Skip to content

European super league

An announcement this evening by all accounts, cant see it happening in reality, but... if it does, will we be spared relegation !?

Comments

• Why would the 6 or so richest clubs in the premier league joining a souped up closed entry version of the champions league in a few years have any impact on us this season?

• It would only save us if it was 100% confirmed and the PL kicked them out before next season as a result, shifting all divisions up by six. I doubt that would happen though - the PL would want the TV money till the bitter end.

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56794673

A small group of clubs want to break away out of their own greed and the premier league complain bitterly well well well

• It'll all come down to money. If they believe enough people (I'll not call them football supporters) will decide to pay to watch - either live or on TV - it will succeed.
    Therefore, the best way to stop it is for football supports to ensure that they, their family, friends and acquaintances make it known they'll boycott it.
    It's ironic hearing Gary Neville* speak so passionately against it on Sky as I'd bet they would jump at the chance to screen the matches.

• Good to hear though and all credit to him for nailing his colours firmly to the cross against it.
  • edited April 2021

Spot on @twizz.

People very quickly rejected that ludicrous £15 a game pay per view plan. Hopefully this nonsense gets rejected too.

I expect all that will really happen is that the champions league is revamped, with more money in that.
    That'll probably suit all sides.

I'm sure almost ever single fan would agree that closed shop competitions are the biggest no no in football.

• @Malone said:
    Why would the 6 or so richest clubs in the premier league joining a souped up closed entry version of the champions league in a few years have any impact on us this season?

Like I say I dont think it will happen, but a few reports I've read suggests they would consider expelling the clubs straight away, even Gary Neville has said today that any club that joins up should get deducted points for this season.

• Let's hope Derby, Coventry and Rotherham sign up for it, then.

• @HolmerBlue what do you mean by "even Gary Neville"?

• Has the televising of matches with no supporters played into the hands of those behind this money making scheme? If “football” can be marketed globally without supporters why bother taking them into account locally if enough international interest can be garnered worldwide to get the tv revenue and global replica kit sales?

If it transpires the clubs have signed a letter of intent then they should be thrown out of current leagues starting with next season.

• @Malone, UEFA are announcing the plans for the revamped Champions League tomorrow according to the reports I've read.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56794673

I wonder if this is just a cynical ploy to "adjust" the way the revamp goes.

• @eric_plant said:
    @HolmerBlue what do you mean by "even Gary Neville"?

Haha I dont know really, you've got me there ! I suppose just hearing pundits and ex players of these big clubs condemning it shows how bad it is, guess I just picked on him as an example

• @HolmerBlue said:

@Malone said:
    Why would the 6 or so richest clubs in the premier league joining a souped up closed entry version of the champions league in a few years have any impact on us this season?

Like I say I dont think it will happen, but a few reports I've read suggests they would consider expelling the clubs straight away, even Gary Neville has said today that any club that joins up should get deducted points for this season.

Gary Neville doesn't have any influence on it.

But while it's a horrible idea all round, seeing Sky people getting nervous about a big money breakaway league is some sumptuous irony.

• edited April 2021

@Twizz said:
    @Malone, UEFA are announcing the plans for the revamped Champions League tomorrow according to the reports I've read.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56794673

I wonder if this is just a cynical ploy to "adjust" the way the revamp goes.

I would say for sure.
    I'd say it's a load of posturing on all sides, eventually sorted with a re-vamped champions league with more money dished around. Probably increasing favours to the big clubs in terms of guaranteed entry.

You can't see it just going away, like with that horrible 39th game idea, and the charging £15 pay per view, but you can see things changing for sure.

• only 5 English clubs? Which of Posh, Sunderland, Ipswich, Oxford, Fleetwood and Pompey is missing out?

• The thing is, these current CL discussions were in response to the prior threat, and ostensibly the big clubs are being given significant concessions (extra spots which would have meant Liverpool and Chelsea get in even if they miss the top four). For so many organizations to round on the plan quickly in condemnation makes me think it is legitimate.

Good riddance - the PL lost any soul a long time ago, and it might be a bit watchable if it was more like the current Championship, with the likes of Leicester, West Ham and Everton vying for the title.

• @Shev said:
    The thing is, these current CL discussions were in response to the prior threat, and ostensibly the big clubs are being given significant concessions (extra spots which would have meant Liverpool and Chelsea get in even if they miss the top four). For so many organizations to round on the plan quickly in condemnation makes me think it is legitimate.

Good riddance - the PL lost any soul a long time ago, and it might be a bit watchable if it was more like the current Championship, with the likes of Leicester, West Ham and Everton vying for the title.

Leicester and Everton should be fuming if they miss out to Arsenal and Tottenham.
    Tottenham have won about 1 trophy in about 2 decades, while Leicester have won a league and repeatedly finish above Arsenal.
    If they're doing it on "history", then Everton certainly have a greater trophy history than Tottenham too.

• How boring would it be to watch the same teams over and over with no relegation

• I can't see too many fans of the clubs in question being happy, but world interest is such that local fan base does not matter like it used to for these monolithic clubs. If it will mean more TV money from other continents, who cares if local diehards rip up their season tickets? There will be a million tourist fans to replace them.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    How boring would it be to watch the same teams over and over with no relegation

Absolutely massively.

It's why whenever they've rejigged the divisions size wise, or in the recent covid situation last year, the idea of no relegations has always been fought aggressively.

• Find it ironic that the PL are complaining and threatening sanctions. They didn't give two ?? all them years ago when they broke up the FL!

• The ultimate vision is a football version of the NFL, which should be anathema to every fan.

• Football will eat itself eventually and the sooner it does it and let’s those left return to the sport and not the money the better it will be for me.
    Let these clubs sign up for this new competition. Let FIFA and EUFA stop any signed up players play international football and let battle commence. Of course clubs like Man City want to concrete in a place at the top table after only recently in recent years played in their countries third tier. Why would they want sport to stop them earning money in their stadium built for the Commonwealth games.
    Fairly relaxed it won’t happen but also not phased if it does. It will just be games on a TV channel I don’t subscribe too. Not different to current European football, just with added money to make the players less bothered about trying that hard.

• Any proposition that enshrines Spurs as permanent members and one of the top clubs in Europe is clearly bonkers.
    What happens to Chelsea btw if Roman clears off. Milan and Barcelona could be argued to be clubs of historic important if that actually mattered. Chelsea, PSG etc just got lucky with owners.
    Always seems to be those with the most nervously trying to keep it away from those who are already short.
    Hopefully they take VAR with them.

• edited April 2021

@StrongestTeam said:
    Any proposition that enshrines Spurs as permanent members and one of the top clubs in Europe is clearly bonkers.
    What happens to Chelsea btw if Roman clears off. Milan and Barcelona could be argued to be clubs of historic important if that actually mattered. Chelsea, PSG etc just got lucky with owners.
    Always seems to be those with the most nervously trying to keep it away from those who are already short.

This is the bit I'm struggling with.

Why do Tottenham get in over Leicester or Everton?

Tottenham have won 1 league cup in the best part of 2 decades.
    Leicester keep them out on recent things, Everton with 7 league titles more, keep them out on history.

Surely a nice stadium doesn't get you in?

Similar for Arsenal, but at least they have the history if not the current.

How many are in this proposal?

10? 12?

Surely between

AC Milan
    Inter Milan
    Barcelona
    Real Madrid
    Juventus
    PSG
    Bayern
    Arguably Atletico Madrid and Dortmund, you'd fill most of the places up and only have a max 4 from England?

• @Malone said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    Any proposition that enshrines Spurs as permanent members and one of the top clubs in Europe is clearly bonkers.

This is the bit I'm struggling with.

Why do Tottenham get in over Leicester or Everton?

Tottenham have won 1 league cup in the best part of 2 decades.
    Leicester keep them out on recent things, Everton with 7 league titles more, keep them out on history.

Surely a nice stadium doesn't get you in?

Similar for Arsenal, but at least they have the history if not the current.

Sounds like it's to do with overall value or potential earnings, certainly balance sheet related rather than sporting performance.

• I've always avoided the Champions League as much as possible. After weeks of saying the game is nothing without fans another money making farce by suits with no real feeling for the game putting two fingers up to them. It would be nice if this would bring real people back to the game being played at the lower levels!

• No Bayern or PSG.... apparently all German and French teams have refused to take part... fair play to them !

• Reports suggesting 6 English teams, 3 Spanish and 3 Italian... so I'm not even sure how you can call it European with only 3 nations in it ??

• @HolmerBlue German teams are 51% owned by the fans, I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

• I'd say it's more the fact Bayern and PSG have walk over leagues and they don't want to lose their status!