Skip to content

Ups and Downs - L1 teams next season?

‘If’ we get relegated and end up in L1 I wondered who people on here would prefer to be in that division next season?...ie the ups and downs that will form the league.

Here’s my thoughts...(on the basis that we might be able to go to some away games, appreciate that is very much an ‘if’ but being optimistic!) Let’s assume Sheff Wed are the other side coming down with us, I’d choose that in any case as means two big games v them.

Coventry - quite bored of playing and not beating them so prefer if they stay up.

Rotherham - not fussed about playing them again and would be good if they proved they could stay up too

Birmingham - quite fancy a trip to St Andrew’s so wouldn’t mind them coming down

Huddersfield - no thanks

Derby - this would be the choice if it’s possible for them to implode and Rotherham to win their games in hand. Feel a bit robbed of a visit to Pride Park this season (amongst other great away trips of course)

LEAGUE ONE PROMOTION

Shame Hull are most likely coming straight back up, would have been a good away day

Peterborough - I’m going to be controversial... I don’t wish them any ill feeling just because of that random local journo or Adrian Durham trying to stir up reaction. Good on them being a small team and doing well this season. Realistically, can’t see Sunderland catching them or Hull in any case.

Would like to see Lincoln go up with those two in the play-offs... means Oxford don’t have any success and we keep big games v Sunderland, Pompey, Charlton, Ipswich and maybe an away day in Blackpool! I’d prefer the division to be strong with big teams rather than teams we think we “should” be able to beat because of their size, we proved in the two recent L1 seasons we can be a force at home v “big” teams.

LEAGUE ONE RELEGATION

Looks incredibly tight down there but defo want Wimbledon and Wigan to survive - primarily for the potential away days. A trip to Plough Lane especially - assume most would share that view. Not fussed about playing Northampton, Bristol Rovers, Swindon or Rochdale!

LEAGUE TWO PROMOTION
Looks very tight but probably hope for the top three to stay as it is (Cheltenham, Cambridge, Bolton) Hope Derek Adams and Morecambe fail, Tranmere should really come up (for some justice from last season) but for me, Exeter up in the play-offs for an away day that I’ve never managed to do.

The obvious answer to this is of course... “I don’t care who we play next season I’ll just be glad to go to a game again!”

Comments

• Interesting thread. As someone who can only watch from afar, I would say the following:

Relegated from Championship with Sheff Weds:
    Rotherham - I like the club, but in theory they are more beatable in L1 than other options.

Promoted from L1:
    It's going to be two of Hull, Peterborough and Sunderland anyway, and I prefer all three to go up, as they would all be tough next season. Some of the teams below them (Lincoln, Blackpool, Oxford) have the potential to slip towards midtable next season.

Relegated from L1:
    No real wishes - the bottom seven all seem to be much of a muchness for quality.

Promoted from L2:
    Cambridge and Cheltenham seem like generally nice clubs, and in theory would be prime candidates to go back down too (just in case we did slip next season)
    I don't really care besides that. Morecambe could be fun, to renew the Derek Adams rivalry, and Forest Green are a unique club.

• Championship Relegation

Sheffield Weds and Rotherham is fine. Preston would be ideal but seems unlikely.

L1 Promotion

Hull and Peterborough look as good as promoted. Portsmouth to join them.

L1 Relegation

I’d like Rochdale to stay up but seems unlikely. Given that, the current bottom four (Dale plus Northampton, Bristol Rovers, and Swindon) is fine. Really hope Wigan stay up as it is my nearest league ground.

L2 Promotion

Bolton, Tranmere, Forest Green, Morecambe in that order of preference, but at least one of Cheltenham or Cambridge look likely to go up.

• It seems almost written that Morecambe will beat Newport in the playoff final, with Derek Adams smirking at Kevin Ellison afterwards.

• I hope Morecambe dont go up, purely because of Adams

• I hope it's not optimistic to envisage going to all games next season.
    All restrictions hopefully set to be removed Late June, then we have a good 6-7 weeks before the new season.

• I think it was ok to have you with your W on. I think it is ok to get to the park to park in front of a hotel. We have a lot going on in this house that I have had been done for.

• @Gordon_Ottershaw said:
    I think it was ok to have you with your W on. I think it is ok to get to the park to park in front of a hotel. We have a lot going on in this house that I have had been done for.

@Malone describes my posts as ‘wacky’.
    Interesting to know what he makes of your latest offering @Gordon_Ottershaw !

• edited April 2021

@micra said:

@Gordon_Ottershaw said:
    I think it was ok to have you with your W on. I think it is ok to get to the park to park in front of a hotel. We have a lot going on in this house that I have had been done for.

@Malone describes my posts as ‘wacky’.
    Interesting to know what he makes of your latest offering @Gordon_Ottershaw !

There's got to be some missing words/sentences surely? Makes zero sense otherwise.

• Crikey, I’ve just revisited. Zero sense indeed. Must be the weather. I’ve had problems with a couple of other posts (on the Swansea thread). I remember, decades ago, going on a “thinking and writing” course at the Treasury. Just an afternoon session and I couldn’t understand why anyone would need it but perhaps I’m wrong !

• Today's results went as badly as they could for us. Only goal difference will be keeping us up if Derby win at PNE on Tuesday.

It also means it looks like the current bottom three will be going down from the Championship. Peterboro and Hull look pretty certain to go up automatically. I hope Sunderland join them, i've had enough of them.

As for the teams look likely to get out of L2, with the possible exception of Bolton and Tranmere it's hard to see any of them surviving in L1 next season.

• I hate myself for having this thought. I hate myself even more for writing it down. he is an odious horrid little man. Hard to deny though that Adams has done an amazing job at Morecambe.

• The very real prospect of Sunderland coming up against Oxford in the play-offs is enticing after the rancour during and after their recent league encounter. Yet another dose of Wembley heartache for the PNL would be something to savour. Be good to see Blackpool promoted now they're out of the clutches of the Oystons.

Hopefully Cheltenham, Cambridge and FGR come up from L2 - three great away trips.

• Would like to do Cambridge away, a new ground for us. Cheltenham - worst food ever inside a stadium...FGR interesting but right in the back of beyond...not sure it would be worth a second visit.

• We must have played Cambridge half a dozen times. I've seen us there on at least three or four occasions.

• I'm one of the 12,000 Wycombe fans who claim to have seen Carlos Lopez play there

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Hopefully Cheltenham, Cambridge and FGR come up from L2 - three great away trips.

My thoughts exactly. In particular, I enjoyed my one trip to FGR & have always found a trip to Cheltenham a pleasant drive when leaving early to enjoy the views that the Cotswolds have to offer.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:

My thoughts exactly. In particular, I enjoyed my one trip to FGR & have always found a trip to Cheltenham a pleasant drive when leaving early to enjoy the views that the Cotswolds have to offer.

You know you’re getting old when leaving early for an away game is about having a pleasant drive and the joys of the Cotswolds.

• @MorrisItal_ said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:

You know you’re getting old when leaving early for an away game is about having a pleasant drive and the joys of the Cotswolds.

Oh poo, you've got me there. Just hate rushing now & driving like a lunatic. Also the delights of some better value nosh away from the ground is also appealing.

• @eric_plant said:
    I'm one of the 12,000 Wycombe fans who claim to have seen Carlos Lopez play there

Carlos Lopez at Cambridge is the WWFC version of Beatles at the Cavern, Sex Pistols at Lesser Free Trade Hall or Ramones at the Roundhouse.

• Cambridge away definitely not a new ground, was only a couple of years ago I stood on the terrace there and watched Eze score two screamers.

• Aaron Pierre scored a cracking late winner there. I also recall a Friday night game there too where some young Cambridge fans were baiting us before a Wycombe fan bellowed “OI SMALL BOYS! YOU’VE GOT NO PUBIC HAIR. SHUT UP!” Everyone sniggered and they stopped.

• @drcongo said:

@eric_plant said:
    I'm one of the 12,000 Wycombe fans who claim to have seen Carlos Lopez play there

Carlos Lopez at Cambridge is the WWFC version of Beatles at the Cavern, Sex Pistols at Lesser Free Trade Hall or Ramones at the Roundhouse.

I definitely saw Ramones at the Roundhouse, still a sacred memory!

• It's getting quite interesting in L1!

Could Sunderland balls it up again and miss out on the play-offs? 3 points from last 21. Plymouth (A) / Northampton (H).
    Lose both and two of Pompey, Charlton & Oxford win 2 games / Blackpool win 1 game they'd miss out on the play-offs.

Could Lincoln catch Peterborough? 8 points behind with three games to play. Posh have Lincoln at home next. Lincoln have a game in hand, win that and they will be 2 points behind last game of the season.
    Posh away at Doncaster / Lincoln at home to Wimbledon.

I think next year will be very tough to get in the top 7. Based on Peterborough taking that last auto spot we will be playing against all these teams except 2:

Derby
    Sheff Weds
    Rotherham

Sunderland
    Portsmouth
    Blackpool
    Charlton
    Ipswich
    Wigan Athletic

Bolton Wanderers - assuming they win one of their last two games.

Add to that clubs who've really challenged for long periods the last couple of seasons - Doncaster, Oxford, Lincoln, Fleetwood

That's 14 clubs (minus 2) including us who have either recently played in the Championship or consistently challenged at top end of L1 this season or last.

Not to mention Burton who have been on a huge upward trend with the return of Hasselbank and potentially Salford as I'm sure they'd be given funds to challenge.

I do hope we don't set expectations too high. I believe we have a really good chance of play-offs next season with GA/Dobbo at the helm and holding onto most of our squad but it is not cut and dried by any stretch of the imagination.

• Challenge accepted!

• Great post @Commoner and adding some realism is no bad thing. I'm not talking down promotion but have been saying for quite some time that we'll be very competitive in L1, for the reasons you point out. Could be a great season of competition.

• Good common sense there @Commoner. My own feeling is that we'll finish in the top ten but miss out on the play-offs. Which would still count as our fourth or fifth best season in the football league.

• Thanks @ValleyWanderer - I'm really looking forward to it and firmly believe we are in the mix.

I still read 7 of those clubs in that list and I'm a little star struck. Not long ago playing against them would have only been possible through drawing them in a Cup competition, probably 3rd round of the FA Cup and to be completely cliched it was "A Big Day Out"

To even now be competing against and hopeful of finishing above them in the table is testament to how far we've come over the last few seasons.

• And a good thing is, all of the above mentioned teams are more than likely to look and us and go "it's only little old Wycombe back" and hopefully totally underestimate us again

• It also shows how low some of the 'big teams' have dropped down the pyramid in recent years. No privileged places these days. A look at the National Leagues will also show how low you can go without good owners and management.