Skip to content

Match day thread: Luton

Comments

• Profound comment from our Simon - 88 minutes gone and he’s saying that should be game over. Against ten demoralised men losing 3-1.

• Credit to Luton for that 2nd half performance. Worked up a proper head of steam. Red card the clincher - definitely not one for me.

• fuck off and fuck off more you cunty stinking shithole fucking wank

• Soft pen. Soft red. Poor game for the ref.

Shame as it really would have made the run in exciting had we got 3 pts.

Even 5 wins probably won’t be enough with our GD.

• Soft as it gets red card another for the reel of refereeing horrors

• Saddens me to say it but it’s definitely League 1 next season. See you all there.

• Even more frustrating given so many other results went our way. Reckon there's a reasonable chance of the red being overturned but makes no difference now, does it.

• The saving grace is that Coventry, Wednesday & Derby lost as well and Rotherham & Huddersfield drew so no real change at the bottom...

It is still mathematically possible for us to avoid relegation but the nature of today's loss will be pretty gutting for the squad

• Tried to scroll back on ifollow to see the Knight red I missed, but it's buffering, so sod it, it doesn't really matter now.

It was always going to be the tightest of margins to stay up, very likely needing to win all 6 which was never happening.

• Red card was a game changer. Can see why it was given, but very harsh. Knight's foot slipped on the ball which led the follow through into the player. Very similar to the Barnsley sending off against us. Would normally say it's not worth an appeal, but as that was rescinded, I'd think it would be worth trying.

• Knight’s sending off was stupid. Even if it wasn’t a red and we win an appeal you go in like that in the middle of nowhere and you give a ref a chance to send you off.

And on that one moment our hopes ended. No defensive cover for 3 games. Possible victory to defeat today. I hope he learns as that was pretty unfortunate to say the least.

• Cant see why people are moaning, it was definitely a red ! As I said earlier if it had been against us you'd have said it was

• Some consolation perhaps if we hit that 40 point Historic Chase target.

• How disappointing. Thought we were really good in an unspectacular way in the first half and had Luton rather rattled. Even before the red, thought we were sloppy in the second half, then the red effectively decided the game. But super-disappointing to concede their first in that way.

Today was the first time I thought I could imagine why Norwich might have let Anis go.

• I love this club! We gave everything. Nothing but pride in this bunch.

Football is a continuing story. There will be another point we are riding high and Luton are scuffling along. Let's take this on the chin and go out cheering the boys, even if it just echoes around our living rooms!

• Don’t think it was a red good chance on appeal, Annis has to improve on certain aspects of his game. Not sure he will get to the top as gaz suggests but still a quality player for us especially in league one.

• After the red card it was only a matter of time before they filled their boots. Disappointing as we more than held our own with our standout defender this season still on the pitch. Just didn't have the legs or the quality to hold on. Massively frustrating as a win would have really put us in with a fighting chance of pulling off the great escape.
    Alas, if we were playing the part of Virgil Hilts before the game, we're now playing the part of Lazarus, in need of a miracle to survive.

Knight's red may have been a bit soft, but definitely one to file under "a red card these days". No doubt we were all to a man clamouring for that Barnsley player to be sent off against us for an identical challenge, so we have to take that on the chin and appeal the red (which Barnsley did successfully).

• @Shev said:
    I love this club! We gave everything. Nothing but pride in this bunch.

Football is a continuing story. There will be another point we are riding high and Luton are scuffling along. Let's take this on the chin and go out cheering the boys, even if it just echoes around our living rooms!

Very much this.
    It wasn't that long ago we'd just lost to Southend and were gutted, while they eagerly enjoyed their promotion.
    Look at both clubs now.

Our time will hopefully come again next season. The damage was done in the first couple of months. It would have taken title winning form to rescue it, and even then that's not sure due to all the games in hand above us.

• I wonder if even the most argumentative gasroomer would deny the next game is now "must win".

• @micra said:
    Some consolation perhaps if we hit that 40 point Historic Chase target.

Come on, son, you know you want to!

• Gareth has said in his post match interview that he expects the red card to be overturned. Definitely going to appeal then.

• @Gary said:
    Gareth has said in his post match interview that he expects the red card to be overturned. Definitely going to appeal then.

Infuriating in a way if it is, as that's lost us the game.

• Thanks @Shev:> @Shev said:

I love this club! We gave everything. Nothing but pride in this bunch.

I thought we played with some style in patches, in particular at the end with the attacks down the right. Jones had to change the formation at half time in order to counter a deserved lead at half time. He was lucky that the sending off then worked to have Luton set right for the period after the sending off, when Gareth had to reset without having the resources to do so .

As @Shev says we then gave everything. Wonderful team, wouldn't want a word against any of them. Looking forward to the time we can cheer a win against Luton at Adams Park. This time wasn't to be, but we matched a side who are established right in the middle of the Championship, for this season anyway.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Cant see why people are moaning, it was definitely a red ! As I said earlier if it had been against us you'd have said it was

Let’s see what happens on appeal eh? That tackle wouldn’t have been a red card for all bar the last year or two of my football watching life but the current games has changed in to the realm of technical fouls and no common sense from officials. Knight stretched and his foot bounced of the top of the ball on to the leg. I am not actually sure if that is a red card these days.

If the recent Barnsley decision is anything to go by it will be rescinded on appeal but that is not really the point. I just think certain skills of the game have to be so perfect now the margin for error is so small it’s almost impossible. Tackling and running off the last defender will be forgotten arts.

Professional first half from us today. I think we would have won today

• Mehmeti has the capacity to be a star for sure. Taking the penalty showed some mental strength but he has a lot to learn and division 1 will be a harder learning place than the championship in some ways. He will have learn to be more effective with less time as showed today when he’s closed down quickly he becomes smothered. I have high hopes but he’s still very much a work in progress.

• Luton exploited the extra man very well in a way we never seem to do when playing against ten.

Disappointing first goal. I think the wall was all wrong and was more or less an open invitation to stick the ball where he did. Once they got one I think we all knew what was coming.

Hugely proud of this lot though, and not only today. They've played at a level I didn't think was possible this season, and they've given me belief we can do so again.

(thought Curtis Thompson was superb today, he is every inch a Championship player.....what on earth were Notts County thinking of?)

• I think Luton got very fortunate with the red card, as before that we looked like we might add a 2nd on the break with the extra space in midfield. After the sending it was them exploiting the space and they did it very well.

Proud of the team though, key players injured and even down to 10 we gave absolutely everything.

Using the Barnsley template, we should get the red card overturned. Hugely surprised though I was that was rescinded, if there's any consistency Knight will be available next week.

• You’ll have to forgive me, but I quite admire Luton. Full of players you can’t stand but who would be cult heroes here, aggressive but smart, physical but well organized.

I guess that’s the difference between the first and second seasons at this level.

• Convinced we will be back in the championship very soon I’m sure we will stay up when we do. Not sure we were really ready for promotion last year but we have proved most doubters wrong ie mr Swann. Onwards and upwards.