Skip to content

Match day thread: Bristol City

Comments

• The scenes afterwards were as good as anything I’ve seen in my years watching Wycombe.

Believe!

• How many of these special moments are this team going to give us? Moments like this should be once a decade, if that! This team produces them on a yearly basis.

Absolutely gutted when Bentley produced that saved to deny Bayo what would have been a quite fantastic individual goal. Of course, should've known we were saving ourselves for an even more dramatic ending. Just incredible!

• edited April 2021

Even if we don't score again this season, that goal will still make me happy every time I think of it.

• Would be so much better if we did away with all this relegation and promotion stuff. I’d have been able to have actually watched Bayo’s first goal safe in the knowledge that it didn’t really matter instead of turning off iFollow and counting the vibrations of notifications before I dared look at the final result.

• This team never gives up. Who would have believed after the first 7 games, that we are taking this down to the last three games to stay up. Incredible. So proud of this team.

• Bayo scoring was definitely that one wish we all had whatever else happened.

• Oh, let’s also not forget that moment when he was racing for the ball faster than I’ve ever seen him move, with a heavily strapped knee, and actually limping at pace.

• Group hugs and astounded laughs by the players at the full time whistle at AP after late drama is becoming sooooo cliche over the past few years. This scriptwriter needs to be grounded in reality. In the REAL world, you don't see all these late equalizers and winners!

• One of my Great All Time Heroes

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Stewie63 said:
    Mickey Bell, your boys took one hell of a beating.

Jenson Button, Jack Leach, John Cleese, Tony Robinson, Jonathan Pearce, Banksy, The Wurzels. Can you hear me The Wurzels? Your boys took a helluva beating!

• Just watched the YouTube highlights. God I love this club so much.

• Absolutely brilliant. What a team we are blessed to watch - a joy to see such a strong bond remains in the squad. You can feel the connection even in the far removed view from iFollow. And so, so happy for Bayo. What an amazing person he is - he must remain at the club in any capacity he wants, an invaluable asset as a man, a leader, and a mentor to the younger players.

It’s still a very long shot, but to still be in with a chance after 43 games and nearly into May is a fantastic achievement. GA and Dobbo continue to do a brilliant job.

There have been so many ifs and buts this season, but despite everything from bad luck with injuries to horrendous refereeing decisions, had we beaten Derby at home, a game we thoroughly deserved to win (even admitted by their manager), we would be equal on points with 4th bottom with 3 games to play. Such fine margins, which considering the quality and budgets in this league, is astounding really.

Well done lads, we may be bottom, but we are all immensely proud of you.

• Just before Bayo came on he was sitting in front of me with a hot water bottle on his dodgy knee, and I don’t know what made me say it but as he took off his tracksuit I said to him ‘Tonight’s the night Bayo.’ What a man and what a team. And just to prove that I haven’t grown up yet there’s one other thing I’d like to say, ‘Take that Mr.Swann.’

• Whatever happens ..makes the season a cracker!

• Up there with the Hayes pen v exiter on a cold Tuesday night for me. Tear to the eye job.

• I was shaking with astonishment and joy for a good half hour after that.

• So, having watched the sequence leading up to the corner and penalty many times now, two things stand out to me:

1. The moment where Stockdale looked as though he was going to catch the ball at the edge of our area, but instead chested it down and booted it upfield, which quickly led to the corner being won.

2. Stockdale's shot may have been going in.

.2 does not matter any more, and we are all delighted Bayo got his goal, but I can't help imaging the potential alternate timeline where Stockdale's half volley rockets into the corner!

• We were relentless towards the end of the game. I’m so happy for everyone at the club that we’re finishing the season with a flourish . I’ve got a day off today I just might sit down with a tea and watch the game again, happy days.

• As an aside, wasn't that a peach of a move for Uches goal! From the reverse pass by Wheeler to the sublime chipped floating cross by Anis and the sheer will & force of Uche. ??

• @Shev said:
    Bold prediction: If we pull off the great escape, we are staying up next season too.

It's not even that bold.
    In the last 20 games, we're 17th on the form table.
    In the last 15 games, we're 16th
    In the last 10 games, we're 12th
    In the last 5 games, we're 4th

We really have grown into this season and it's astonishing that we're genuinely competing in The Championship with the resources we have.

• @Shev said:
    So, having watched the sequence leading up to the corner and penalty many times now, two things stand out to me:

1. The moment where Stockdale looked as though he was going to catch the ball at the edge of our area, but instead chested it down and booted it upfield, which quickly led to the corner being won.

2. Stockdale's shot may have been going in.

.2 does not matter any more, and we are all delighted Bayo got his goal, but I can't help imaging the potential alternate timeline where Stockdale's half volley rockets into the corner!

Hopefully one of the first things the Couhigs do next month is to extend Stockdale's contract. In my opinion he has become our best goalkeeper (excluding loanees) since MartinTaylor.

• Stockdale was excellent last night. No chance with the goal and it would have been a shame if we'd only got a point as BC surprisingly for a Pearson team were quite poor. Ive never considered Mick McCarthy to be that good either so hopefully another team with nowt to play for on saturday?

• Did you see Nigel Pearson's post match interview? He's such a joyless bloke. Can't imagine anyone wanting to play for him.

• He can be a bit of a grump but he had just seen his team lose in stoppage time! He’s actually a decent bloke and had some very complimentary things to say about our club.

• Given some of the criticism aimed at Ainsworth for his supposed lack of tactical acumen, great to see that the turnaround really kick started with the subs and change in formation to a back 4.

The 3 at the back has worked really well recently but things just weren't happening last night, great that we have the flexibility to change midway through a game to really influence the result.

• Thank you for the inside view @glasshalffull, it shows how difficult it is to make proper judgments from the outside perspective. I will only add that GA never seems grumpy or disheartened (in the media) following a defeat, no-matter how it's come about. We are indeed very fortunate to have such a man as our manager.

• I'm not just basing my opinion on one post match interview, but fair enough. I've never met the bloke

Comes across as a bully though, and seems the sort of man management approach that might have worked when he was a player but not any more

• The perfect excuse to revisit this...

• Should be highlighted how good Wheeler was when he came on too. Lovely pass to Mehmeti for the 1st assist, battled for headers, tackles and 50/50s across the pitch. He's played all over the place for us this season, all fairly faultlessly. We don't see the glamour-side of his game that Exeter got, because we don't play that way, but he should be regarded as one of our best.