Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• I did enjoy their gallows humour when we visited:

"We lose every week
    We lose every week
    You're nothing special
    We lose every week."

Didn't seem to be massive support for him at that point.

• Remember when they came to our place and played 'the right way', in other words the Rochdale way, and ended up losing 3-1.
    Don't seem to have progressed much since then. Wonder if the next manager will continue to play 'the right way'?

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Dale Vince their millionaire hippy owner has serious aspirations for the club, new sustainability ground, unique ‘green’ positioning in the market place. Cooper was lucky to have as long a run at it as he did. Fans wanted him gone a couple of seasons back. They are a club to watch and, frankly, a breath of fresh air as a club (pun intended ?).

Can't help but feel that his aspirations, many of which are admirable (environmentalism, veganism) have a glass ceiling because of the location.

Nailsworth has a population of less than 6k. Even if you count Stroud the catchment is less than 40k.

We struggle to get top half attendances when in L1/L2 and High Wycombe's population is 125k.

I also get the feeling from visiting and spending time in the Cotswolds that it is not footballing country. People seem less engaged with it, even with the Premier League.

No matter how much money he ploughs in, what he does with the facilities, as soon as he leaves I think they'll drop back to the Conference very quickly.

• In more of a rugby area really. Gloucester, Bath etc, well supported rugby clubs in cities whose football clubs are minor by comparison.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    Remember when they came to our place and played 'the right way', in other words the Rochdale way, and ended up losing 3-1.
    Don't seem to have progressed much since then. Wonder if the next manager will continue to play 'the right way'?

Seriously? As I recall, the 3-1 home win was early on in their first season in the league. I think we can allow them a bad day in that context. They've gone from newly promoted to being one of the stronger teams in the league in 3.5 years. Seem to be doing just fine to me.

• @HCblue From what I remember, people were expecting FGR to storm the division thanks to Dale Vince's money. I think they were one of the favourites to go up that year. Seems a bit strange to me that, based on that, they haven't done so in the four years since.

• Quick! The owner has long hair and is possibly a rock fan! What are Gareth's views on veganism and climate change???

• Have to say, whatever anyone's views on FGR as a sustainable club/rich man's folly, it's pretty much the friendliest ground I've been to with Wycombe since we joined the FL - fans, stewards, bar staff. And the food was superb.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Have to say, whatever anyone's views on FGR as a sustainable club/rich man's folly, it's pretty much the friendliest ground I've been to with Wycombe since we joined the FL - fans, stewards, bar staff. And the food was superb.

Spot on @MindlessDrugHoover, my son still raves on about their samosas & wants to return there!

• Yes, even though we have to stand on a pony small terrace with no roof it is still an enjoyable day out.

• Dearth of Definitive Ex-Player News lately!

• Feeding off crumbs:
    Josh Parker isn’t in the Burton squad since returning from World Cup duty.

• Not ex-player but ex-CEO Mark Ashton has just moved from CEO of Bristol City FC to Ipswich Town FC. He left us because he didn't want to work in football any more....

• edited April 2021

Just did a long old post about how I didn't remember that being a reason and then as I hit save realised that I was thinking of Mark Palmer.

As you were....

• didn't he join the Caravan Club of Great Britain after leaving us? Before pitching up at Oxford? Or was that another CEO?

• @DevC said:
    Not ex-player but ex-CEO Mark Ashton has just moved from CEO of Bristol City FC to Ipswich Town FC. He left us because he didn't want to work in football any more....

I'm sure I've read online somewhere in the last day or two that the new owners of Ipswich that are worth Billions are planning on investing about 700 million into the club.... that couldve swayed him to move and stay

• £700 million? They'll need a Redknapp or a Pardew to get through that.

• @DevC said:
    Not ex-player but ex-CEO Mark Ashton has just moved from CEO of Bristol City FC to Ipswich Town FC. He left us because he didn't want to work in football any more....

Becoming the Banton equivalent in football administration. West Brom, Watford, Wycombe, Oxford, Bristol City and now Ipswich.

• @HolmerBlue said:

@DevC said:

I'm sure I've read online somewhere in the last day or two that the new owners of Ipswich that are worth Billions are planning on investing about 700 million into the club.... that couldve swayed him to move and stay

Yep, there is some old waffle from both seller and buyer about how they can only be sustainable in the Prem and need to invest to get there. Similar from the lot taking over at Derby. Any idea of financial sense from EFL owners as a result of the pandemic is hopeful at best

• I remember him now, this guy:

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/3995357.oliver-phillips-reflects-on-the-departure-of-mark-ashton-from-watford/

I seem to remember a few of us expressing our misgivings about him with Alan Parry leaping to a passionate defence of his appointment.

In the end it didn't really matter because thankfully he resigned after 4 months

• Tried to read the Watford Observer stuff for which you provided a link @eric_plant but, for some obscure reason, kept getting Norton 360 pop-ups telling me the site was unsafe. Very odd.

• So it all comes to nothing in the end

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Have to say, whatever anyone's views on FGR as a sustainable club/rich man's folly, it's pretty much the friendliest ground I've been to with Wycombe since we joined the FL - fans, stewards, bar staff. And the food was superb.

Dead right. Still remember my day fondly despite the naff terrace. Best samosas ever and bought my programme from a lovely man and his two young children who were doing the job with naive enthusiasm.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Feeding off crumbs:

My daughter spotted him clothes shopping in Wycombe this week, which would suggest he's injured.

• @Stoat_Goggles said:

@perfidious_albion said:
    Feeding off crumbs:

My daughter spotted him clothes shopping in Wycombe this week, which would suggest he's injured.

I don't think it suggests that, doesn't he own a coffee shop in the Eden centre?

• The coffee shop - called Tone - is on Baker Street, opposite Aldi, part of the DESBOX @OxfordBlue.

• @Twizz said:
    The coffee shop - called Tone - is on Baker Street, opposite Aldi, part of the DESBOX @OxfordBlue.

What is the DESBOX please?

• The shipping container shops by Aldi ‘round the back of Desborough Road.

Didn’t know that was his.

• @eric_plant said:
    I remember him now, this guy:

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/3995357.oliver-phillips-reflects-on-the-departure-of-mark-ashton-from-watford/

I seem to remember a few of us expressing our misgivings about him with Alan Parry leaping to a passionate defence of his appointment.

In the end it didn't really matter because thankfully he resigned after 4 months

I thought that was Simon Monkman former CEO of the NAAFI?