Skip to content

European super league

Comments

• Apparently this new Super League is backed by JP Morgan bank. Why don’t the yanks stick to their rounders, netball and rugby with shoulder pads and crash helmets. Next thing you know they will call this Super League ‘ The World Series’.

• JP Morgan Chase already sponsor football in the United States. The Super League is a bad idea, but I doubt you are serious about rejecting American money?!

• Burn it all down.

• The working man’s game. Brought to you by JP Morgan.

• I wonder if Roy Keane's reaction was triggered by Gary Neville saying the super league was something to be stamped on :)

• It’s going to be interesting to see how this power grab pans out. My guess is a compromise in which in exchange for retaining nominal control uefa creates a new champions league with core clubs.

• Late night for Mr Swann as he finds a way to blame this on Wycombe.

• I read it may start as soon as August. If the PL does boot them, this could save us in the craziest way possible, albeit in a pyramid with far less revenue.

• @Shev said:
    I read it may start as soon as August. If the PL does boot them, this could save us in the craziest way possible, albeit in a pyramid with far less revenue.

I think I'll take our relegation to League 1 over this absolute abomination ever coming into being.

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    It’s going to be interesting to see how this power grab pans out. My guess is a compromise in which in exchange for retaining nominal control uefa creates a new champions league with core clubs.

The idea is so half-baked you'd like to think that its use to the likes of Liverpool, Man Utd, Real Madrid, Barcelona et al is simply to create panic in UEFA and national FAs so that the big clubs can negotiate an even larger share of the current Champions League pie.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:

@Shev said:
    I read it may start as soon as August. If the PL does boot them, this could save us in the craziest way possible, albeit in a pyramid with far less revenue.

I think I'll take our relegation to League 1 over this absolute abomination ever coming into being.

I understand this perspective but I am two minds over it. I would happily let the door hit those six clubs on their way out of the league system, except that I have no way of knowing if it would affect us adversely. In theory the whole pyramid will lose so much TV money that it would be a shell of itself. But on the other hand, there is a chance it would force clubs to live within their means and stop overspending to chase the now-departed riches of the Premier League.

As such, it is impossible for me to really know what is best until it is too late!

• @ReadingMarginalista said:

@MorrisItal_ said:
    It’s going to be interesting to see how this power grab pans out. My guess is a compromise in which in exchange for retaining nominal control uefa creates a new champions league with core clubs.

The idea is so half-baked you'd like to think that its use to the likes of Liverpool, Man Utd, Real Madrid, Barcelona et al is simply to create panic in UEFA and national FAs so that the big clubs can negotiate an even larger share of the current Champions League pie.

Yes I agree, although even though I think they will UEFA shouldn’t back down. These clubs want to do a “Premier league” on the whole of European football which is to marginalise the rest of the game and concentrate any money for themselves

• Where is the PFA's statement regarding this?

I'm afraid this looks to be the latest in a growing list of things whereby the PFA is protecting its top 1% and not 99% of its members

• Let them go. Arseholes the lot of em. And the likes of Gary Neville making very decent impassioned speeches does make me laugh as he got very rich from the Premier League the original money siphon in our game.

• Happy for them to go. It’s a bit like when a big name actor left a soap. Talk of it being the end of everything but the juggernaut always keeps rolling.

The majority of supporters will ultimately accept it like they always do. I’ve never known a group of people who make so much noise when change is proposed but meekly accept it when it’s implemented and Sky offer them half price for 6 months on the additional channel they need to subscribe to.

• I'd be happy for them to leave and leave us with a truly competitive league were it not for the fans of those clubs. Thousands of them just like us, been travelling the length and breadth of the country for years, a love that's been passed down generations and has been with them since childhood.

They've already had to put up with things like hardly ever playing at 3 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon, and all seater stadia imposed on them. But this is next level stuff. Surely any self respecting fan would turn their back and never go again?

For those people, I really hope it doesn't happen.

• Its either the latest soulless money chasing farce from foreign owners with no regard for our game or just another effort to squeeze more money out of the already soulless Champions League from foreign owners with no regard for our game. Taking out competition makes the whole thing pointless. I would hope managers and players would come out against it never mind the fans. Shame on the English clubs.

• I'm not sure the outpouring of anger has ever been as big as this before, when even fans of said clubs are saying it should be stopped and they should be deducted points or relegated over it.

As usual its mainly fans in Africa, middle east and Asia that are keen on it, as they just sit on the chair at home and watch it anyway

• What will be interesting today is if any players at the clubs come out and say anything

• @Guppys_Left_Leg said:
    Where is the PFA's statement regarding this?

I'm afraid this looks to be the latest in a growing list of things whereby the PFA is protecting its top 1% and not 99% of its members

• @Shev said:

@ReadingMarginalista said:

@Shev said:

I understand this perspective but I am two minds over it. I would happily let the door hit those six clubs on their way out of the league system, except that I have no way of knowing if it would affect us adversely. In theory the whole pyramid will lose so much TV money that it would be a shell of itself. But on the other hand, there is a chance it would force clubs to live within their means and stop overspending to chase the now-departed riches of the Premier League.

As such, it is impossible for me to really know what is best until it is too late!

Don't get me wrong, the status quo is terrible enough as it is. The power these 'franchises' (as they would become) would have over clubs in legitimate national pyramid structures by virtue of starving them of money and being able to cream off any potentially half decent player would snuff out any chance of a brave new world for the likes of us in the aftermath of this power grab.

• Makes me laugh all these armchair pl customers getting their knickers in a twist every time a European Super League is threatened. The same people who have funded sky and the pl, ruining football for the last 30 years. You reap what you sow lads.

• edited April 2021

Who do they think they are?

The Premier League is not ideal but a closed shop Super League would be a much worse entity to have at the top of football. The 6 greedy English clubs involved must have broken a Premier League rule. The Premier League should deduct a point per day for every day from their current totals until they renounce their plans. I would bet Tottenham and Arsenal would soon crack.

• Let em go. I rarely watch the PL and never CL as I find the sideways passing for fifteen minutes before a quick break incredibly tedious. A closed shop league like the NFL would be a snooze fest. No thanks. I'd rather watch Wycombe in any league, even that cold away day at Mansfield a few years ago with dense fog and by the end of it I couldn't feel my knees. 4 all draws with a dog on the pitch for me please. Maybe all those Chelsea fans will start coming to watch the real blues instead?

• Let them go. Drop them from national leagues and no international representation. All that UEFA and FIFA threaten. (But I doubt they will stay strong and actually do that)

Not stopping any individual following their preferred career path - they would choose where to try to ply their trade. It’s then whether money is more important to the individual than playing for his/her country.

increasing these “top” teams revenues even more compared to others would so totally distort the game it would make allowing them into a national league a farce. (Even more than it is now)

If they are allowed to stay I hope all fans would boycott matches involving them, and even other teams in the national leagues refusing to play them.

• @railwaysteve said:
    Who do they think they are?

The Premier League is not ideal but a closed shop Super League would be a much worse entity to have at the top of football. The 6 greedy English clubs involved must have broken a Premier League rule. The Premier League should deduct a point per day for every day from their current totals until they renounce their plans. I would bet Tottenham and Arsenal would soon crack.

Absolutely, though the likes of Rio and Neville pontificating about those left behind from their Sky and BT microphones is hypocrisy let's not have that overshadow how shitty this idea is, Closed shops, most countries not included, entry based on someone shadys opinions of 20/21 balance sheets, 6 out of 20 clubs are Investment company owned English teams and they stay forever. No mention of how this becomes fairer and £ drips down in the future. All a load of old crap. Have to agree they should be thrown out of all other competitions and have players banned from National teams if they want this circus.

• I only really watch PL on MOTD and hardly ever bother with CL. Does watching an already qualified rich team's third team play out some aimless draw against the Serbian runners up in the group stages hold any interest for fans? A tight competition involving the Champions only of each league would be more exciting and reduce the much maligned fixture congestion...but mean less money and the outside chance of the Estonian champions knocking out Chelski! In short everything that makes a cup competition intetesting. If you remove chance and competition from sport...what's the point?

• What is this nonsense about them being happy to play in the domestic league on the weekend! How long is the season going to be with no midweek games?

Kick them all out today. What they’re proposing is so crap I’d have no issue whatsoever in just picking a new club if I was a supporter. I don’t think I could recognise it as my team at all.

I’m sure if it goes ahead it will still be successful, thanks to supporters who are simply unable to say no. Just look at the conversations on here when we play MK Dons for example. Anyone who says they won’t go gets told they’re a bad supporter, ruining our boys’ chances or is told to ‘get over it’.

If people will not take a stand, this will just keep rolling.

• How about the national leagues creating replacement teams AFC... and let them ground share with nearby remaining member clubs, that would throw the cat among the pigeons

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    How about the national leagues creating replacement teams AFC... and let them ground share with nearby remaining member clubs, that would throw the cat among the pigeons

On second thoughts that’s a terrible idea