe getting in a loan keeper if he’s not ready this season.

It’s a shame for Rocky, but having two keepers on a first team wage doesn’t really make sense.

• Can’t see Gareth letting Stockdale go in a million years. He’s been an absolute revelation and has rediscovered himself as the keeper he once was.

I think he’ll be between the sticks at AP for at least the next two seasons. That would take him to 37 but goalkeepers do tend to play on longer.

Unfortunate for Allsop but also the nature of the position.

• edited April 2021

The League One squad limit is set to be only 20 next season - the PFA have said they'll consider legal action if that doesn't get changed, but that's what it's set to be as thing stand. It's harsh, but with that in mind we've only got two 'free' spaces - assuming Stockdale renews (he's said he wants to stay).

Even if Blooms retires, we'll have used 17/20 spots - and if Andre Burley, who Gaz has spoken highly of, renews, that goes up to 18. So there will have to be some more departures to allow us to bring in more than a couple of 'senior' players.

Hopefully the limit gets increased to 22, as it has been in League One this season, but I don't know how likely that is.

• I prefer Stocko but I don’t see any reason why we can’t keep both

• Stockdale played an incredible part in our run of improved results since Feb. It is no coincidence that our results have been much better with him in the team. He is a must for next season if we are to compete at the top of Div 1.

We need to get another striker alongside Uche and we need to sign Mehmeti on a long term contract.

Another centre back to replace Knight would be great and I know this is a long shot but bringing back Alfie Mawson would be a great move, especially if we could get him fit enough to play most of the season.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    The League One squad limit is set to be only 20 next season - the PFA have said they'll consider legal action if that doesn't get changed, but that's what it's set to be as thing stand. It's harsh, but with that in mind we've only got two 'free' spaces - assuming Stockdale renews (he's said he wants to stay).

Even if Blooms retires, we'll have used 17/20 spots - and if Andre Burley, who Gaz has spoken highly of, renews, that goes up to 18. So there will have to be some more departures to allow us to bring in more than a couple of 'senior' players.

Hopefully the limit gets increased to 22, as it has been in League One this season, but I don't know how likely that is.

These are the rules on the EFL website. Basically any club relegated from the Championship gets to have a squad of 22 players for their first season after relegation.

Also worth noting that any U21 players we get in on loan don’t count towards that 22 player limit (while they do count towards the 25 player limit in the Championship).

43.9.1 Clubs shall be permitted to name up to a maximum number of Players in their Squad
    List based on the following provisions:

(a) in respect of Championship Clubs, 25 Players of which a minimum of 8 must be a Home Grown Player;

(b) in respect of League One and Two Clubs:
    (i) in Season 2020/21, 22 Players of which a minimum of 8 must be a Home Grown Player; and
    (ii) in Season 2021/22 and each subsequent Season, 20 Players of which a minimum of 8 must be a Home Grown Player.

The limit set out in Regulation 43.9.1(b)(ii) increases to 22 for any Club relegated into League One, for its first Season following relegation.

43.9.2 The following Players do not need to be included in the Squad List to be eligible to play in League Matches:

(a) in respect of Championship Clubs, any Under 21 Player (save for any Under 21 Player who is registered with the Club on a Temporary Loan Transfer); and

(b) in respect of League One Clubs and League Two Clubs, any Under 21 Players.

• Next season I think we will rip league 1 apart. We have the manager, the owners and the players to do it. The chances of us staying up this season on our budget were zero. I thought we’d be down by March. We “went down” late April. I shall have £50 on us up again next season

• @Manboobs said:
    Next season I think we will rip league 1 apart. We have the manager, the owners and the players to do it. The chances of us staying up this season on our budget were zero. I thought we’d be down by March. We “went down” late April. I shall have £50 on us up again next season

100% agree a couple of good signings in particular striker will be top two. The experience of this season will be so important most relegated signs are relegated with a big cloud over them whilst we are positive.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Stockdale played an incredible part in our run of improved results since Feb. It is no coincidence that our results have been much better with him in the team. He is a must for next season if we are to compete at the top of Div 1.

We need to get another striker alongside Uche and we need to sign Mehmeti on a long term contract.

Another centre back to replace Knight would be great and I know this is a long shot but bringing back Alfie Mawson would be a great move, especially if we could get him fit enough to play most of the season.

Tafazolli and Stewart is a powerful combo, but if we have the intention of pursuing 3 at the back we'd without doubt need another strong defender. JJ and Grimmer will be options in those positions, but you'd without doubt need at least 5 central defenders in your squad.

Gaz seems to like Phillips, so he could be the backup, and you wonder if he'd suit a three more than a two.

Mawson is surely dream world talk. We didn't have a chance of him this season, let alone down a division. On sheer wages if nothing else.

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    I prefer Stocko but I don’t see any reason why we can’t keep both

I think the reason is the squad limit. Assuming we are only allowed 22 players is it sensible to have one of them sitting doing nothing, particularly if we are still allowed to bring in a loanee keeper in the event of injury. The restricted squad limit may also influence any decision on the retension of Bayo and/or Bloomfield and certainly Charles?

• Charles has had one almost miraculous return from almost certain release, and that came off for us brilliantly.
    But he was injured that time. This time he's (presumably) been fit most of the season and deemed not quite up to it.

As always though, Gaz will make the right call I'm sure. Not many we can honestly look back on and say he boobed.

• Can’t be too disappointed given that relegation was always a strong possibility, especially after such a tricky start.

The squad seems to have developed nicely and there is plenty of cause for optimism going into next season.

Sadly the whole thing has been a bit hollow for me. No fault of anyone at the club and it shouldn’t taint the achievement of reaching this level. But watching at home and with nobody at the games has made it difficult to get excited about in truth.

• Another brave effort. So proud of the players, management and club as a whole. Roll on next season - we can really be a force in League 1 next year.

The one thing I did want to say that I haven’t seen mentioned earlier is how absolutely fantastic David Stockdale was today. He absolutely exuded calm, took a number a crosses with comfort and control, and his distribution was excellent. He is absolutely key to secure for next season, not just for his undoubted ability, but also for his personality. A true leader and will be vital for any promotion challenge next season. I think someone mentioned it recently, but he could be the best keeper we’ve had since Martin Taylor.

• edited April 2021

Looking forward to next season: Bayo being injured for yeasterdays' game came as a bit of an eyebrow raiser for me. This casts a big shadow of doubt over re-signing next season. Lower level or not, I just can't see that his body can take anymore, regardless of the level of football. I can see him taking a bow now from playing, his body and long term health will be taken into serious consideration, as such, Stockdale is a must for next season. Stocko is the nearest in character plus an excellent keeper. Darius, I can see going as he again is too far down the injury road to bring back. Blooms I think will be a consideration to go out to new pastures, (can the club afford another coach?), maybe a L2 club nearer home, Col U? Pattison is a doubt too, unless the drop in level & GA/Dobbo consider he can step up, which might save him. Muskwee, Knight & Adenerin, I believe, will be looking to return on loan/sign for clubs in the Championship. Horgan will stay as his contract expiry is June 2022.
    These views of course are made from a completely dispassionate/accountancy pov & when looking from across the big pond, business decisions are easier to make!

• edited April 2021

Re: Bayo, I didn't get involved in the discussion post Bristol City because, alas, it's another victory I missed. But my strong view is that he should take note of the example of Tony Blair, whose exit plan in 2007 followed a strategy laid out by an adviser channeling Judy Garland: "He needs to go with the crowds wanting more. He should be the star who won’t even play that last encore."

In other words, don't be like our last two captains Paul Hayes and Adam el Abd and stay on past when your body can cope, and see your glistening reputation get slightly tarnished.

But Bayo is an asset that can be used in other ways. I want to write more over the summer about my thoughts on what the Couhigs' longer term strategy is for the club but this last week's Super League furore has been quite instructive in that regard. In short, I think they see great profit in building up the club's fanbase in the US (hence the Worldwide Wanderers marketing, sponsorship by Louisiana, use of American sporting terms like final third, constant hyping us up as a big club while disregarding our history). To do this properly they need to employ a full time brand ambassador who - post Corona restrictions - can tour the States, do public appearances, media hits etc. Who better to do this than Bayo? It also means he'll be in the right place to start his Hollywood / wrestling career, which can only lead to further cross promotion...

• Have to say I agree with @EwanHoosaami and @aloysius above, only difference I think is that Blooms will stay, playing or not

• Does anyone know if there are parachute payments back to league 1

• @mooneyman - perhaps my views on Bayo are not a minority view as you seem to suggest a few days ago.

• Yep. @EwanHoosaami did you miss that Bloomfield has been a coach for a year or more already? Credit to him that he's still got on the pitch i suppose.

Bayo has too many London interests to be a full time Wycombe ambassador abroad. Also we're not that big time to need such a role..yet!

• But my strong view is that he should take note of the example of Tony Blair

I really hope Bayo doesn’t start an illegal religious war based on the lies of a single informant.

• I really hope Bayo will not be the only man in 50 years to prevent Colchester getting promotion (three times) and yet still get abused by his side.

Bayo deserves a better fate imho (as for that matter does Blair).

• @drcongo said:

But my strong view is that he should take note of the example of Tony Blair

I really hope Bayo doesn’t start an illegal religious war based on the lies of a single informant.

That did make me smile.

• @Malone said:
    Yep. @EwanHoosaami did you miss that Bloomfield has been a coach for a year or more already? Credit to him that he's still got on the pitch i suppose.

Bayo has too many London interests to be a full time Wycombe ambassador abroad. Also we're not that big time to need such a role..yet!

I clearly did. I honestly thought that Bloomers was a player more easing into this role under GA/Dobbo tutorship. It was this thought process that led me to ask the question if the club could afford another coach. Given the "trimming" of the number of players allowed then possibly he would have to give up his playing role, which then still leads me to question the affordability of another full time role in coaching, but maybe a part time 2-3 day a week opportunity beckons?

• Didn’t think that many people were wanting more of Blair but he’s certainly cashed in in the meantime.

• @davecz said:
    @mooneyman - perhaps my views on Bayo are not a minority view as you seem to suggest a few days ago.

Indeed in the wake of our glorious promotion and sad relegation it is vital that it is established which Gasroomers were 'right' and which ones were 'wrong' before the Summer speculation on incoming and outgoing players and incoming and outgoing management can begin again.

• If we can afford it and if both want to stay given the number of league and cup games we will have in League One I would keep Stockdale and Rocky as one and two myself. Goalies can often go on and on if they stay injury free!

• @davecz said:
    @mooneyman - perhaps my views on Bayo are not a minority view as you seem to suggest a few days ago.

I am not convinced that you would have over 50% of gasroomers agreeing with your view on Bayo. He has had as much influence on the unity of the squad off the pitch as well as on it.

However, if it is the end, what a way to go scoring your first ever Championship goal with the last kick of your 20 year professional career.